Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish language postal address

Options
  • 22-12-2011 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I want to legally change my name from Peter Dineen to Peadar Ó Duinnín, but have not done so yet. If I put down Peadar on my postal address, will it get delivered to me?

Also, does anyone know the Irish for Urraghillmore West.
    I'm guessing it's something along the lines of Uraghill Mór Siar.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

if they can work out an address in newry in irish im sure they can do it in cork. an post have those procedures in place AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Is this the townland? Translation at left of screen: http://www.logainm.ie/Viewer.aspx?text=urraghilmore&streets=yes&listText=Urraghilmore+West

Do you have to legally change your name like you say to use the Irish version? Thought you'd be entitled to use the Irish without going through any paperwork.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

ANY Irish name makes it way to me in our area. You don't have to change it to get mail .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Ceann Rua is right, I use both versions of my name. It's not considered a name change. My birth cert has my original name so just to avoid confusion I have the English version of my name written on the info pages of my passport. Didn't cost me anything extra though and I can use my passport then to apply for bank accounts etc. The only thing I haven't changed is my pps info but I wouldn't say it's any hassle. The post man has to know the Irish names for street addresses too, they'll get to you no bother.
    And Peadar is a lovely name!

Advertisement