Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets be having you (or other fighting term)

Options
  • 21-12-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

Property tax protestors storm Donegal Council meeting
    Tweet
    21/12/2011 - 13:52:43
    Donegal County Council’s budget meeting has been disrupted after dozens of property tax protesters stormed the council's chamber.

The 'Can’t Pay, Won’t Pay' campaigners had called on councillors to come out of the meeting to address the crowd.

When they didn't, two dozen protesters entered the chamber with placards, chanting "We won’t pay".

A number of protesters addressed the meeting with a loud speaker before inviting councillors who support them to leave the meeting with them.

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/property-tax-protestors-storm-donegal-council-meeting-533100.html#ixzz1hBfsCyJu

go on!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

+1

Protests in all towns and villages are planned for 8th January.

I hope as many people as possible will turn out. Remember, while the main focus is the household tax, in reality it is a protest against all taxes/austerity.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

I'll happily pay the €100 if the government absolutely guarantee they will not use it as an old reliable to ratchet up every year and more importantly, start to cut down on the massive waste in the services they provide and public sector,

They have my blessing to protect the frontline services but start firing unproductive staff and multiple managers/pen pushers

I'd also like to know that any future taxes I pay whether it be Motor or Household can not be thrown around by councillors on junkets, expenses or Finn Harps.

My startup business paid over €2000 in Motor Tax last year to DCC. I will be curtailing vehicles and staff and cutting back to pay for one commercial vehicle in 2012 due to their wastage. My business will suffer, so will its potential to grow and employ, but I am damned if I will pay money for councillors to throw around like they did in 2011, in a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Good to see the public taking action & making a stand, cant pay & wont pay, they cant jail us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    Good to see the public taking action & making a stand, cant pay & wont pay, they cant jail us all!

Nothing more than Sinn Fein grassroots causing a stir..

• Advertisement

LoanShark wrote: »
    Lets leave the politics out of it

LoanShark wrote: »

To be fair most of those involved are actually not SF.

Like the poster above said, if we are getting services etc for our money then that is fine but we all know where the money will go unfornately.
    Motor tax, fuel and the general cost of living are getting completely out of hand. At this stage, we know which elected representatives will stand up for us and which elected representatives careers are effectively over.
    We need to stand together on this and other related issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

muffler wrote: »
    Lets leave the politics out of it

Fine.

But, I know for a fact that three people in that video are involved with the party.. not to mention that guy at the end who spoke to the councillor who said he voted for him... As well as Pringle who is former SF..

But other than that.. If the council / government could give us the assurance that the charge would stay at 100 for a number of years (say 7) and that after that it would not exceed 400 and would remain like that for ten years before it could be reviewed.. People might be a bit more open to the idea..
    Had this charge been introduced during the boom no-one would have batted an eyelid..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

yourpics wrote: »
    [At this stage, we know which elected representatives will stand up for us and which elected representatives careers are effectively over.
    you mean which ones will object to a completely necessary and overdue source of income for a country that Is up to it's neck in debt, without proposing a sensible valid alternative.
    Populist nonsense!
    They would be the first to object to cuts to an over bloated SW bill or public sector wages too.
    The household charge is an across the board charge and will be administered locally.
    The idiot career councillors who pander for votes by kissing babies and filling potholes have control of this money. If they squander it, it's because of the myopic view of the voters.

Or maybe I'm wrong and we should all join the "Occupy Market Sq" brigade (while sipping a Coke, wearing Levis and posting on Facebook from an iPhone). That'll get us out of debt without any need for taxes or cuts. Jeez. :D

Pique wrote: »
    you mean which ones will object to a completely necessary and overdue source of income for a country that Is up to it's neck in debt, without proposing a sensible valid alternative.
    Populist nonsense!
    They would be the first to object to cuts to an over bloated SW bill or public sector wages too.
    The household charge is an across the board charge and will be administered locally.
    The idiot career councillors who pander for votes by kissing babies and filling potholes have control of this money. If they squander it, it's because of the myopic view of the voters.

Or maybe I'm wrong and we should all join the "Occupy Market Sq" brigade (while sipping a Coke, wearing Levis and posting on Facebook from an iPhone). That'll get us out of debt without any need for taxes or cuts. Jeez. :D

In 1994 Enda Kenny objected to a household tax. There are plenty of alternatives open to the government eg a wealth tax that excludes the family home. These days a family home is more of a liability than an asset.
    What about a 10e tax per acre on farmland, this would easily bring in just over 100 million.

In relation to your second point, I agree the electorate are to blame but promises and assurances were made and broken. It is important to remember who is associated with what parties at a local level. If a person is associated with a party that has caused or continues to prolong the situation we are in then they should leave this party and if they don't then it is up to the electorate to ensure they are not re-elected. If they are such a great public representative they should not feel the need to have a party rubber stamp their mandate.

