Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gsm contol of heating in conjunction with timer

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

foxirl wrote: »
    Not really. I have mine a good bit away from my router so some times the signal is quite bad. When this occurs if you try go onto your phone you will not be able to connect to the wemo. Rarely happens though. Going to add a wifi extender in my house to solve this.

Used it for an electric under blanket on the bed. Class when you are arriving home late at night and no heat on and you can switch electric blanket on 20 mins before you get home. Imagine the brownie points from the better half :D

Any other questions on the wemo just shout?

Do you have to have an iPhone5? What about Android phones?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Wearb wrote: »
    Do you have to have an iPhone5? What about Android phones?

I'm on iphone 4 but there's an app for IOS and Android

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

Can I ask a stupid question in relation to your setup?
    If you didnt snip the wire coming from the timeclock to the terminal would you have been able to control the heating by the time clock and also by the wemo. For example if the clock was set to come on from 6pm to 7pm you obviously wouldnt be able to turn it off using the wemo but you could turn the wemo on outside these times so you could turn it on at 8pm and switch it off at any stage you want?

You could do that but there is no need as you can set up times on the wemo app. It's very straight forward.

I'm on iphone 4 but there's an app for IOS and Android

I have a nexus 4. Works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

This one is a bit expensive, but it looks good: http://www.climote.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zen65 wrote: »
    This one is a bit expensive, but it looks good: http://www.climote.ie/

There's no remote thermostat so in most cases I'll be located beside the boiler away from the living space. There's also an annual cost.
    There's also no external stat. Do it doesn't change its pattern.

Units like the nest and Tado seem better in that they adjust based in external factors etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Dufftronic wrote: »
    Ok. The inputs and outputs from my heating controller (time clock) go to a junction box (here: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Drayton-LWC1-Wiring-Centre-Drayton-16-Way-Wiring-Centre-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMTk1/z/lrkAAOxyTyBSVbh-/$T2eC16FHJIQFHGwrCTKCBSVbh9g6Mg~~60_35.JPG).

Firstly i fitted a new socket, with the supply spurred from the box linked above. I removed the wire from the timeclock (snipped and heatshrunk) for controlling the CH, ie when the boiler is to come on this connection gets 230V. With my Wemo plugged into the new socket, i then plugged a 13A plugtop in the Wemo, with the live from the plugtop going to the terminal on the box that the timeclock had initially been connected to for my CH (obviously neutral and earth are also connected).

Is that any clearer or is that worse?

Thanks but the link is broken, can you repost? Cheers.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Thanks but the link is broken, can you repost? Cheers.

All it is, is a box with two strip connector blocks in it with all the inputs and outputs connected to it. Tbh, I don't know why I put a link to it in the first place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Hi
    I know this tread is almost 2 years old but i am looking for a GSM system that will remote control a heating system, ie replace a 24hr Timer clock turn Heat on off by text message. Anything new on the market over the last few years that someone would recommend. Needs a mobile connection has have no landline or Wi-fi.

Tks

Advertisement