Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem getting an eircom phone line/broadband

Options
  • 21-12-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i ordered an eircom phone/broadband package on the 20th of october and after i had weighed up various other providers i chose eircom.

I rent a house from an extended family member and the house needed a phone line connected.
    A date for the start of november was agreed for the engineer to call out and connect the line.

On the day in question i was unavailable so my Girlfriend dealt with them.
    The engineer stated that he would " have to put up a pole and it would take weeks and that we needed to agree to this" so we did on the spot having already agreed in princple with our landlord....
    Yesterday a full 2 months after we ordered the line/package we still had no line and no service!

Called customer support to try to reslove the matter and was told that the engineers were very busy due to recent storm damage which is fair enough and that it would be the new yr before we got a line in... they could provide no further info as to what the house lacked/needed in terms of hardware and when i asked politely to speak to a supervisor/manager the line /call went dead.

I called back and eventually got to speak to an uninterested manager who had no further info for me and who eventually set a date for the 9th of January for an engineer to call back out once more..
    My question is.. why does it take 2+ months to process something which in the contract says will take 10 days?

Why did the eingineer not leave a detailed report on the issues of the line and info on the work needed either by eircom our ourselfs!
    do eircom not want new customers ?
    Just one last final thing. We live in rural Co Wexford and are 130 meters from the nearest substation with nothing between it and our house except a field and a horse!

what is the story eircom?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Normal install takes 10 days at most, eircom poles ( where additionally required) take months. If he could have slung it in from an existing pole I'd reckon 10 days would do it in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I agree totally. However if it is a larger job requiring more work should eircom not have explained this instead of leaving us in the lurch?
    In my first post i admitted that the system is stretched due to recent weather events ,all i wanted was a proper notification by them as to a realistic timescale for the install!

If i had known in october i would be waiting 2 months or more as it is now for eircom to connect a house 130 mtrs from an exchange i would have taken my business elsewhere that day!

Not arguing that its an abnormal install but we made it clear the situation on the day we ordered it.
    Its the lack of information that is my problem...

You never get anything in writing, not even a receipt. This is what passes for 'regulation' up in Comreg. But thinks have improved hugely over 2006 or 2007 when you could easily wait over a year for a line.

Whoever built a house 130m from the nearest pole should have put in ducting (eg hydrodare pipe) to the road from the house as well....in my opinion.

The house has been fully wired and cabled out to the road. This was explained to the engineer and the location of the cable was visible on the day he called.
    I did not require a report in writing as such but ANY information would have been a start.

If it is cabled to the road ( as should be the norm nowadays) then where does the 130m gap come in to it?? Crayons and sketches welcome.

• Advertisement

ah... MUSHA........thanks for the "help" sponge......... if you read my op carefully the details are right their for you!
    1. 130 meters to the nearest substation.....
    2. The house is wired as per normal internally and has a line running from the front of the house to exterior , near the front door approx 5 meters from the road.

Do you require a sketch spongebob? Its just i have copied eircom and now no longer provide that kind of info.....
    you can't beat good old Irish help eh?

By substation do you mean cabinet or 'green box' by the road ?? Substations are ESB plant :D

Where is the nearest POLE to the cable by the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

barney 20v wrote: »
    ah... MUSHA........thanks for the "help" sponge......... if you read my op carefully the details are right their for you!
    1. 130 meters to the nearest substation.....
    2. The house is wired as per normal internally and has a line running from the front of the house to exterior , near the front door approx 5 meters from the road.

Do you require a sketch spongebob? Its just i have copied eircom and now no longer provide that kind of info.....
    you can't beat good old Irish help eh?
    I have to say I don't see where you've clarified what happens to any cable once it reaches the "exterior". Does it stop in an access box (white) mounted into the side of the house? Or have you ducting in place going from that to the road itself? If you do have ducting going all the way to the road then there shouldn't be any need for a pole.

Advertisement