Finally, to those like yourself who believe these protests are a waste of time, I can only assume if any cuts are reversed due to lobbying or protesting, that you won't be benefitting and will be happy to continue paying.

• Advertisement

In 1994 Enda Kenny objected to a household tax.
    Times have changed since then :)
    There are plenty of alternatives open to the government eg a wealth tax that excludes the family home. These days a family home is more of a liability than an asset.
    It's still the only way of ensuring that everyone pays. The taxpayers (income tax) are the only ones paying anything to the exchequer at the moment and for a long time. The huge levels of SW benefits handed out are unsustainable and yet it seems to be heresy to even whisper that those families contribute back to their local area out of the money handed to them in the first place. Maybe if the charge was deducted at source it would ensure compliance. Oh sorry, can't cut welfare...drat :)
    What about a 10e tax per acre on farmland, this would easily bring in just over 100 million.
    True, but why target one sector? Even within that sector, there are huge disparities (100 acres in Donegal versus 50 in Carlow, I know which is the more profitable!)
    In relation to your second point, I agree the electorate are to blame but promises and assurances were made and broken. It is important to remember who is associated with what parties at a local level. If a person is associated with a party that has caused or continues to prolong the situation we are in then they should leave this party and if they don't then it is up to the electorate to ensure they are not re-elected. If they are such a great public representative they should not feel the need to have a party rubber stamp their mandate.
    Very true. However, there are 2 problems.
    1. Non-party affiliated representatives will be even more 'parish-pump', only worried about John-Joe down the road getting planning permission or making sure the potholes are filled down the boreen to Margarets house.
    2. Party members are subject to the 'whip' and will blindly vote with their party to get kudos if it doesn't affect (1) too much.
    The voting mechanism (PR-STV) is very fair in one way, but rife with the problems of 1 & 2 above. Even more so when the electorate are myopic NIMBYs that seem to flourish in Ireland.
    When will people see the bigger picture ???
    Finally, to those like yourself who believe these protests are a waste of time, I can only assume if any cuts are reversed due to lobbying or protesting, that you won't be benefitting and will be happy to continue paying.
    Don't worry, if the household charge isn't introduced due to protests, I won't be benefiting. I, as a married PAYE worker with a car and a mortgage, am quite sure that I will be cannon-fodder and will be hit again with whatever tax is introduced to make up for the absence of the Household Charge and protect "the most vulnerable in society" (bleurgh, if I hear that phrase once more, I'll vomit!).

It's very easy for students, workshy, retired, outright homeowners and the unemployed to protest.
    The funny thing is that those who pay for their grants, dole, pensions, local authorities and Jobseekers Allowance via PAYE are working for the same 'corporate badguys' that the protests are about.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlhm8Nf015-DOm1kRlUiEwCAhdy-LMHMtg-OsBUJeesMf3_bVL

Times have changed since then :)
    It's still the only way of ensuring that everyone pays. The taxpayers (income tax) are the only ones paying anything to the exchequer at the moment and for a long time. The huge levels of SW benefits handed out are unsustainable and yet it seems to be heresy to even whisper that those families contribute back to their local area out of the money handed to them in the first place. Maybe if the charge was deducted at source it would ensure compliance. Oh sorry, can't cut welfare...drat :)
    True, but why target one sector? Even within that sector, there are huge disparities (100 acres in Donegal versus 50 in Carlow, I know which is the more profitable!)

Very true. However, there are 2 problems.
    1. Non-party affiliated representatives will be even more 'parish-pump', only worried about John-Joe down the road getting planning permission or making sure the potholes are filled down the boreen to Margarets house.
    2. Party members are subject to the 'whip' and will blindly vote with their party to get kudos if it doesn't affect (1) too much.
    The voting mechanism (PR-STV) is very fair in one way, but rife with the problems of 1 & 2 above. Even more so when the electorate are myopic NIMBYs that seem to flourish in Ireland.
    When will people see the bigger picture ???

Don't worry, if the household charge isn't introduced due to protests, I won't be benefiting. I, as a married PAYE worker with a car and a mortgage, am quite sure that I will be cannon-fodder and will be hit again with whatever tax is introduced to make up for the absence of the Household Charge and protect "the most vulnerable in society" (bleurgh, if I hear that phrase once more, I'll vomit!).

It's very easy for students, workshy, retired, outright homeowners and the unemployed to protest.
    The funny thing is that those who pay for their grants, dole, pensions, local authorities and Jobseekers Allowance via PAYE are working for the same 'corporate badguys' that the protests are about

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlhm8Nf015-DOm1kRlUiEwCAhdy-LMHMtg-OsBUJeesMf3_bVL

Pique, you make some good points.

