Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should these people be allowed have dole money?

Options
  • 21-12-2011 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I was in town earlier today and off grafton street there was a pretty genuine looking irish man who seemed to be just down on luck, he had a sign saying "homeless, drawing is my only source of income, please donate, thanks" or something along those lines. He was drawing very impressive pictures of people like Batman or Celebs etc. Then three Romanian Gypsies had the audacity to walk over to him in a threatening manner, one of them stuck his head right into his donations cup, they then cursed at him in some foreign language as if to say "this is our turf, get lost"

Who do these people think they are walking into our country with no intention to do anything other then beg and sponge off the economy by claiming dole money each week? then they have the nerve to think they have some right to begging spots in dublin?

There is no reason why the Irish taxpayer should pay these professional beggars dole money each week? I am of the opinion they should be deported, but the debate is whether or not we should allow these people have our dole money?

What should be done with these Romanian Beggars? 31 votes

Allow them into the country but do not allow them to claim dole money
    0% 0 votes
    Deport Them ; Send them back the way they came
    3% 1 vote
    Allow them to have dole money for a certain length of time and then cut them off
    77% 24 votes
    Nothing, they should be treated the same as any Irish Citizen
    3% 1 vote
    allow them to have some dole money, but less then Irish people
    3% 1 vote
    Allow them to have dole money but arrest them for begging
    0% 0 votes
    This whole thing is just racist
    6% 2 votes
    no opinion
    6% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Well you dont know they are dole for sure (chances are they are) but no they shouldnt (if they are) Prob asylum seekers. The romanians do have rings of that sort of thing around dublin especially on the heavy walked street like o connell and grafton. Saw it on tv before this reporter was doin a story on it and it had a hidden camera on him walking down o connell strret. 5 romanian women started askin him for money and he kept walkin sayin he didnt have any etc. They follwed him and eventually circled him, one of them even tried to grab his wallet. Its pure imtidation tactics that they use an they will only target people on their own they wont walk up to a group of people and start hasslin them. Least thats what the guy doin the report said and this happened to him evety day for the week or 2 he was doin report. It was specifically on romanian beggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cawk n bawllz

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    Well you dont know they are dole for sure (chances are they are) but no they shouldnt (if they are) Prob asylum seekers. The romanians do have rings of that sort of thing around dublin especially on the heavy walked street like o connell and grafton. Saw it on tv before this reporter was doin a story on it and it had a hidden camera on him walking down o connell strret. 5 romanian women started askin him for money and he kept walkin sayin he didnt have any etc. They follwed him and eventually circled him, one of them even tried to grab his wallet. Its pure imtidation tactics that they use an they will only target people on their own they wont walk up to a group of people and start hasslin them. Least thats what the guy doin the report said and this happened to him evety day for the week or 2 he was doin report. It was specifically on romanian beggers.

I walk alone in Dublin very often and I've never seen anything like you've described. I've seen them by themselves though and they are very ****ing annoying! Begging is a disgraceful act no matter how bad your situation is but I've heard from several sources that Romanians choose to beg even though they live well. However many of these sources are xenophobic boggers so they're hardly reliable. On the other hand I was begged once by a Romanian woman who was carrying a fat baby in a full addidas tracksuit so that let down her little "destitute and hungry" facade.

What exactly are the Romanian people doing here if they can't make a decent living? The Irish government are the most incompetent bunch of **** I've ever witnessed. By all means let any nationality come and live in this country but DO NOT hand them a single penny of social benefit! I don't blame these people. They can get away with it so more power to them (not the filthy beggars, I mean the foreigners on social welfare) but our government is in major need of uprooting.

Your right they shouldnt be allowed in. Its not like they can travel within the EU like poland and that. There are crime rings of them tho check it out on google or that ive no doubt you will find something. I see them in Portlaoise alright at the bank machines and that but their moved on now cause that illegal to sit anywhere where people withdraw money (atm's, post offices, banks etc) If I had my way id send them back to where they came from so would the 3 quaters of the population im guessing. We have enough homeless Irish people here begging because the government wont get off their arse's and do something about it without forigners begging and imtimadating people. They are not poor thats for sure. Remember a while back there was one who was stopped leaving dublin airport by security, had a few grand on her. I was in killarney for work this year and there was one house I spotted there was about 10 of them living in this one house. all they did was walk around all day (I know cause I worked all over the town)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

There was an article in the daily Helsingin Sanomat a couple of months ago about Roma beggars in Helsinki. They first appeared about four years ago and are now all over the place in the city centre. Usually in a kneeling or sitting position and with their hands clasped as though praying. So far, they have not started clutching at people; begging is not actually illegal in Finland, but pestering and obstructing them is a public order offence.

The newspaper sent a female reporter to beg in various locations in the city centre and almost immediately Roma approached her and told her it was "their" patch. However, when they realised she was Finnish, they left her alone. It appears they have divided up the city into territories, which often correspond to regions in Romania and Bulgaria, and are very possessive and territorial about it, but they do not interfere with Finnish people (often alcoholics) who beg.

Therefore it is surprising that they have tried to drive Irish people off "their patch" in Ireland.

I never give to beggars, except in India and there only in the places near temples that are reserved for them.

The problem of Roma (and all other) beggars would be solved in Ireland if people just did not give them anything. Giving them even a eurocent is as irresponsible as throwing food around the neighbourhood to attract rats. There are places for the needy to go and get help, but they have to prove their identity and convince the giver that they are not just greedy chancers trying it on.:)

Il give to Irish beggers. With the times we now live in you don't know if they are junkies or people that have lost their homes with no where to go. I don't live in Dublin anymore but here is a nice story for you. My wife used to work in the city centre and every day she would walk across the Hapenny bridge. There was always the same guy there begging so she started to give you loose change everyday, nothing major just few pence, maybe £1 (When we were in punts). Sje did this for a long while, obsivously others were giving too but one day the guy wasn't there and it went on for a few days till someone dressed nice clean shaven etc was standing in the guys place not begging just standing. He stopped my wife and thanked her for all the money she had given him. He was able to save it and find a place to live, get a job and got back on his feet. It can be done just depends how much they when they beg.

But Roma's I hate them, no right to be here begging they should be allowed asylum because their own country is poor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement