Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of Exchange - No service

Options
  • 21-12-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Guys,

I've asked this questions on the Vodafone forum too.
    Can eircom do anything if I Move to them?

My house is at the end of (16K) from the telephone exchange, and across the road is a different line. (they get 8Mb no problem) I don't want a satellite or microwave link.

My Broadband speed is .5Mb download. Im just wondering - is there anything I can do to get it better, I'd be more than happy just to get it up to 3Mb !

Can I double the copper in the wire coming into the house? Use some extra cores or something?
    I've heard if you cut the "bell" wire it can help for BT lines - is this true for mine? the house is only 2 years old.
    Can you get any sort of in-line amp?
    Is there anything??

My service is with Vodafone - if I move to eircom - will they do something with it that Vodafone can't ?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

All of the other providers so vodafone,bt etc all run off eircom lines. Dont know what can be done for you except calling eircom and asking them if there is any upgrades planned. Stay away from eircom. I tried to leave them to move to vodafone for cheaper broadband and they told me id be better staying with them and just reduce the package.. So I did and im paying for it now. Told me it would be 103 incl vat. Its 103 ex vat :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bonehead wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    My house is at the end of (16K) from the telephone exchange, and across the road is a different line. (they get 8Mb no problem) I don't want a satellite or microwave link.
    So your exchange is 16km :eek: away and the road out front is an exchange area boundary meaning the neighbours get 8mbit and are much nearer their exchange simply because they are on the other side of the road.

Just pay to install a new line in the neighbours house and connect via Wifi across the road. You will get no BB at 16km line length, utterly impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Cutting the "bell wire" does not apply in any system other than the weird BT one.

British telephones have a complicated arrangement where there's some circuitry in the master socket that shunts the ringing signal onto a 3rd wire, so extension phones are all connected with three wires rather than two.

This was designed to prevent phones from 'tinkling' when people dialled numbers on other extensions in the past.

The downside of it is that it screws up DSL and modern telephones only need 2 wires to work correctly. So, a lot of people in Britain and Northern Ireland snip the superfluous bell wire as it interferes with DSL.

Eircom's wiring system only uses 2 wires, it's very straight forward, so snipping the bell wire would not make any difference as it doesn't generally exist to begin with.

What you could do is try removing all the internal extension wiring and just having your DSL modem and maybe a cordless phone system plugged into a splitter connected to the main line coming into the house. That might reduce noise.

However, with the speeds you're describing it's really a problem with your distance to the exchange and there's very little you can do about that.

Are there any good wireless ISPs (not mobile) in your area ? Sometimes they can be pretty decent options if you're at the edge of a particular exchange's DSL footprint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

Hi Guys,

My house is at the end of (16K) from the telephone exchange, and across the road is a different line. (they get 8Mb no problem)

My service is with Vodafone - if I move to eircom - will they do something with it that Vodafone can't ?
    QUOTE]

16k and a download of .5mb ?. Not a chance of broadband at 16k. Think you mean 1.6k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi Guys,

I've asked this questions on the Vodafone forum too.
    Can eircom do anything if I Move to them?

My Broadband speed is .5Mb download. Im just wondering - is there anything I can do to get it better, I'd be more than happy just to get it up to 3Mb !

Can I double the copper in the wire coming into the house? Use some extra cores or something?
    I've heard if you cut the "bell" wire it can help for BT lines - is this true for mine? the house is only 2 years old.
    Can you get any sort of in-line amp?
    Is there anything??

Thanks for any help.

Hi bonehead,

Thanks for your post.

As axle108 suggested, there isn't much chance of getting Adsl fixed line broadband if you're 16KM from the local exchange.

If you PM your home phone number I can check if you pre-qualify for Adsl fixed line broadband with eircom. Most likely, if you're able to get BB with another provider, you're line will pre-qualify for broadband with eircom aswell.

(Thanks axle108)

Season's greetings
    Ant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think the OP already has broadband with eircom...

How about this, could some arrangement where a line from the other nearer exchange can be brought over to the OP's as a new install? If it's just 5 metres of asphalt away, perhaps a wire can be strung from one pole to another or else fed through existing ducting.

Failing that, if you use your name and the address of a friendly neighbour to get a line installed (and then use electronic billing) then you could enjoy much faster broadband as sponge bob suggested. I fear it may breach eircom's T&Cs to do it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

Dunno, said hes with Vodafone.
    Its possible he could be served from the other exchange, but it would probably involve a change of number and possibly a charge and a pole erected outside his house.

Advertisement