Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diesel in the Crescent SC

• 21-12-2011 9:23pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Okay I was in Diesel for the first time today and had to notice that it is much cheaper than Diesel usually is.
    Now I have to wonder is it the 'real' diesel or what the story is?
    Anyone shed any light?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Its not...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Avatarr

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Okay I was in Diesel for the first time today and had to notice that it is much cheaper than Diesel usually is.
    Now I have to wonder is it the 'real' diesel or what the story is?
    Anyone shed any light?

what price difference are you seeing:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

This is Diesel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_%28brand%29

This is Diesel in the Crescent and similar

An old Thread from Boards but there are loads of discussions on the stores.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054979811

AFAIK Diesel Ireland was a registered trademark and they refused to change their name. Much like the Four Seasons Hotel in Louth which comes up frequently when searching for the 5* version in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Saw it in the cresent yesterday myself and I thought to myself fair play they managed to secure Diesel. Got closer to the door and realised it was the cheap knockoff Diesel. (Well its not really a knock off but you know what I mean.. its not the Designer label Diesel.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

whats the quality like? the OH saw a jacket he liked, but is it really worth spending 80 euro on? I know jackets are expensive but I hate paying just for a 'name'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

To be honest I bought a knitted type hoodie out there last week. Looks nice and the quality is pretty good. Not that expensive either. I couldn't care less either way about the brand on it or whether its the real deal or not because the brand name makes no difference to me.
    Just because it isn't the more widely known one doesn't mean the quality is that bad.

In saying that though it should be more widely known and said that it isn't the bigger more known brand as it can catch a lot of people who might spend a lot of money in these shops thinking they are getting the other stuff.

Jofspring wrote: »
    In saying that though it should be more widely known and said that it isn't the bigger more known brand as it can catch a lot of people who might spend a lot of money in these shops thinking they are getting the other stuff.

Yes but they are not going to openly help people by giving them the information about the non-link between the brands. It wouldn't serve them any good really.

Although I'm sure Diesel UK are watching Diesel Ireland Ltd very carefully waiting them to stupidly copy a real Diesel item too closely and then sue the pants off them(pun intended).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Yes but they are not going to openly help people by giving them the information about the non-link between the brands. It wouldn't serve them any good really.

Although I'm sure Diesel UK are watching Diesel Ireland Ltd very carefully waiting them to stupidly copy a real Diesel item too closely and then sue the pants off them(pun intended).

Ya i'd say your right about them waiting for a slip up.

At the end of the day I suppose they have added two stores in limerick creating a few jobs so we can't complain too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

There's a shop called Paraffin in Tralee if Diesel is too pricey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I thought a petrol station had opened in the Crescent and I was wondering where it was for a few seconds until i scrolled down :d

• Advertisement

angeldaisy wrote: »
    whats the quality like? the OH saw a jacket he liked, but is it really worth spending 80 euro on? I know jackets are expensive but I hate paying just for a 'name'
    Some of it is grand, I wouldn't be buying for the name though? You can get good value on sale stuff there. I've a few shirts and jeans from "Diesel Ireland" for general wear. Jack and Jones is better quality on average in my opinion. I've never bought anything at full price in "Diesel Ireland" but I'd say I might have in J&J. "Diesel Ireland" used to look better before (I thought) but some of the new shops look like TJS to me, Mahon Point in Cork being an example.

The real Diesel jeans (in Brown Thomas in Limerick) are very very good quality and cut/fit. Pricey but you would get the value out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Mc Love wrote: »
    I thought a petrol station had opened in the Crescent and I was wondering where it was for a few seconds until i scrolled down :d

Do you remember the petrol station that used to be in the Crescent?

Shell station I think.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

h3000 wrote: »
    Do you remember the petrol station that used to be in the Crescent?

Shell station I think.

