Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooking a 7.5kg Ham

Options
  • 21-12-2011 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi everyone

Long time lurker first time poster, I have just received massive 7.5kg dry cured ham and I am not sure how long to cook this beast for. I know boiling it is out of the questions because its dry cured and I don’t want it to lose the flavor.

What is the recommend cooking time for roasting a ham of this size, hope someone can help

Sorry I should have added that it is of the bone

Happy Christmas

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm not sure. A joint of bacon is usually something like 20 minutes per kg, with an extra 20 at the end. I haven't checked our ham yet, might be longer - 45 per kg. What do your instructions say?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

loadsofham wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Long time lurker first time poster, I have just received massive 7.5kg dry cured ham and I am not sure how long to cook this beast for. I know boiling it is out of the questions because its dry cured and I don’t want it to lose the flavor.

What is the recommend cooking time for roasting a ham of this size, hope someone can help

Sorry I should have added that it is of the bone

Happy Christmas

7.5kg :eek: Are you sure its not the actual pig hes given you?! Is it moving? Maybe put a wig on it and invite it to the dinner?

bake at 325 see table below for cooking times
    Uncooked ham must be cooked until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F. Fully cooked ham should be heated to an internal temperature of 140°F.The ham should be allowed to stand at room temperature for 2 hours before cooking.

Type of Ham Cooking Time per Pound Internal Temperature
    Remove from Oven Finish Temp. After Resting
    Fully Cooked Hams
    Whole - Boneless 15 to 18 minutes 135° F 140°F
    Whole - Bone-in 15 to 18 minutes 135° F 140°F
    Half - Boneless 18 to 24 minutes 135° F 140°F
    Half - Bone-in 18 to 24 minutes 135° F 140°F

Spiral Cut Ham 10 to 14 minutes (@275°; F) 135° F 140°F
    Canned Ham 15 to 20 minutes 135° F 140°F

Picnic Ham 25 to 30 minutes 135° F 140°F

Uncooked or Partially Cooked Hams
    Whole - Boneless 18 to 20 minutes 155° F 160° F
    Whole - Bone-in 18 to 20 minutes 155° F 160° F
    Half - Boneless 22 to 25 minutes 155° F 160° F
    Half - Bone-in 22 to 25 minutes 155° F 160° F

Whole/Half Cooked
    in an Oven Bag 20 to 25 minutes 155° F 160°F

Picnic Ham 30 to 35 minutes 155°- 165° F 160° - 170° F

Fresh Ham 25 to 30 minutes

The length of time a ham will have to cook will depend on the size of the ham and whether it is a fully cooked, partially cooked, or uncooked ham and whether it is bone-in or boneless. The best way to determine if the meat has cooked long enough is to check for doneness. It is important not to overcook the ham to maintain its juiciness. If it is not a fully cooked ham, it also needs to be cooked to the proper doneness to make it safe to eat. Shown below are signs to look for when determining doneness. For more information, see Ham Cooking Guide - Ham Doneness.

When poked with a meat fork, the meat will show little resistance.
    The meat will begin to separate from the bones and the larger bones will be easy to move.
    To ensure doneness, check with a meat thermometer. A thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the cut should produce a temperature of 160°F for an uncooked or partially cooked ham and 140°F for a fully cooked ham.
    For best results, the meat should be removed from the oven when its internal temperature reads 5° below the final desired temperature and then it should be allowed to rest (a waiting period before carving) for 10 to 15 minutes. During this time the meat will continue to cook and will reach the 160°F for uncooked ham or 140°F for the fully cooked ham. Resting also allows the juices to be distributed through the meat before it is carved. Slice or carve to desired thickness.

Advertisement