Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

potable friendly....

Options
  • 21-12-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

What budget water storage tanks can be bought that are suitable for potable water storage (low polymer ect)? , thinking for a few hundred litres..........

p.s... how long does potable water last in the corect storage enviornment and equipment?

cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Potable water will last forever if you drip in a small amount of chlorine or other purifiers, keep it away from light and reasonably cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

thanks,

Do you only have to purify it once? i suppose there are ratios for the chlorine/tabs i.e 400litres requires 100mls of purifer?

Any where selling these local?

Location/ type of tanks anyone?

Im building a garage (soon) and thinking of putting a tank under the finished floor, there is a 10 foot drop to the lower garden so i could run a hose/ tap underground to this area easily.

Being under/in the garage it would be hidden/ frost and light free....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

thanks,

Do you only have to purify it once? i suppose there are ratios for the chlorine/tabs i.e 400litres requires 100mls of purifer?

Any where selling these local?
    I've only used 50 gallon (189 litre) food rated drums from the USA myself, there's a ratio calculator here. If you don't want to go for bleach, there are many commercial alternatives out there. One purification is fine as long as you keep it cool, dark and sealed - the only things that foul water are bacteria, fungi and organisms, once it's isolated, so don't give them a foothold and you're good.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

thanks,

Actually, I was asking my brother this recently. He is in the business of Industrial Water Treatment. If you using Sodium Hypochloride (available at all good co-op shops). The ratio is 10000 to 1 (50ppm).

The problem with it (and all bleaches) is the chlorine content reduces over time.

He gave me tablets as well that will indicate the level of chlorine in the water. Without them he said the rule is simple. If you can smell chlorine there's too much in there and dilute by 10 times.

In the spirit of "Zombie Preparedness", I'm planning to get him to do some experiments/show me what not to do, during the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Why not incorporate your water tank into your daily usage.........Put the tank between your house and the mains supply, so then you are constantly using the water from the tank which is being replenished from the mains. When the mains ceases for whatever reason, you still have your tank full of replenished fresh water.

• Advertisement

Its down to the practicalities of replumbing, placing a tank in the attic where it freezes in the winter or is way too warm in the summer:rolleyes:, gravity feed would be needed, and mains pressure would be lost at tap.......I would consider a backup setup on a new build alright.

Theres a spring about 150metres from my house (i think) I just need to get in a muni digger and clean/ open it up, what would be the best method of lining it for use? at the moment its just a pooled mucky wet patch in a field.....

Any one know where i can get a cost effective food grade 2-300litre tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭alanmcqueen

What budget water storage tanks can be bought that are suitable for potable water storage (low polymer ect)? , thinking for a few hundred litres..........

p.s... how long does potable water last in the corect storage enviornment and equipment?

cheers...

Great question; thinking about this myself for a while i.e. if I fill my containers from my tap with treated water - and mine goes through an under sink purifier as well - how long will it last? can I test it in anyway?

I would much rather have a situation where I just replace it or use it every *months i.e. refill the containers. Is there even a rough rule of thumb? I'm just not mad gone on the bleach but if it will only last a few weeks, it's worth it, but if it will last 6-12 months a time then I'd rather store and replace.

What part of the country are you in (roughly)? and would you have a way of transporting an IBC?

hi, i have access to the caged ibc's @50-60euro but im looking for a much smaller tank of 2-300 litres which is of suitable material / colour i.e low polymer / food grade and recommended for water storage..... they are available and can be got @ 2-300 euro will prob have to bite the bullet and buy one.......

I found a company i limerick city (raheen) that deal in storage solutions so i might call in to them on the off chance that they may have something more cost saving....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

hi, i have access to the caged ibc's @50-60euro but im looking for a much smaller tank of 2-300 litres which is of suitable material / colour i.e low polymer / food grade and recommended for water storage..... they are available and can be got @ 2-300 euro will prob have to bite the bullet and buy one.......

I found a company i limerick city (raheen) that deal in storage solutions so i might call in to them on the off chance that they may have something more cost saving....

220 litres then the local coop (glambia) is a good bet as if you speak to the right person then will get you one of the 220l drums that farmers use for the chemical to clean the milk lines a tenner each last time I bought some. They need a good wash out before use but are safe.

• Advertisement

Do you mean use a chemical container for keeping drinking water in?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

there is a 1000 and an 1100 ltr tank that i see a lot of farmers with round here
    they are less than 100quid
    dig it out (shovel and spade) a machine could make it sink
    re line it with blocks, put in a pump

but you can connect pump straight to attick , no need for such a large storage tank
    your standard tank would not be too expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

fodda wrote: »
    Do you mean use a chemical container for keeping drinking water in?

I mean use a container thats had the detergent in it that is used every day to clean the insides of the milk bulk tanks on farms. If its safe enough for use with the milk we drink I'm not going to worry about it. They come up very clean with a few vigorous rinces but then what would you expect.

Good article here on using them for rainwater http://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-instructions/recycled-plastic-drum-rainwater-tank/ but you can't get the drums with the screw tops very often - think they are used for bulk tomatoe puree and fruit juice concentrate transport. There used to be a guy near Newbawn in Wexford that did the fruit juice drums but not been down there in years.

220 litres then the local coop (glambia) is a good bet as if you speak to the right person then will get you one of the 220l drums that farmers use for the chemical to clean the milk lines a tenner each last time I bought some. They need a good wash out before use but are safe.

It's sodium hypochlorite, which can be used to disinfect water (10000:1 ratio). A good wash and it should be fine alright.

It's sodium hypochlorite, which can be used to disinfect water (10000:1 ratio). A good wash and it should be fine alright.

But being as the plastic isnt being used for food/water purposes.
    How do you know that the plastic used is ok to be used for storing water? as food/water plastic is totally different than other plastic used.

You can buy proper potable water tanks from Tanks.ie delivered to your door no hassle and the plastic used is the correct one.

Spoke to my dad and bro earlier about IBCs. They are both 99% sure all IBCs are food grade quality plastic. Though both also said that they would only use one for water that didn't have any oils ore poisonous chemicals in it.

Advertisement