Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Phoenix Park Concerts 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can't wait for tonight..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

jossnjuice wrote: »
    Three dead now according to thejournal, overdoses. One confirmed to have been at SHM, and the others may have been, but not confirmed. Gone beyond a joke, gone are the days where people go to gigs for the music and the music alone.

people have been taking drugs at gigs since the 60's....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tincha

Are these gigs free?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

df1985 wrote: »
    people have been taking drugs at gigs since the 60's....

yeah, and people have been stabbing each other in fields at gigs too.......grow up. Of course people have been taking drugs, but for such a farce of a day to take place is the issue i have. of course the overdoses may /may not be linked to the gig, its still a joke that all of this commotion gets to go ahead. It was going to happen eventually, its just amazing that not more people died at oxegen over the years TBH. My anger lies with the scum element, more so than the overdose element.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

tincha wrote: »
    Are these gigs free?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Anyone know what time Florence and the machine will be at and also snow patrol?

ooooooohh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Who ever is planning on going home via the Luas have a back up plan they canceled it last night due to crowds. They said Heuston would be closed alright but Museum would be opened but they closed that too! Was only going from black horse to Tallaght! Pain in the ass for people who parked in the red cow! Think they cancelled ones going into the city too!! Allow loads of time to get through security too!! Took me nearly a hour yesterday:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

A V A wrote: »
    definitely overdosing at this one

I knew I shouldn't have had that second goat's cheese & pancetta focaccia...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Glad to see the ground seemed to have dried up after all the rain on Friday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

A V A wrote: »
    definitely overdosing at this one

That's a seriously pathetic effort at being funny!!!

Making jokes like that after 3 people dying is just idiotic!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Glad to see the ground seemed to have dried up after all the rain on Friday. :D

He's absolutely Lionelled!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

The difference between the Roses crowd and SHM crowd seems almost unbelievable.

A dance music event versus a classic band?

Not that unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭malcolmplex

What has the fact they were on different days got do with it? I didnt see any random muppetry on thurs or hear numerous reports of assaults, stabbings or people drug over dosing.

It not only about age difference its about the amount of scum at it yesterday.

Sorry,I meant that if the Roses gig had been on yesterday,what with the good weather,early start and no work in the morning,things might have been messy as well,though obviously not to the extremes of stabbings.
    As for Thursday,there were plenty of people staggering around like that video above and the gig thread has a few isolated incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Ah jaysus, the drums are feckin LOUD !

Hopefully they'll turn the PA down from 11 after the soundcheck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

Is the any other drinks available apart from beer and wine. mojitos?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mr.S wrote: »
    Folks I know you want to discuss the SHM gig but can you please not post about it on this thread and wait till the main thread on the gig re-opens later today.

Cheers.

Just in case people missed this.

If you want to discuss the SHM gig, please do it in the other thread.

Any posts relating to it in here will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Funkfield wrote: »
    A dance music event versus a classic band?

Not that unbelievable.

Had someone told me that Saturday night's event were going to happen beforehand, I would have said they were unfairly stereotyping. For me, it was unbelievable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

That's a seriously pathetic effort at being funny!!!

Making jokes like that after 3 people dying is just idiotic!!! :mad::mad::mad:

thats fair enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Anyone else think we've seen the last of the gigs in the Phoenix Park for a while (and I don't mean until next year)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Anyone else think we've seen the last of the gigs in the Phoenix Park for a while (and I don't mean until next year)?

Will definitely go ahead, just with heightened security

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

nm wrote: »
    Will definitely go ahead, just with heightened security

Nah, i reckon tonight gig is the end for Phoenix Park. For every outdoor show the promoters have to apply for a license, and nobody in there right mind will give a license in the light of what happened.

Heightened security means extra costs, and MCD or any other promoter will just not be happy in this climate to pay extra, they'll have to pay the Security Companies around 15Euro an hour per man, for an extra 200 guys for an 8 hr shift that's close to 25,000Euro. And of those 200 extra guys, how many would be actually worth anything and be able and confident enough to stop incidents?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

I hope if these concerts go ahead next year (unlikely) MCD will be forced to pay the cost of policing. Exactly like promoters have to do in the UK. I know it's forced some festivals to go bust, but if you can't cover security costs then you shouldn't be running a concert.

I have no sympathy for MCD, they've had it so good for so many years in this country and it's about time they got a kick up the arse before we are dealing with multiple deaths.

I hope Dublin City Council tell them to get lost. So much damage done in the park, 9 people stabbed, 1 dead. Who in their right mind would give MCD a licence to hold another outdoor concert again. Plus the insurance costs for another outdoor concert are going to go through the roof after Saturday nights events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

O'Doodle wrote: »
    I hope Dublin City Council tell them to get lost. So much damage done in the park, 9 people stabbed, 1 dead. Who in their right mind would give MCD a licence to hold another outdoor concert again. Plus the insurance costs for another outdoor concert are going to go through the roof after Saturday nights events.

I heard three were killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

karaokeman wrote: »
    O'Doodle wrote: »

I heard three were killed.
    Only one confirmed to be actually at the gig. But that said, you absolutely 100% can't blame MCD for someone od'ing on drugs. The amount of stabbings on the other hand, well that's a totally different kettle of fish.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I think in future at gigs people at the gates scanning the tickets/security should have the right to refuse people if they are too intoxicated just like if you are gong to a pub/nightclub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

As much as I enjoyed FATM and SP tonight, the organising for getting people out of the park was nothing short of a disgrace. They closed off the walk way for the Ashtown entrance and forced everyone to walk towards town. This lead to huge numbers of people trying to get out of two small entrances at the Hole in the Wall and Cumiskeys. There wasn't a guard in sight. All it takes for a couple people to start shoving and you could have had a small Hillsborough at one of those gates. Disgraceful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

SantryRed wrote: »
    There wasn't a guard in sight. All it takes for a couple people to start shoving and you could have had a small Hillsborough at one of those gates.

Please choose your words more carefully if you're going to make such a reference for the purpose of an analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭bren2001

I dont think MCD will find it any harder to get a license. If the gig was in Punchestown or Marlay park there was the same chance of the incidents happening again. The fact it was in Phoenix Park had nothing to do with it. The other 2 concerts ran without a hitch which would lead you to assume it was the type of people SHM attracts. Unfortunately they are obviously the minority and don't reflect 99% of the people who were there. This could of happened at a Neil Diamond concert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

bren2001 wrote: »
    I dont think MCD will find it any harder to get a license. If the gig was in Punchestown or Marlay park there was the same chance of the incidents happening again. The fact it was in Phoenix Park had nothing to do with it. The other 2 concerts ran without a hitch which would lead you to assume it was the type of people SHM attracts. Unfortunately they are obviously the minority and don't reflect 99% of the people who were there. This could of happened at a Neil Diamond concert.
    I don't know about last night, but most people I now weren't happy with the Roses gig experience. People falling around the place drunk, and few incidents (albeit not stabbings) within the venue. Plenty of complaints about the entrances and exits, and the complete lack of security or even lighting on exit routes. And plenty of comments on here about how easy it was to sneak drink in (i.e. lack of security checks) as advice to others going to the subsequent gigs.

They probably won't find it any harder to get a licence - but that says more about the lack of interest of the authorities rather than the promotors doing everything they can to ensure safety of punters imo.

Advertisement