Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any tips on saving money from the taxman before the end of the year?

• 21-12-2011 6:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know there are a few accountants on here. Any tips, like is it worth throwing money into a pension or maybe buying a few cattle before the year is over? Don't go telling me to buy OH a new tractor now.......

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I will gladly swap a few cattle for a few bob to reduce problems your end. In the mart today lots of farmers must have tax problems some of the prices paid, hence I only bough one cull cow:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

You will have until next October to put money into a pension so don't rush into that! Buying stock won't really help as they would be included in your closing stock. Have you any family working on the farm that could be employed and also what rate of tax do you pay? Is it 20 or 41? Remember the money doesn't have to be spent before the year end as long as it is invoiced to you before year end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

I will send you an invoice for CONSULTANCEY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

buying cattle will solve the problem for next year as well,you will make no money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

You can put money into a pension and save tax :) When you draw it out you will be taxed on it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

OP, do you know how much of a profit it's likely you will make this (current) year?
    In other words have you 10 or 11 month books done up and gone to the accountant for him/her to work on? Without some realistic idea of what sort of tax bill you are facing it's hard to suggest doing anything out of the normal as it could come back to bite you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

My pension guy doesn't understand why I spend on capital stuff rather than hand him a lump sum...

He also doesn't understand Net Present Value... or Discounted Cash Flows.

He's a jumped up used cars salesman in my opinion.

Take sound accountancy advice before you make any decision would be my take on this.

Pension funds in my experience have been a rip off, their agents seem to be well coached school leavers with chisel toed shoes... and f*ck all interest in you or I, with the net result that they extract horrendous fees, with sod all guarantees...

Just another financial sector rip off.

We need to sort these guys out IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Problem Solved

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alderdeer

yourpics wrote: »
    Problem
    Solved

That looks about right and more if they can get their hands on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

On Pensions
    I work for a multinational company. On of the head financial guys said to us one day, with regard to pensions - "Why put money into something, in the hope that some day, you MIGHT get it all back".
    If you want to invest in something, put it into your kids education.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

give the money to me , i will look after it well and spend it alot wiser than the tax man:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

pakalasa wrote: »
    On Pensions
    I work for a multinational company. On of the head financial guys said to us one day, with regard to pensions - "Why put money into something, in the hope that some day, you MIGHT get it all back".

As always you speak a lot of sense pakalasa. My parents struggled to educate six of us for a long time. It is the best thing you can do for your kids. As the sister says, your kids don't need anything off of you except a good education.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

pay bills,clear off overdraft,pay down loans. use any spare money inside the home and worry about tax next year

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

pakalasa wrote: »
    On Pensions

Very true but where is safe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

As always you speak a lot of sense pakalasa. My parents struggled to educate six of us for a long time. It is the best thing you can do for your kids. As the sister says, your kids don't need anything off of you except a good education.

Agreed. But it's fairly frustrating, when you do educate them, and they do well in college, and get a good degree, and then .............. no jobs in this economy. I have one in that situation right now. Real sickner:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

blue5000 wrote: »
    I know there are a few accountants on here. Any tips, like is it worth throwing money into a pension or maybe buying a few cattle before the year is over? Don't go telling me to buy OH a new tractor now.......

Blue,

I got this email from this Nigerian General in a bit of a pickle there a while ago, seemed like a great deal... perfect for what you want...

Let me see if I can dig it up for ya... ;):p:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Blue,

I got this email from this Nigerian General in a bit of a pickle there a while ago, seemed like a great deal... perfect for what you want...

Let me see if I can dig it up for ya... ;):p:D

Cheers for that John. I seem to be giving off the impression of having money to burn, far from it. I reckon pensions are really nothing better than a pyramid scheme, any money going in now is used to pay off the existing pensioners, with the hope that the next generation will pay off those paying in now.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement