Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gatwick to Twickenham.

Options
  • 22-12-2011 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭

OK we go to the H-Cup final every year. This year it's on in Twickenham and the game is on Sat 19 May, 5PM.

Now I know it's ages away but I have to fly the Saturday morning because my Brother is getting married on the Friday. The flight I'm looking at lands at 2:15 that day so I'm trying to figure out if I can get from Gatwick to Twickenham in time. Basically I'm not looking for specific information because I know a lot can change between now and then and I appreciate the flight might run late but everything else going well am I being realistic?

I figure Gwick express to Victoria and then on to Richmond and Twckham. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best route or even if they suspect special transport will be organised. Cheers.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Rather than getting the Gatwick Express, you could get the regular train towards Victoria then switch at Clapham Junction for the train to Twickenham, I reckon that would take about an hour. They may well have special transport for the match though, like you said!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dr.Giggles

That's the best route, about 25 mins to Clapham junction from Gatwick, then get the speedy train to Twickenham, takes 12/15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Worse case scenario would involve getting a taxi for about £50.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

You can get from Gatwick to Twickenham in just under an hour, easily. Like the others said, the train from Gatwick to London Victoria (not strictly the Gatwick Express as the Express doesn't actually stop anywhere until it gets to Victoria - I've made that mistake before so just remember to check the departure board!), change at Clapham Junction and the train to Twickenham from there.

So all going well, you should definitely make it with not much bother - although worth getting there early as transport to Twickenham always gets very busy on match days. Nice buzz around though! The England v. Ireland match on Paddy's day should be an interesting one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Cheers for that advice guys. I know May is ages away but I just booked a flight for €35. So Gatwick-Clapham Jctn-Twickenham. Yeah at a push and a shove I'll settle for a taxi but if the other way gets me there in an hour then good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Even counting the half an hour to get to the platform and a maximum of a 15 minute wait for the next train to Victoria you should have plenty of time.

I'll be going to the game myself with a switch at Clapham Junction as well.

Advertisement