Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worming

Options
  • 22-12-2011 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Ok so it's my first time out on my own regarding worming.

My mare is due to be wormed at the moment, what should I be worming her against? What would be a good brand to get?

Don't ask me what wormer she got last, can't for the life of me remember.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Any of them are ok from your vetinary clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

The way I do it, is I worm when I move my lot into a fresh paddock. At this time of year they are treated for encysted redworm. Spring and early autumn they are wormed for tapeworm and one more dose in the midsummer.

The equest annual pack covers all this. (regular equest in midwinter, midsummer, equest pramox spring and autumn).

It would also be a good idea to get a worm count done during the most active worm season, i.e april onwards. Just to see what sort of worm burden your horses are carrying. Actually the thinking now, is the best way to manage is to do worm counts and then treat what is found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

fits wrote: »
    The way I do it, is I worm when I move my lot into a fresh paddock. At this time of year they are treated for encysted redworm. Spring and early autumn they are wormed for tapeworm and one more dose in the midsummer.

The equest annual pack covers all this. (regular equest in midwinter, midsummer, equest pramox spring and autumn).

It would also be a good idea to get a worm count done during the most active worm season, i.e april onwards. Just to see what sort of worm burden your horses are carrying. Actually the thinking now, is the best way to manage is to do worm counts and then treat what is found.

Thanks, I'm so not knowledgeable when it comes to different types of worms, worm seasons, etc. I'll look into getting a worm count, I'm assuming my vet will do this? She's due her vaccinations around march/April.

She is normally dosed every 12 weeks, so I'm assuming it's seasonal worming, she's overdue a wormer. I'll look into that brand, I kind of just want an all rounder so I don't need to worry about worming for specific things

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Equest kills everything except tapeworm (including encysted redworm)
    Equest pramox kills everything.

I normally throw one other brand in with a different active ingredient like eqvalan in midsummer.

If you're worming now, I'd use equest. Especially if its a young horse. Encysted redworm dont show up in worm counts and they migrate around this time of year (although who knows with this weather). This is often fatal in young horses.

http://www.wormers-direct.co.uk/typesofworms/smallredworm.html

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Vets do year long wormers, cant remember how much it is for the year but less than €100 for the year anyway.

I tend to just use the equest pack as mentioned above, and then one like telmin as well when not using the equest pramox. does the job very nicely, you need to make sure you annihilate everything!!

definitely worm them when they move paddock/to a new place. which reminds me, i need to do mine asap!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 rider66

For years I did the typical worming routine which was not easy since my horses hated the wormers. Even bribing with treats didn't help much. About 6 years ago I was introduced to the use of diatomaceous earth. It's a natural product that can be mixed with feed, is completely non-toxic, and had the side effect of making my horse's coat thick and shiny. A new vet did not believe me when I told him how old my horse was...until he checked his teeth! The only concern I ever had was that it can be drying to the skin and irritating if inhailed. You also have to make sure you use the food grade stuff. DE is also used in swimming pool filters but for that use it is heat-treated and something in that process makes it deadly to consume. The best source I've found is here Mod edit: <snip> It does take a little more work but my horse was happier, and so was I!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

She got wormed with Equest pramox there in the first week of january.

My mare is a pro at wormers, not a struggle she just takes it she's such a good mare. So she's done up untill april where I will give her a dose of Equest.

The 3 month wormers seems to be the handiest.

Advertisement