I do indeed - my mates brother used to work there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I bought a "diesel" jacket about 4 years ago. It didn't last long. The real Diesel jeans are expensive, but will last you for ages....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

seachto7 wrote: »
    I bought a "diesel" jacket about 4 years ago. It didn't last long. The real Diesel jeans are expensive, but will last you for ages....
    What do you do to your clothes?
    If something to your mind looks decent then buy it forget the bloody label!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Priced a pair of jeans in there yesterday, €85, they're very blatantly piggybacking on the Bigger brands label.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Whats the story with Diesel in Bedford Row, same as this one??

yip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What do you do to your clothes?
    If something to your mind looks decent then buy it forget the bloody label!

wasn't good quality, that was all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I'm useless when it comes to mens fashions.
    I whole heatedly hold my hand up and willingly say
    my fashion sense its 30 years out of date and ****.

I've been looking out for a Male clothing store that can provide a modern
    mans casual clothing style but have yet to see anything I actually like.

I'm looking for someplace where there are experienced people where you could
    walk into a store and thy could pick out clothes that would suit you, and not make
    you look like a feckin ejjit and try to sell you anything.

Dont want someone to turn around and say "suits you sir" and not mean it. :-P

I'm heterosexual and don't want to look like a metro-sexual, I don't want to look camp, and dont want a pink shirt and man-bag.
    I also dont want to look like a beefcake, desperate dan character or lumber jack.
    I'm looking for that happy middle ground.

Paid a visit to Diesel in the crescent only to be presented with the first price
    tag I walked into at the store entrance with a pair of Denim Jeans with a price tag of 85 Euros!!! I said to myself WTF!!!!
    and went to Tesco and bought a paid that still fit and made of the same material for a tenner.
    Why would any sane person pay that much for a pair of jeans thinking that
    somehow they fit better, or lasted longer, or did any of these magical fantasy like qualities that the shops or brands would have you believe!!!:eek:
    Back in the day it was Levi jeans or the shoddy 2nds were Wranglers, 3rd place whet to the "Lee" brand, nowadays there are all these designer labels I've never heard of.

I thought with this new store I'd be able to modernize my fashion sense
    with buying a so called "collection" where there is a combination of clothes that go together. But honestly I could seen nothing I liked at all.

I really hate hate hate hate this bull**** thing that some clothes designers/makers do where they stick a Logo, Symbol, crest of worse still some Random Number like 86, 44, 22 on a piece of clothing.

I'm not a rugby player, American football player I don't need
    some number on the clothes I wear to fool myself or anyone else into
    thinking I'm some part of a team or club.

Must people will buy these type of clothes without batting an eyelid.
    When I look at these clothes I ask:....

whats the Number stand for ????
    if it stands for nothing why is it on the clothing.

What is the symbol/tag/crest ????
    why is it there, what does it represent if its there for no reason
    why put it there in the first place.

Brand name Labels I've no issue with , they are put there to advertise the brand. also Artistic designs I've little or no beef with they are either artistic or mean nothing but look pretty. Hence I end up wearing block colors
    like plain tops/shirts and jeans, or as I mentioned before dress from clothes
    from the army surplus or workers section from the co-op store. :(

~B

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Mc Love wrote: »

And can you wash the stuff? I hear it's illegal.

bullets wrote: »

go up the stairs in river island in the crescent. head straight ahead, do not turn right. never lets me down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I really hate hate hate hate this bull**** thing that some clothes designers/makers do where they stick a Logo, Symbol, crest of worse still some Random Number like 86, 44, 22 on a piece of clothing.~B

.22, .223, 9, 45 or 38 might be more your style :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

If they are charging 85 quid for jeans in diesel in the crescent you would be better off going to brown Thomas and spending the extra 20-30 on the real diesel stuff. Infinitely better quality and will last you years. I have a pair that's 4 years old and they look like new so instead of buying a load of cheap quality jeans just spend the extra.

