Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

intimidating Big Issue seller

Options
  • 21-12-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭

I REALLY don't want to come across as a big moanbag here, I'm not trying to be. I just had a rather crap experience with a rather intimidating man who is apparently a Big Issue seller, and wanted to see if other people had experienced the same guy.

I was walking down St Andrew's Street towards the Central Bank and the guy turned right from Dame Lane in front of me. It's narrow there and I moved out his the way a little when I saw him turn the corner, and must have caught his eye. He was calling "big issue, big issue" as I walked past and then shouted directly at me to get my attention. I thought I'd dropped something so turned around, only to see that he was following me and seemed annoyed that I hadn't stopped to buy the magazine in the first place, as he was aggressively waving the magazine at me and yelling "big issue, big issue". I just shouted at him that I had no money and that shut him up. Probably doesn't sound like a particularly bad exchange but the fact that he followed me really annoyed me, and also I was robbed on the exact same spot a few weeks ago and so I wasn't especially comfortable walking there on my own for the first time since then. At that particluar time (7.30pm) the street was disturbingly quiet for the time of day and year too.

Has anyone else encountered this guy? I have a lot of time for homeless charities I have to say, though I've never actually bought the Big Issue. Turns out it costs €3 and the seller gets to keep half of the proceeds, so to be honest if he's legit then I'd rather buy it from someone who doesn't follow and intimidate lone women down the street. Also the Big Issue website recommends only handing over money once you have the magazine in your possession. He could well be a scammer, though he did seem to have a badge on his jacket, though that sort of thing could be easily forged and not the type of thing you'd inspect very closely if you had the misfortune to meet him! By the way I didn't see any Gardaí on the way home, if I had I would have mentioned it to one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Poor thing. You'll always get stuff like this in Dublin nowadays unfortunately. Try to stick to the main thoroughfares and keep your money in your pocket (not handbag) and be wary of who is near you when you are using a mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Kernel wrote: »
    Poor thing. You'll always get stuff like this in Dublin nowadays unfortunately. Try to stick to the main thoroughfares and keep your money in your pocket (not handbag) and be wary of who is near you when you are using a mobile.

Thanks! No harm being extra cautious, thankfully I normally keep money in my pockets and that's mainly why I didnt stop and give the guy money in the first place, it was kinda awkward to access! Ah I'm actually fine, the most annoying thing was the cheekiness of the guy really, I doubt I was in any danger or anything, just coincidence that I had a bad experience in the same spot recently :(

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I feel intimidated a lot by Big Issue sellers too sometimes I have to admit. Although outside Drury street carpark there is a lovely woman who sells the Big Issue for the past few years, normally there on Saturdays but not that much anymore. She's genuinely a very nice person and has almost become a family friend so we just give her the money instead of the magazine. I haven't come across this guy yet but I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I see anything.

If you happen to see this guy again acting the same way perhaps you could report him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Ring the guards and tell them there's an aggressive beggar, nobody should be intimidated like that walking along the street. I hate bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭paddydu

You shouldn't be harassed by people begging whether they are selling the Big Issue or not.
    I suffered homelessness for 4 years due to alcoholism thankfully I recovered from alcoholism and live well now in recovery. I never ever behaved like that man you mentioned further more i'll go down there tomorrow and if I see him i'll knock him out for you and hopefully that will stop him aggressively pursuing people for their hard earned money especially women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭paddydu

You shouldn't be harassed by people begging whether they are selling the Big Issue or not.
    I suffered homelessness for 4 years due to alcoholism thankfully I recovered from alcoholism and live well now in recovery. I never ever behaved like that man you mentioned further more i'll go down there tomorrow and if I see him i'll knock him out for you and hopefully that will stop him aggressively pursuing people for their hard earned money especially women.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

just sounds like a desperate homeless man trying to get some money for some food and mayb a warm bed for the night.you said there wasnt many around so maybe he was not gettin many sales that day and coming towards the end of the evening he could have been becoming more desperate for a sale or 2. obviously not nice to feel like somebody is following you down the street but the guy didnt hurt you so i guess its not too bad,all you have to do is turn around and say sorry mate all i have is my bus fare home or that youve no money or something and the guy says ok and leaves you alone..

think of it from his perspective,its christmas time,hes lonely,hes homless,hes hungry,could be fond of a drink, needs money for a warm bed and a meal so every sale he gets could actually be life and death for the guy

them charity sellers that stop you when your walking down the sreet i would find far more annoying that this guy,i really hate how them charity guys always are trying to be overly friendly with you and jumping in front of you to stop you dead in your tracks.. sometimes its like a mine field walking down grafton street,i feel like a rugby player at times running along ducking and weaving trying to avoid all of these guys that come out of no where

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

stinkle wrote: »
    I was walking down St Andrew's Street towards the Central Bank and the guy turned right from Dame Lane in front of me.
    <snip>
    I was robbed on the exact same spot a few weeks ago and so I wasn't especially comfortable walking there on my own for the first time since then. At that particluar time (7.30pm) the street was disturbingly quiet for the time of day and year too.

OP you need to think about your own personal safety, you were robbed at this spot but continue to use it after dark when it is particularly quiet. For the sake of a few extra minutes walking, stick to the busy main streets and where there are plenty of people about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

If you happen to see this guy again acting the same way perhaps you could report him?

Yeah if I see him again and he's aggressive I'll definitely report him.
    Kernel wrote: »
    Ring the guards and tell them there's an aggressive beggar, nobody should be intimidated like that walking along the street. I hate bullies.
    Might it not be a bit late at this stage? If I had seen a guard last night I would have said something, but didn#t see any on my way home.
    CyberJuice wrote: »
    think of it from his perspective,its christmas time,hes lonely,hes homless,hes hungry,could be fond of a drink, needs money for a warm bed and a meal so every sale he gets could actually be life and death for the guy

them charity sellers that stop you when your walking down the sreet i would find far more annoying that this guy
    I couldn't agree more about him needing help, I really do have a soft spot for homeless and always try to give to charities this time of year. I had a moment of feeling bad that I didn't give him money even! But I actually hadn't much cash, and what I had was safely stashed in my jeans pocket and I was wrapped up in a big coat. His attitude made my wary so I wasn't inclined to hang around looking for money. re:the chuggers, they're definitely a pain, but at least you dont have to give hard cash if you do get snared by one. From my perspective, initimidating man+quiet street+long time rummaging for cash wasn't appealing. Something about his attitude still doesn't add up though, and I'm inclined to think "scam artist", especially as Dame Lane is quite busy at the moment with all the bars doing a roaring trade. I bet it's a very lucarative spot with tipsy people feeling generous! Maybe I'm jsut hoping it was a scam and not a the actions of a desperate person...
    Tabnabs wrote: »
    OP you need to think about your own personal safety, you were robbed at this spot but continue to use it after dark when it is particularly quiet. For the sake of a few extra minutes walking, stick to the busy main streets and where there are plenty of people about.
    Definitely, it was a bit of an eye-opener, I'd be reluctant to walk there alone any time soon! thankfully I'm normally streetwise and good at keeping cash and cards hidden and dont often have a phone on display etc

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dejopadu

also, the junkies are doing a big-issue scam, where they try to sell u a big issue, but it isnt a big issue, its just some magazine they found......quick 3euro for them for any1 who falls for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

The big issue employ someone to check all sellers are selling and acting in the correct manner, if you ring their office they will check him out, failing that if he is really aggresive , call the gaurds. Sometimes some sellers let their magazines gp in one bundle so as they dont have to stand in the cold, and this person may not be legiit,

Advertisement