Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC with splitter

• 21-12-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Sorry, I know similar questions have been asked before, but this is slightly different!

I have UPC cable broadband here with a cable running straight to the box. I tried to insert a 3 way splitter into the middle to get the TV channels. I get the channels all right but the UPC modem doesn't like me anymore and refused to connect.

The 3 way splitter looks exactly like the one in this list. I'm only splitting the IN to two of the OUTs and I'm getting the impression I should be terminating the unused OUT. Is that right? I mean you generally terminate with networking systems like 10Base2 so I don't see why this should be any different.

If it is, can I buy terminators somewhere. Even so, can I buy a quality two way splitter somewhere? Like the one there on freesat.ie. I'd buy it from freesat themselves obviously but shipping is double the price of the splitter!

The UPC box on the wall has a terminator on one of the outputs but I'm probably supposed to leave that alone! Don't know what that other output is for - FM maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭carveone

I can answer my own question on the UPC box. I gather the second port is filtered for FM (linky). I'd try the terminator off the UPC box except the guy put it on with a damn pliers!...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭Nollog

I tried splitting my cable with a Y junction, but my modem started randomly resetting itself every 30 minutes and I never watched TV so I removed it and problem sorted.

More of an anecdote than a helpful post, but oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You need to get UPC to put in a second point...It needs to be split at the juntion box outside your house....not inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I use a splitter inside the house and it works fine. I'm in work but will post the model later. I connect the line to the TV point (not fm). The splitter came from a satellite dish that my dad didn't want anymore. I've no problems with TV and broadband, both working fine with no resets.

Thanks all. UPC themselves indicate (here) that you can use a signal splitter between the box and the modem/tv.

However they also say: "Place the TV cap (terminator) provided over the TV jack not in use on your outlet box". Which seems to indicate that unterminated outputs on a splitter will cause enough noise/reflections to bugger up the modem.

Hmmm. I wonder can I flag down a passing UPC van and get a terminator from them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

Yes as cookie1977 said a satellite splitter will do the job fine dude. The standard tv splitter you tried has no return path so modem would have failed to lock on to the upload stream. A satellite splitter has this return path so works no prob.
    One here for €6
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?type=product&id=22417

Hey thanks robcon. That's what the modem is saying with its flashing lights I guess - it can't lock on to the upload stream. I'll try one out - only a moderate amount of gouging from Peats.

I'm quite surprised actually - didn't know there was any such thing as a satellite splitter given the way they work. I guess the satellite splitter wouldn't ever go between the dish and the box!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

robcon wrote: »
    Yes as cookie1977 said a satellite splitter will do the job fine dude. The standard tv splitter you tried has no return path so modem would have failed to lock on to the upload stream. A satellite splitter has this return path so works no prob.
    One here for €6
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?type=product&id=22417
    My situation sounds similar. I have a UPC box in the rear of the house - broadband and phone only package. UPC engineers installed it in the back and brought a long cable through to the front where the BB modem is in one corner, the TV in another. I want to get the analogue signal into the TV.

Is this 'satellite splitter' from Peats (if it still exists) what I need to get the BB working fine and split the other one off into the TV?

Perhaps I'd rather just get hold of the Saorview, but then I'd have to install an external arial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

Most splitters will work. However your broadband may or may not stop working. It depends on how strong the signal is at the modem. If you split the cable then you are halfing the signal level.

In some cases the levels are OK and the modem will work 100%. In other cases the signal drops and the modem does not work properly.

Splitters are available in powercity and every TV shop. Ideally get a good quality metal unit with screw on connectors.

However I would recommend going into the menu of the router, and posting up here first a screenshot of the signal page. We can then advise if you are borderline or not.

232078.jpg

Advertisement