I have Pennys and Dunnes Jeans which are good enough quality for €25 but the denim is different from my Tommy Hilfiger Jeans which were probably €95. I have gotten more use and better wear from the Tommy Jeans but I would happily buy Pennys or Dunnes Jeans(you get a free belt :D)

I would not pay €85 for a brand of Diesel that, irrespective to what they say, is a play upon the Italian Diesel Brand.

@Bullets - You forget Pepe Jeans that really came after Wrangler and before Lee. :pac::pac:

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    If they are charging 85 quid for jeans in diesel in the crescent you would be better off going to brown Thomas and spending the extra 20-30 on the real diesel stuff. Infinitely better quality and will last you years. I have a pair that's 4 years old and they look like new so instead of buying a load of cheap quality jeans just spend the extra.
    I wouldn't spend 85 on the other jeans at all, but there was more than a 30yoyo difference on my last pair of the real diesel! The real deal are class jeans in fairness. Yer man in BT (spanish I think, Oscar?) is good at his job too.

Tis like the Paul Galvin thread or something here. Irish males (including some engineers) talking about fashion :eek: :o :eek: :confused:

Edit - I agree BeerBaron, you do OK value for money wise out of Penneys/tesco/dunnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

I'm useless when it comes to mens fashions.
    I whole heatedly hold my hand up and willingly say
    my fashion sense its 30 years out of date and ****.

I've been looking out for a Male clothing store that can provide a modern
    mans casual clothing style but have yet to see anything I actually like.

I'm looking for someplace where there are experienced people where you could
    walk into a store and thy could pick out clothes that would suit you, and not make
    you look like a feckin ejjit and try to sell you anything.

Dont want someone to turn around and say "suits you sir" and not mean it. :-P

I'm heterosexual and don't want to look like a metro-sexual, I don't want to look camp, and dont want a pink shirt and man-bag.
    I also dont want to look like a beefcake, desperate dan character or lumber jack.
    I'm looking for that happy middle ground.

Paid a visit to Diesel in the crescent only to be presented with the first price
    tag I walked into at the store entrance with a pair of Denim Jeans with a price tag of 85 Euros!!! I said to myself WTF!!!!
    and went to Tesco and bought a paid that still fit and made of the same material for a tenner.
    Why would any sane person pay that much for a pair of jeans thinking that
    somehow they fit better, or lasted longer, or did any of these magical fantasy like qualities that the shops or brands would have you believe!!!:eek:
    Back in the day it was Levi jeans or the shoddy 2nds were Wranglers, 3rd place whet to the "Lee" brand, nowadays there are all these designer labels I've never heard of.

I thought with this new store I'd be able to modernize my fashion sense
    with buying a so called "collection" where there is a combination of clothes that go together. But honestly I could seen nothing I liked at all.

I really hate hate hate hate this bull**** thing that some clothes designers/makers do where they stick a Logo, Symbol, crest of worse still some Random Number like 86, 44, 22 on a piece of clothing.

I'm not a rugby player, American football player I don't need
    some number on the clothes I wear to fool myself or anyone else into
    thinking I'm some part of a team or club.

Must people will buy these type of clothes without batting an eyelid.
    When I look at these clothes I ask:....

whats the Number stand for ????
    if it stands for nothing why is it on the clothing.

What is the symbol/tag/crest ????
    why is it there, what does it represent if its there for no reason
    why put it there in the first place.

Brand name Labels I've no issue with , they are put there to advertise the brand. also Artistic designs I've little or no beef with they are either artistic or mean nothing but look pretty. Hence I end up wearing block colors
    like plain tops/shirts and jeans, or as I mentioned before dress from clothes
    from the army surplus or workers section from the co-op store. :(

~B

Thank f**k for that. I thought I was the only one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

TKMaxx FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I often wear my 'real Diesel' clothes in there with its superior stitching and cutting edge styling just to shame and embarrass the staff and management.

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    I often wear my 'real Diesel' clothes in there with its superior stitching and cutting edge styling just to shame and embarrass the staff and management.
    Yikes, mental picture of the dude in your profile pic doing lunges and splits up at the counter

Advertisement