Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Phoenix Park Concerts 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

A V A wrote: »
    that sounds more like it to me

would you say they'll have the satge where they had it for Robbie williams?

Nope Robbie Williams played in the 120,000 capacity part of the Phoenix Park.

All these gigs are 45,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Hopefully it's sabbath and 'Tallica with a few smaller bands a day or two after download.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hopefully it's sabbath and 'Tallica with a few smaller bands a day or two after download.

Too early in the summer, and Sabbath are only doing two gigs anyway. I would hope for some kind of rock-oriented day alright...a shock Pearl Jam be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Mushy wrote: »
    Too early in the summer, and Sabbath are only doing two gigs anyway. I would hope for some kind of rock-oriented day alright...a shock Pearl Jam be nice.

Yeah I suppose it's a bit early and i didnt know about sabbath only doing one european date, what a shame :( although i see that the dates that sabbath announced will be performed by ozzy osbourne with zakk wylde and geezer butler :D would be great if they played the phoenix park :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yeah I suppose it's a bit early and i didnt know about sabbath only doing one european date, what a shame :( although i see that the dates that sabbath announced will be performed by ozzy osbourne with zakk wylde and geezer butler :D would be great if they played the phoenix park :D

Id say if there is an Ozzy and friends gig in Ireland they would be a lot safer and would sell better in the O2

• Advertisement

The Original Rudeboys have just been added to the amazing summer line up of Swedish House Mafia, Tinie Tempah, Snoop Dogg and Calvin Harris at the Phoenix Park on July 7th

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'm starting to think this will be the death of oxegen.

6 sell out gigs at €60 each for 270,000 customers would make MCD more money then oxegen, when you factor in the huge costs of oxegen.

I think this is only a different thing, so then they can bring back Oxegen, claim its bigger and better, and it'll sell out fairly easily if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Of corse it's possible. They used to do it with Marley Park all the time. They'd move the stalls at the back forward if there was a smaller crowd at a show.

They can do that within the perimeter fence of the site if they want to but the maximum capacity can't be increased to more than 45,500 plus 2,500 stewards and guests. The stage won't be changing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bowies in Space

I'm thinking Foo Fighters with support from Tenacious D - with the Foos doing Reading and Leeds, I've new hope for some more summer gigs after their Asian dates. Also, The D are in London and Glasgow in June (in support of their new album), so hopefully they'll be able to pop across for a show in July! :D Besides, they were both touring Australia together last year - it'd be a mighty show!!

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'm starting to think this will be the death of oxegen.

6 sell out gigs at €60 each for 270,000 customers would make MCD more money then oxegen, when you factor in the huge costs of oxegen.

I could see a new festival being set up in Punchestown or Fairy House.

I doubt there will be a new Oxegen, mostly because of the name and the fact that name might be a turn-off for people.

It would make more sense if it was re-branded. I just hope this time there will be less stages (maybe 3 at max).

• Advertisement

karaokeman wrote: »
    I could see a new festival being set up in Punchestown or Fairy House.

I doubt there will be a new Oxegen, mostly because of the name and the fact that name might be a turn-off for people.

It would make more sense if it was re-branded. I just hope this time there will be less stages (maybe 3 at max).

It's not the name it's the economics.

If the economic situation was better they'ed be mad not to use the value of the brand name Oxegen. Can't see how the name is a turn off. Even with all the people on here whinging it was still able to pack them in.

BrianD wrote: »
    It's not the name it's the economics.

If the economic situation was better they'ed be mad not to use the value of the brand name Oxegen. Can't see how the name is a turn off. Even with all the people on here whinging it was still able to pack them in.

To me its the fact that Oxegen has brought in so many new mainstream acts and that its been associated with knackers.

The total attendance for Oxegen last year was like 40,000 on friday and saturday and 70,000 on the sunday. Its a far cry from the days in 2004-5 when they used to sell out the 80,000 tickets for the weekend.

Having said that it might return as Oxegen, maybe if they can keep ticket prices at a minimum and reduce the scale to 2-3 stages and get rid of all those kiddy funfair amusements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

To me its the fact that Oxegen has brought in so many new mainstream acts and that its been associated with knackers.

The total attendance for Oxegen last year was like 40,000 on friday and saturday and 70,000 on the sunday. Its a far cry from the days in 2004-5 when they used to sell out the 80,000 tickets for the weekend.

Having said that it might return as Oxegen, maybe if they can keep ticket prices at a minimum and reduce the scale to 2-3 stages and get rid of all those kiddy funfair amusements.

Your being a bit harsh there I'd say oxegen always had its rough element at it, but by and large it passed off without incident, I wouldn't go to oxegen anymore but only due to the fact I don't think I could hack the pace anymore :o the only reason oxegen didn't sell out last year was due to the economy and nothing else you can be sure if people had the money it would have sold out in no time at all.

And hey call me crazy but I never knew rollercoasters etc were just for kids.

I do agree that a return with Oxegen as a smaller festival eg 3 stages and go form there . Reduce price and attendance .

If you look at Sonisphere the 1st year they only had 3 stages (not sure if they had the Red Bull or Jager stage that year) . Attendance is 60,000 .

I think if they start at say 50,000 with 3 stages , decent price it will do well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Is it just me or are you all basing this on absolutely nothing?

Oxegen is gone, not scaled down or paused, dead and buried - good riddance.

nm wrote: »
    Is it just me or are you all basing this on absolutely nothing?

Oxegen is gone, not scaled down or paused, dead and buried - good riddance.

I would agree that it will may well never be seen again but I certainly wouldn't say good riddance. A great festival over the years that tens of thousands enjoyed.

We need a multi-stage festival and I'm not convinced that there's a middle ground. You either go boutique or go the other end of the scale.

BrianD wrote: »
    I would agree that it will may well never be seen again but I certainly wouldn't say good riddance. A great festival over the years that tens of thousands enjoyed.

We need a multi-stage festival and I'm not convinced that there's a middle ground. You either go boutique or go the other end of the scale.

Agreed , ive went every year since 2006 and always had a great time . Exactly there will always be a market for a multi-stage festival and its just unfortunate that the recession has taken its toll on it . Oxegen was basically a Celtic Tiger thing , prices kept going up and people kept paying , until they lost jobs etc and could'nt afford tickets anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LisaC251

Agreed , ive went every year since 2006 and always had a great time . Exactly there will always be a market for a multi-stage festival and its just unfortunate that the recession has taken its toll on it . Oxegen was basically a Celtic Tiger thing , prices kept going up and people kept paying , until they lost jobs etc and could'nt afford tickets anymore

The line up was predominately youth based as well, which given its a summer festival must have suffered since a large proportion of the under 25's are now in Australia/ New Zealand etc.

Its a changing scene really. I like the concept of the 6 gigs in the park but I think a Belsonic style event would have worked better and been more economical for music fans to attend.

As for three/four stage festivals, definitely a place in Ireland for them, however, consumers want more from events now, and appreciate a higher calibre of musicians and facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

I wouldn't agree with this at all. Sure, there is less money in the country, but people are willing to pay a lot for gigs. Look at how well the Park shows have sold, or Watch The Throne. Electric Picnic will sell well despite it's poor line-up and extortionate prices.

People weren't going to Oxegen because it had gotten a terrible reputation. There may be a tie-in with money in so much as it attracted a younger crowd, but that was as much down to the fact that most older people had been and knew better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I wouldn't agree with this at all. Sure, there is less money in the country, but people are willing to pay a lot for gigs. Look at how well the Park shows have sold, or Watch The Throne. Electric Picnic will sell well despite it's poor line-up and extortionate prices.

People weren't going to Oxegen because it had gotten a terrible reputation. There may be a tie-in with money in so much as it attracted a younger crowd, but that was as much down to the fact that most older people had been and knew better.

Last year I was at Oxegen and had a great time, a couple of months later I went to Lollapalooza. It was fantastic, much better atmosphere. So now I would rather spend the money on going to festivals in other countries. A festival outside Ireland would now be my first choice and Oxegen would then be a second if I had the money at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Is Swedish House Mafia sold out?

seanbmc wrote: »
    Is Swedish House Mafia sold out?

No, if they were MCD would have jumped to announce a 4th concert.

Really at this stage I wouldn't be surprised if there are no more PP concerts, they're leaving very little time for the last three unless they've decided to make the six concerts be three in Phoenix and three in Marlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

No, if they were MCD would have jumped to announce a 4th concert.

Really at this stage I wouldn't be surprised if there are no more PP concerts, they're leaving very little time for the last three unless they've decided to make the six concerts be three in Phoenix and three in Marlay.

I agree, i would say its getting too late to be announcing any more of these concerts at this stage. I had high hopes of Foos or QOTSA playing one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Getting close to the Swedish House Mafia concert now, any word on how many tickets have been sold etc?

Paully D wrote: »
    Getting close to the Swedish House Mafia concert now, any word on how many tickets have been sold etc?

It'll prob sell more now cos its their last ever tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

I reckon it will sell out or come very close in the week leading up to the gig especially now that they've confirmed this will be there last ever tour!!!!! Looked good at the Hackney festival tonight!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

I reckon it will sell out or come very close in the week leading up to the gig especially now that they've confirmed this will be there last ever tour!!!!! Looked good at the Hackney festival tonight!!!
    Does anyone have any idea on how the acts will line up in terms of order? What time should we expect SHM to start and finish? I reckon Calvin Harris will play right before SHM.

audman wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea on how the acts will line up in terms of order? What time should we expect SHM to start and finish? I reckon Calvin Harris will play right before SHM.

Nope Calvin will be on either 1st or second since he has to fly to Scotland for TITP that day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Swedish House Mafia split.

http://www.swedishhousemafia.com/message/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Lumbo wrote: »

They're finishing their tour and then splitting, read the thing.

Advertisement