But your first point that those paying income tax are the only ones contributing is wrong. I am on social welfare but I contribute through VAT, motor tax, carbon tax etc. I was a PAYE worker and contributed throughout my working years.
    I am assuming you have never had to depend on SW but maybe if you did you would understand better. Personally I find it difficult to get by on the dole and I have paid my mortgage off years ago. I can only imagine what it is like for those with a large mortgage.
    Just today I received yet another rejection letter from a job I applied for.

In my case, I contribute greatly to my community during periods of unemployment and I volunteer and organise various sports events as well as community clean ups so I feel I contribute well to the community whilst on SW.
    What angers me is the people (particularly in their 20's) who claim social welfare and put it to no good use i.e. straight to the nearest pub.

In relation to the agri sector, I was just giving one example and not targetting that sector on its own.

Your comments about the party whip are spot on, its not a proper democracy as they have to use their vote whatever way they are instructed. Also if you attend a selection convention for any party, you will hear plenty rhectoric about belief in the party leader etc. That loyalty is all well and good but it doesn't really serve the needs of the electorate!

The reason the unemployed protest is because they are one of the worst affected sections of society.

Thread locked. I'll deal with the off topic posts when I get time.

There was a clear warning earlier but some people cant read when it suits them.

LoanShark, Pique and yourpics. You are skating on thin ice here and there isn't even a frost. I asked for you all to leave the politics out of it but you decided to ignore that. Normally I'd ban all 3 of you for a week but it's Xmas and I.m in a charitable mood.

We can leave it that but please dont give me any reason to visit this thread again on account of anything you have posted.

Thread opened.

Thanks for re-opening the thread Muffler. Given the nature of the topic it was difficult to stay away from politics but from now on the thread can be used to keep people up to date on protests etc

Anyway, let's forget about austerity, enjoy christmas and get back to protests in the new year :)

Thank you Muffler for reopening a political thread that you commented on and then closed for being political. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I really despair, I really do.

Thank you Muffler for reopening a political thread that you commented on and then closed for being political. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I really despair, I really do.
    1 week ban.

I have been asked to clarify what can and cant be posted here in this thread and I suppose to take it a step further what can be posted in the Donegal forum generally.

In this thread specifically post no's 10 - 13 are completely unacceptable. Their content can be classed as general or national politics. What we want to see is local issues being debated. This thread was to debate the topic of " Property tax protesters storm Donegal Council meeting" which is fine. But when it goes wide of the mark by debating "national issues" then we have to call a halt to it.

It will be fine to post up the following. Video clips of people attending protest meetings in Donegal, an account of what was said at the meetings, list dates for further meetings etc etc. Basically anything that is exclusive to Donegal.

I know its a fine line but what we cant allow is debate on why the protests are happening as thats a national political issue and anyone who feels they have to make a point on that subject will have to do so in the Politics forum. This is all simple housekeeping so to speak.

From a politics view I suppose a good example of what can be debated generally in the Donegal forum would be along the lines of what is debated in the Council chambers in Lifford - local issues only. I think thats a fairly clear indicator.

If any of you are unsure then just bang a PM off to myself or homer_simpson and we will be happy to discuss.

Protest Rallies will take place this Sunday 8th January in

Letterkenny
    Castlefinn
    Convoy
    Raphoe
    Rossnakill
    Buncrana
    Rossnowlagh
    Ramelton

All rallies at 3pm except Ramelton is 2.30pm.

Also the Irish Road Haulage Association is holding a meeting 15th January Millpark Hotel, Donegal Town (3pm). All welcome, members, non-members, hauliers, ordinary motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Photos from Letterkenny today

cZoqv.jpg

y8t60.jpg

i16pw.jpg

rPj54.jpg

• Advertisement

Good man Dannie!

Coverage on TG4 Nuacht earlier aswell.

There is also a weekly protest in Falcarragh Fridays at 12pm

Check out the links below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRj08UUufus&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iQ4HpMSeMY&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Its funny how going by what appears on RTE's website you'd be let on that everyone is queueing up to pay the tax and only a hand full of people are protesting. Has to be a bit of bias in there somewhere

eth0 wrote: »
    Its funny how going by what appears on RTE's website you'd be let on that everyone is queueing up to pay the tax and only a hand full of people are protesting. Has to be a bit of bias in there somewhere

At the moment 30,000 have registered for the household tax. We are just over halfway through January. That leaves two and a half months to register.
    There are approximately 1.6m households in the country. This means approx 20,933 households need to register PER DAY until the end of March for full compliance.
    So the uptake rate is exceptionally low.

RTE will have a better idea of the numbers of protesters once we take our protest to Dublin.

Has anyone come across stats in relation to the number of people who have paid so far based on a county by county basis with the emphasis on Donegal obviously?

muffler wrote: »
    Has anyone come across stats in relation to the number of people who have paid so far based on a county by county basis with the emphasis on Donegal obviously?

No stats are available at the moment on a county by county basis and I imagine it will be difficult to obtain them.

Advertisement