Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shunted switch required for washing machine & dishwasher

Options
  • 22-12-2011 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi -
    Looking for clarification on this as have heard both yes & no.
    We're having the kitchen redone and the builder says that for the washing machine & dishwasher having sockets under the new kitchen counter, we have to have those sockets run through a fused switch (shunt switch) - is this correct? - I'd prefer not to have our wall in the kitchen have some extra (mostly unused) switches
    If we do have to have this - can the 2 separate sockets (1 for washing machine & 1 for dishwasher) both be run off the same fused switch?
    does the fused switch have to be visible? - could it be hidden next to one of the sockets behind the appliance?
    Thx
    gok

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

gok wrote: »
    Hi -
    Looking for clarification on this as have heard both yes & no.
    We're having the kitchen redone and the builder says that for the washing machine & dishwasher having sockets under the new kitchen counter, we have to have those sockets run through a fused switch (shunt switch) - is this correct? - I'd prefer not to have our wall in the kitchen have some extra (mostly unused) switches
    If we do have to have this - can the 2 separate sockets (1 for washing machine & 1 for dishwasher) both be run off the same fused switch?
    does the fused switch have to be visible? - could it be hidden next to one of the sockets behind the appliance?
    Thx
    gok

Any sockets that will be inaccessible such as the washing machine and dishwasher, must have a double pole 20 amp switch above the counter to enable easy isolation of the appliances.

It is not a fused spur/switch, but a double pole 20 amp switch.

Each appliance with a hidden inaccessible socket requires one. It cant be beside the hidden socket, as this would defeat the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Agree with Robbie here

You may also need a double pole switch for the extractor fan and the microwave if it's built in

Possibly at least 4 dp switches required
    You can get these in a grid switch but it must be placed near the appliances to be isolated
    In practice I find individual switches a better option
    I can forsee going the industrial route with an emergency stop button for kitchen circuits in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gok

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Any sockets that will be inaccessible such as the washing machine and dishwasher, must have a double pole 20 amp switch above the counter to enable easy isolation of the appliances.

It is not a fused spur/switch, but a double pole 20 amp switch.
    ie ProductLargeImagePopup?storeId=10152&jsparm=false&imageName=119-9823563SPA73UC619860X.jpg&imageText=&jsparm=false
    So you;re saying that this which I bought in Argos is not going to do the Job
    Any suggestions where I might get some chrome coloured double-pole switches at somewhat reasonable prices? seems the prices here are many times more than in the UK :confused:
    Thx
    gok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

The rules state
    Socket outlets that are not readily accessible must be provided with a clearly labelled double pole switch rated 20amp in an accessible position e.g on a wall above the worktop

However , I think if you can get the appliance lead directly to that spur you have above the counter, that would be acceptable

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »
    The rules state
    Socket outlets that are not readily accessible must be provided with a clearly labelled double pole switch rated 20amp in an accessible position e.g on a wall above the worktop

However , I think if you can get the appliance lead directly to that spur you have above the counter, that would be acceptable

Yes, that makes sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement