Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

open up wifi

Options
  • 21-12-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Anyone know how to open up wifi or even change the wep key ?/
    everytime something happens or someone comes into my place of work i have to give them this long code is there a way to get in without the code or change the code to something short and easy access the eircom code is about twenty lowercase letters and numers jumbled up!!!
    thanks in advance .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Encryption is there to stop unauthorised access to the internet account. If you know how to get into the modem UI then you could change/disable WEP but i'm not going to tell you how for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

in your Firefox /IE 8 which ever type in the address bar your Routers ip Eircom is 192.168.0.255 or UPC 192.168.1.0 could be wrong on the IP addressing,

Once in you be asked for Username and password Eircom is boardband1 for both. UPC is No Username and password is Admin i think....

go into Wifi and then change the password or turn it off..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You'd be best off switching your security mode to WPA2, the reason being you can have a much shorter password (anything you like, not a hex string) and you can still limit access for security purposes

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭curehead

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Encryption is there to stop unauthorised access to the internet account. If you know how to get into the modem UI then you could change/disable WEP but i'm not going to tell you how for obvious reasons.

Why even reply then ??
    Thanks to everyone else for their sensible NON douche-bag replies.
    Got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

curehead wrote: »
    Why even reply then ??
    Got it sorted.

That douche-bag was just trying to let you know that its not a very good idea to remove the encryption on your modem, but then, what does he know? He's a douche bag. Personally, I like to leave my network unsecured, I also leave my front door unlocked, and leave the car keys in the car at all times, because, you know, its easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Why even reply then ??
    Got it sorted.

That wasn't a Douch bag reply arsehole. If you're the IT expert in your company depended on to open up the network to anybody, then you shouldn't have had to ask the question in the first place. The fact that you needed to ask just shows what you know:rolleyes:
    Does your boss know that you've lessened the security of the network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Why even reply then ??
    Got it sorted.

Simple. It's a stupid idea. Really stupid.

However, there's a really simple solution to your issue. Write the key into a textfile, save on a USB key so users can copy and paste it. Issue sorted, security maintained.

Maybe I am stupid but aren't there open wireless places everywhere what's the big deal pubs,restaurants, etc across the country what's the problem with allowing people access to wifi ???
    I just wanted a quick way of allowing my customers wifi without giving out a long code and I know it's possible because others have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

hi curehead ,

the guys are right about the security aspect, WEP isn't secure any more,

I would suggest changing the encryption to wpa2 and so on, as it give ability to set a nice password of your own . which would be easier to give out to a customer. only takes a few minute to do.

No more trouble with having to write/print off the wep key. if you find out the make of the router/modem i'll try help and you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Maybe I am stupid but aren't there open wireless places everywhere what's the big deal pubs,restaurants, etc across the country what's the problem with allowing people access to wifi ???
    I just wanted a quick way of allowing my customers wifi without giving out a long code and I know it's possible because others have done it.

If the wifi is for customers, then I may be able to help. What type of modem do you have?

• Advertisement

its an eircom modem does that help

Advertisement