Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading RAM for Noobs?

Options
  • 22-12-2011 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I have a Dell Studio 15, running Windows 7 with an i7 processor.
    Recently had a bit of trouble with the laptop using too much RAM (3.87gb out of 4) and overheating. Stripped down the laptop and cleaned it out, which sorted my problem out for a good while.

However, lately the RAM is still up around the 90% mark a lot of the time, even when I only have two or three windows open. I've disabled the visual effects, done a disk clean up and defragmentation, and pretty much everything else I've seen suggested to speed it up, but they've only worked temporarily.

My question is, how expensive and/or difficult would it be to put in more RAM? I don't know much about the physical aspects of a computer like changing RAM or processors, so I don't know what specs you need to know, but I'll be glad to reply as soon as I can if you need to know.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

4GB of RAM should be fine for most tasks, shouldn't be maxing out like that. Do you have anything like Norton running? Chances are its just some ridiculous bloatware that you need to get rid of. Other possibility is some sort of malware. Check your resource monitor to try and find whats hogging the RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭blankguitarist

I've done virus checks and nothing's coming up. The main thing using up RAM seems to be Chrome, but I've made all the changes I could find online to make it use less. Firefox was using even more RAM, which is why I switched to Chrome in the first place.

Advertisement