Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Work courses 2012

Options
  • 22-12-2011 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anybody is applying to do Social Work this coming year 2012.
    I am applying in the following order
    1. BSW Social Work UCC (Mature students only)
    2. Social Studies (Social Work) TCD.

I'm a little nervous about the MSAP test and interviews (if I get that far of course :)) so it would be cool if anyone else feels like chatting about the application process.

Beirne

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well, for me I had to do MSAP exam, and all I'll say is go in well rested and calm. It's not a big deal, and for most of it you can't prepare.

For the essay writing part, just remember to have a clear essay structure with a good overview introduction, your main content giving diversing opinions on the subject matter, and then a summary of everything and side with one part of the argument and why. Reading essay writing skills is the only prep you can do really. I found it helped to have it fresh in my mind anyway.

Regarding interviews, they are very relaxed, and they just want to get a sense of who you are, the type of person you are, why you want to do the course etc., so I would suggest just not to be nervous, it's quite casual, and just be open and honest and really say why you want to do it and why you think you'll be good at it and you'll be grand. :)

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

In practise there are no new jobs for social workers in the Republic so be aware that if you qualify you may have to emigrate to get a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sookey

There are loads of jobs in the social care sector through job bridging, dunno where you got your information, their crying out for social care graduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

The original post was in relation to social work not social care work. To the best of my knowledge the Job Bridge scheme is geared at people who have a qualification but may not have a lot of experience. Most people coming off the Masters in Social work will have worked in the field after getting a social science degree and before starting the Masters. During their training they will have completed placements so they already have a significant amount of experience. The HSE is the largest employer of social workers and whatever political spin they give to the Newspapers about 200 new jobs as a result of the Ryan report they are not hiring. I know of 2011 and 2010 graduates who have been on the HSE panel but have not been offered jobs. Mature entrants inot the profession are likely to have family or other committment that mean they cannot just head overseas so it is important to be aware of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Plenty of social care jobs out there but not social work (BIG difference and an age old mistake!). All of my masters class 2010 got jobs BUT most were contract/agency/maternity cover however they were all employed within months. However, there are no NEW jobs on the scene..

My advice? Pack your bags and go. I did and so did 3-4 others, and have gotten good permanant jobs globally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement