Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

road tax price

• 21-12-2011 6:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

how much does road tax cost for a car van eg peugeot 306

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Its free (theres no such thing as Road Tax in this country)

But Motor Tax is assessed in the same way for carvans as for normal cars. So CC based pre 08 and Emissions based post 08.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Did you ever hear of Google or motortax.ie? Why expect others to do the research for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If your taxing it privately, its the same as the normal car.

If taxing it as a commercial then its €288 I think at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

If your taxing it privately, its the same as the normal car.

If taxing it as a commercial then its €288 I think at the moment.

Thats now going upto €310 in the budget. It can be taxed privately or commercially

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Max Power1 wrote: »
    But Motor Tax is assessed in the same way for carvans as for normal cars. So CC based pre 08 and Emissions based post 08.

That's more or less entirely wrong.

Motor Tax for Car Vans used commercially is €310 per annum from 2012 onwards (was €288).

Motor Tax for Car Vans used privately is assesed on the CC, regardless of when it was registered. The vast majority of commercial vehicles have 999g down as the CO2 rather than the actual CO2 emissions.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    That's more or less entirely wrong.

Motor Tax for Car Vans used commercially is €310 per annum from 2012 onwards (was €288).

Motor Tax for Car Vans used privately is assesed on the CC, regardless of when it was registered. The vast majority of commercial vehicles have 999g down as the CO2 rather than the actual CO2 emissions.
    Hmm
    Thats actually inaccurate.

I know of a 2008 fiesta car-van that is taxed on emissions. Private use - taxed as a car. Similar to Jeeps (SUVs) in that regard.

Lack of two doors doesnt affect the emissions so if the emissions are listed the car(or car/van) will be taxed on that basis.

Unfortunately as Im in work I cant find any online info one way or the other

Hmm
    Thats actually inaccurate.

I know of a 2008 fiesta car-van that is taxed on emissions. Private use - taxed as a car. Similar to Jeeps (SUVs) in that regard.

Lack of two doors doesnt affect the emissions so if the emissions are listed the car(or car/van) will be taxed on that basis.

Unfortunately as Im in work I cant find any online info one way or the other

Have you tried to tax a commerical based on CO2 emissions since the rule changes? No - I have.

If the Fiesta Car Van was taxed on emissions, then someone in the tax office fcuked up.

Ok - Fair play R.O.R. you are right, must have been that one individual that got someone in the tax office on an off day
    Dear Cian,

As this vehicle is a commercial type vehicle if you tax it for private use you will pay engine cc. There is no other option.

Regards
    Agnes
    Sent: Thu 22/12/2011 11:50
    To: Motortax
    Subject: RE: Query re Car Derived Van Motor Tax
    Hi Agnes
    Many thanks for your quick reply

I am not looking to tax the vehicle as commercial, I need to tax it privately – as I am an individual and do not have such info as a company vat number etc, and also the vehicle would be used solely for private use. In this instance the emissions rates would (I believe) be cheaper.

Thanks

From: Motortax [EMAIL="[mailto:Motortax@dttas.ie]"][mailto:Motortax@dttas.ie][/EMAIL]
    Sent: 22 December 2011 11:46
    To: Delaney, Cian
    Subject: RE: Query re Car Derived Van Motor Tax

Dear ,

If your vehicle is a van body type then your vehicle will be taxed on engine cc if taxed privately. As commercial type vehicles pay a lower rate of vehicle registration tax they are not eligible for the co2 emissions tax band.

Regards
    Agnes
    Sent: Thu 22/12/2011 11:41
    To: Motortax
    Subject: Query re Car Derived Van Motor Tax
    Hi
    I am purchasing a 2009 Diesel Car derived van that I would be taxing for private use.

Is this vehicle eligible for emissions based tax or is it still subject to the CC rates? I have received conflicting information and want to be sure before I proceed with the purchase.

Kind Regards – thanks for your assistance.
    Cian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Impressed by prompt replies from a government office. Then again, the departments taking in cash are always more on the ball than others.

Ok - Fair play R.O.R. you are right, must have been that one individual that got someone in the tax office on an off day

Tried to do it with a C'eed van last year, but Clondalkin tax office are a bit too wise. It is being used commercially so we ended up on that, just would have been cheaper on CO2 rates.

Had great fun with a Transit Minibus earlier this year. RF100 states 999g of CO2, like it does for most vans. Thought we might get away with taxing it as a 2.2 with this information, but again the local tax office are too cute and told us it's €2,100 for the year.

We had to get the dealer to get on Ford Ireland, to put the correct CO2 emissions up for the vehicle and get the RF100 re-issued. Just about scrapes in on the €1,050 band.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Impressed by prompt replies from a government office. Then again, the departments taking in cash are always more on the ball than others.
    So was I - I was expecting a few weeks to respond, a la normal civil service! I saw the email come in and judging by the header I presumed it was an autoresponse of the ilk "we have recieved your email and will respond shortly".

Perhaps they are overstaffed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kevtr1

Hi guys,

if I tax a van as a private vehilce can I take my children in it? A few friends say I cant' but I can't fnd any info on it on the net anywhere.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

kevtr1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

if I tax a van as a private vehilce can I take my children in it? A few friends say I cant' but I can't fnd any info on it on the net anywhere.

thanks

Usually van's have only one or two passenger seats, so you can take one (or two) children then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kevtr1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

thanks

If there are no proper seats with seat belts in the rear of the van and they are not old enough to sit in the front passenger seat then no.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Children can sit in the front of a van or car at any age once they have the corresponding booster seat. Babies are allowed to go in the front with a rear facing seat and airbag disabled, so older children are no different.

Advertisement