Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning 1

Options
  • 21-12-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hi I know there are a few discussions on the following but I can't seem to find them - if anyone can direct me that would be great!

Basically our daughter will be turning one in January. I realize people usually stop sterilizing about then - we've decided to stop at Christmas as we are traveling a bit and would save us lugging around the sterilizer. Doesn't seem much point if we're stopping in few weeks anyway. Just wondering do people stop sterilizing soothers as well? What do you do, just give them a wash or a quick suck ;)

Also and more what I'm wondering about is swapping to cow's milk. Our daughter is on 3 bottles a day, first in morning and last at night and one at 4 which she half drinks at times. I don't think she's quite ready to drop the 4 o'clock bottle. Do you swap all over to cow's milk, or just a bottle at a time? Do you mix milk with formula in the one bottle to get them used to the taste? Just wondering what people have tried and what they found worked well for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I haven't sterilised soothers for ages. I give them a quick rinse under the tap or a mammys lick (put it in my mouth first) if it's fallen on the ground and I can't rinse it. He's been licking the floors and everything else for months so I don't see the point in sterilising anymore.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sterilise anyhting that comes in to contact with milk formula.

I would not sterilise bowls or plates or anything.

I will still sterilse soothers but that is because it is a handy storage place for them:)

I would jsut give her cows milk in her cup when she is thirsty or having a snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Swapping over one bottle of formula at a time for a bottle of cow's milk is probably the best way to get your little one used to it. The first one of the day is probably the easiest one to replace.

My wee buck went from boob to sippy cup, so not too sure about the bottles. I never sterilised the cups, just washed in hot water. For the soothers, I've just been dunking them in an egg-cup of boiling water since before he was one.

Advertisement