Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas in Kilkenny?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DavidShivers

Its good to see the range and variety of transport ideas for the town. If I could go back to the idea of trams, there are many countries that have small towns some even half the size of Kilkenny that have a fully intergrated tram system, some even with a metro. These trams arnt big maybey 10ft.

I think the bikes could work here in the town as there are many cycle lanes that arnt being used. But its not great if its raining and if people cant cycle a bike.

I like the bus idea the best. In my opinion it is a vital form of transport for us to have and not something like "Ringalink" :p . I also like the idea of it ending in the market yard in the heart of the city. I think it should have atleast 4 routes to serve residential areas and maybey rural areas. But if you are going to do the bus service I would make it a BRT or something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHJmbe7jmSA

Thats my oppinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Is this route number 3 or an alternative?

Route number 3. I'd probably have it passing Clongowan actually. My routes are only a rough idea, realistically you aren't going to send a bus up lovers lane :D

I was trying to hit the densely populated areas and also service the hospital and shopping areas such as Loughboy.

One other thing also.. we don't need 52 seaters on these routes, those smaller 30 ish?? seaters with disabled access would be the job.

I really don't see bikes being popular to be fair. I know all the cyclists on here think its great, but as a mode of transport, its a lot wetter, colder, more dangerous and troublesome than hopping on a bus. You are not going to use a bike if its raining or carrying a few bags, and lets face it, anyone who would use a bike probably has one already anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

PaulKK wrote: »
    I really don't see bikes being popular to be fair. I know all the cyclists on here think its great, but as a mode of transport, its a lot wetter, colder, more dangerous and troublesome than hopping on a bus. You are not going to use a bike if its raining or carrying a few bags, and lets face it, anyone who would use a bike probably has one already anyway.

People thought the same in Dublin prior to its launch, all the nasayers said it would never work and all the bikes would be stolen and/or damaged as well.

What do you know, they were wrong :)

Yes bikes won't suit every job but when you get the first few min free like Dublin bikes they work out a hell of alot cheaper then buses as during those free min you can get pretty damn far.

Advertisement