Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book formats. How long does it take...

Options
  • 21-12-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

...for the new larger book sizes of recently published books to start being sold in the smaller format.

I want to get Jeffrey Eugenides' new book, but it's still in that larger format, which I just find uncomfortable to read from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Do you mean hardback and trade paperback sizes? I assume you want to buy the book in mass-market paperback form. I checked Amazon and the book won't be release in this format until April 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

It's normally 6 months to 9 months, but depends on things like winning prizes (they tend to rush the smaller paperback edition if it's not too soon after the original release) but books like Harry Potter can stay in hardback for the full year. As Ellie says above, it's April, which isn't so bad. You could probably get the trade edition for a similar enough price to the paperback, if it's price (and not size) that you're worried about.

Really looking forward to that one as well. I have loads to read (and got loads more for Christmas) so I'll definitely be waiting until April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I recall a theory that suggested some publishers prefer to hold back on producing a second print of paperbacks so that people who really want the book will go out and by the more expensive hardback version. Can't vouch for how true that is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Niles wrote: »
    I recall a theory that suggested some publishers prefer to hold back on producing a second print of paperbacks so that people who really want the book will go out and by the more expensive hardback version. Can't vouch for how true that is though.

Might happen on occasion, but I found the opposite to be true: if a book wins a prize and is still in hardback, chances are they'll rush the paperback edition (as long as it hasn't just been released in hardback). It makes sense as the added publicity will make the book more desirable, doubly so if it's in a nice compact paperback.

Advertisement