Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's this I see from the M6 at night?

Options
  • 21-12-2011 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Near the Kinnegad turnoff on the M6 I see what looks like a power station or some other installation in the distance - it's really visible at night as it has a tall tower structure with lights on it

I think it might be something to do with Bord Na Mona buuut I dunno =)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Lagan Cement factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

whyulittle wrote: »
    Lagan Cement factory.
    Are you sure?
    I thought it was a power station :confused:
    I know i've been past it and I'm sure the sign said that's what it is. Not ESB though.

Positive, I've been in there a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

That structure's been there for over 6 years now, hasn't it ?? Or thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Nearer 10 i'd say , Quinn Cement was funding the local residents in their attempts at getting it blocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Lagan Cement, it was completed in 2002. The tower is so tall (125m) that it has red lights on the top to aid aviation, the only other structure in the midlands I know of with this feature is the old Radio Eireann transmitter outside Athlone, now reduced to a single tower since last September.

Here's the corporate website, click on 'cement' on the left and you'll see information on the Kinnegad plant....

http://www.lagangroup.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

coylemj wrote: »
    Lagan Cement, it was completed in 2002. The tower is so tall (125m) that it has red lights on the top to aid aviation, the only other structure in the midlands I know of with this feature is the old Radio Eireann transmitter outside Athlone,
    And Tullamore.

WTF does a cement factory need such a big tower for? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Pretty sure the Eircom mast beside the CIE station also has red lights, as does the Shannonbridge and Lanesbourogh plants.

eircom, Sheraton, Army Barracks, loads of masts with lights about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    And Tullamore.

WTF does a cement factory need such a big tower for? :confused:

It is more of a chimney I think. You see stuff coming out of it, presumably steam or something and I guess they want to let it off high rather than low where it could get blown into a nearby town or something like that.

Not really sure but that would be my best guess :P

This has been there longer than that stretch of motorway existed AFAIK. I can't remember a time when I didn't pass it on the motorway anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement