Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point of sale transaction ?

Options
  • 21-12-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

If a certain company Mistakenly (in my opinion) takes out money from your account through direct debit (but on the statement it has POS) without you actually purchasing anything in person or over the phone internet etc how do you get the money back into the account ?

Would i just go to my bank and they sort it out about getting the funds back ? would i need something in writing from the company involved ?

any advice would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You should definitely contact your bank ASAP and see what they have to say.

Your 2nd call would be to this other company.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Contact the company first asking for an explanation and a refund, if that is of no use and you still feel wronged it depends what company your account is linked to (I know nothing about laser).

If its an account linked to Visa, you should ring them up and tell them that the sale was not authorised by you. They'll say it was as they had your details and it is between you and the company. Inform them that the company had your details from a different transaction and you want it reclaimed. Hopefully that will be it, so long as you received no service or product it should be simple.

If Visa don't agree with you, you'll probably have to ring back and claim Fraud and sign a letter that you are confirming it was indeed a fradulent claim.

Can I ask what company is involved or why you say in your opinion instead of you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭neiler987

CramCycle wrote: »
    Contact the company first asking for an explanation and a refund, if that is of no use and you still feel wronged it depends what company your account is linked to (I know nothing about laser).

If its an account linked to Visa, you should ring them up and tell them that the sale was not authorised by you. They'll say it was as they had your details and it is between you and the company. Inform them that the company had your details from a different transaction and you want it reclaimed. Hopefully that will be it, so long as you received no service or product it should be simple.

If Visa don't agree with you, you'll probably have to ring back and claim Fraud and sign a letter that you are confirming it was indeed a fradulent claim.

Can I ask what company is involved or why you say in your opinion instead of you know?

I dont want to give the name of the company just in case im in the wrong but im pretty sure im right here.. dont want to be giving a company a bad name especially if their right

My opinion ? because ive had previous transactions with them before with direct debit which showed as DD on my statement no problems with them.. i never had a point of sale transaction with them just find it a bit strange :/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

neiler987 wrote: »
    My opinion ? because ive had previous transactions with them before with direct debit which showed as DD on my statement no problems with them.. i never had a point of sale transaction with them just find it a bit strange :/

Sorry, I should have been more clear, ignoring what it showed up as on your bill, have you received any product or service from them that you may owe them money for? It could be a simple issue of a DD failed or did not go through and someone reentered your details manually.

If you are certain that you do not/did not have a reason for the charge, contact them, ask them what the specifics of the charge are (even the best of us forget sometimes what we have done with our card). If they give you a reason and you agree, job done, if they give you a reason and you are certain that it is wrong, explain that you never bought/paid for that product/service and ask them can they investigate and resolve this ASAP (be polite), give 2 or 3 days to be fair. If someone else used your details, your insurance will refund it (your card will be cancelled) and the company may refund it as well (if your incredibly lucky :eek: but it is rare). Hopefully with apologies.

If they refuse or cannot or disagree with you, contact your card supplier, inform them that the claim is fradulent, and you wish it to be recalled (I can't remember the exact word here but I'll try and remember it later). Inform them that they have your card details from a previous transaction and that you are NOT in a dispute (if you are they will not help till thte dispute is resolved).

Again you will have to sign and return a letter stating that you swear that you did not partake in the transaction and that it is fradulent to the best of your knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

No way should a company take funds from your account unless its a DD or SO. Unless you go into the shop or company and actualy hand them your card for that transaction you have not completed a POS. point of sale is when you are physcially there, putting in your pin and walking awya with your goods and card. So the company taking the money without your consent is a big no no. As cramcycle says ask them about it and if they say you did complete that transaction and you deny it to the best of your knowledge then there is a dispute. You can get onto your bankk and they willl take it from there.

Same thing happened to my wife but slightly different. There was a charge on h er account for xbox live which she doesnt even know what it is never mind used. 3 transactions in total. She signed the form saying she didnt use her card for that. Guards were involved. Microsoft were involved. End result somehow some little scumbag in the netherlands got her card no and registered his details for xbox live to play games. Big mistake cause the guards would have been in touch with Microsoft who would have given the guards his details and they would forward it on to the police over there. Guard said if your card is skimmed or that they dont register for stuff just empty out your account. which makes sence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement