Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copper Coast Drive

Options
  • 21-12-2011 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Thinking of taking a day over Xmas/New Year to go for a spin somewhere and was wondering if this coastal drive is any good?

Any handy places to stay or particular areas worth visiting??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Do it when the sun is out, much nicer drive IMO. :)

Here is a map for the Copper Coast Drive anyway;
    http://www.discovertramore.ie/copper.pdf

Some of the villages have small little shops but id say there closed over the winter period. The beaches along the route are nice, stop along the way for a walk and to admire the view.

You could also take the South East Coastal Drive if you wanted a longer spin.
    http://www.discovertramore.ie/secoastal.pdf

Either towards Cork or Wexford, whichever route takes your fancy I guess. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Sully wrote: »

Here is a map for the Copper Coast Drive anyway;
    http://www.discovertramore.ie/copper.pdf

Some of the villages have small little shops but id say there closed over the winter period. The beaches along the route are nice, stop along the way for a walk and to admire the view.

You could also take the South East Coastal Drive if you wanted a longer spin.
    http://www.discovertramore.ie/secoastal.pdf

Either towards Cork or Wexford, whichever route takes your fancy I guess. :)

That's great thanks for that. hopefully the mildish weather will continue for a bit longer! Is the copper coast drive just a shorter version of the SE coastal drive then or a different route completely?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

V480 wrote: »
    That's great thanks for that. hopefully the mildish weather will continue for a bit longer! Is the copper coast drive just a shorter version of the SE coastal drive then or a different route completely?

The SE Coastal Drive pretty much goes along the same route as the Copper Coast drive. Could take a day out - take the coastal route to Cork and pop into Mahon Point SC or Cork City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Thinking of taking a day over Xmas/New Year to go for a spin somewhere and was wondering if this coastal drive is any good?

Any handy places to stay or particular areas worth visiting??

There is a film called The McKenzie Break filmed in Co Waterford. The last 20 minutes or so are all along the copper coast.

It's a very nice drive. I'd recommend starting at the Tramore side and work towards Dungarvan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Go early and visit the Mahon Falls :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pin9-qllIUM

Stop by the famous tree , where your car will roll up the hill .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=DW1-uGlNLO0&feature=endscreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Go early and visit the Mahon Falls :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pin9-qllIUM

Stop by the famous tree , where your car will roll up the hill .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=DW1-uGlNLO0&feature=endscreen

Was the magic tree not destroyed by bell-ends?

Was the magic tree not destroyed by bell-ends?

Aye and IIRC it was replaced and cut down again. :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

I saw the replacement didn't know it was cut down again. If you do go up have a look at the Coumshingaun lake went for a swim this year really cold but its nice and clean great to look at if its not foggy.

Stop into Annestown beach you can walk along the cliff to the left of the car park great view also you can pull in at the old mine I sometimes do this spin from passage as far as bunmahon.

We have many beaches in Waterford that are hidden gems some you need to walk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,471 ✭✭✭✭looksee

dayshah wrote: »
    There is a film called The McKenzie Break filmed in Co Waterford. The last 20 minutes or so are all along the copper coast.

It's a very nice drive. I'd recommend starting at the Tramore side and work towards Dungarvan.

Thats interesting that you would express a preference, I always think the views driving towards Tramore are better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

looksee wrote: »
    Thats interesting that you would express a preference, I always think the views driving towards Tramore are better!

Once I went in that direction on a cold day with some snow on the Comeraghs. Between Annestown and Bunmahon there is a nice bit of cliff and you can see the Comeraghs too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,471 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Which ever way you go, it is a beautiful stretch of coastline with some lovely beaches.

I think Stradbally is my favourite, but I have been on Annestown beach on a fine winter morning with just a bit of mist turning the headlands into layers of pearly grey shapes and the sea smooth and polished with a touch of pink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Can anybody suggest a handy hotel to stay for a night in the vacinity? I'll be travelling from Cork dir. and heading towards Tramore...

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Can anybody suggest a handy hotel to stay for a night in the vacinity? I'll be travelling from Cork dir. and heading towards Tramore...

Open to correction but the only hotel is in Cork, Dungarvan or Ardmore (the Cliff House Hotel which isn't cheap). Then the remaining hotels would be in Tramore.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Garryvoe hotel is good. Not fond of the Park in Dungarvan. If you are in the money, the Cliffhouse in Ardmore really is the poodles' privates,plus the village with round tower and monastic ruins and a lovely local pottery/craft shop is worth a rootle.Otherwise,I'd head for somewhere like Faithlegg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

What about Dungarvan for the night, easy walk to the beach, pleasant pubs restaurants.
    One could go out to Stradbally or Clonea and you are only a hop from Mahon Falls going to Tramore direction.
    Dunmore East brilliant. Waterford might be enticing with all the sales.
    In truth it is a brilliant part of this lovely island.
    Enjoy and happy new year, drive safely

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Sully wrote: »
    Certainly is beautifull when the sun is out, I personally think its also well worth a Drive when the wind is up, You'd need a hat for the walks but amazing high seas hitting the rocks and cliffs. Looks like you'll have the best of both worlds over the next few days. I saw somewhere the Tramore to Dungarvan drive (or vice versa) being one of Irelands best hidden treasures. Id have to agree.

There are a few nice B&B's in Bunmahon too. Enjoy the trip.

Advertisement