Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman, Faulty laptop 3rd time for repair HELP

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Just to clarify, but the Repair/Replacement/Refund thing is not a sequence. (not suggesting anyone here thinks that). They are simply the options the retailer legally must offer you. The retailer only needs to offer one option, there is no order and if you refuse one they don't have offer an different one. They can make the same offer every time, e.g. if the problem recurs after a previous repair they can still offer a repair. However if either side is unreasonable it could make them look bad to the SCC.

I'd agree you shouldn't settle for another repair but just bare in mind the retailer is within it's rights to offer only that. Best of luck. :)

Any repair must be permanent. If the same fault occurs again another remedy is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Tazium wrote: »
    Any repair must be permanent. If the same fault occurs again another remedy is required.
    Fully agree, and that's what the retailer should do but there is still no legal requirement to offer any specific remedy. I'm just clarifying to the OP that the retailer still has the right to offer another repair and the consumer has the right to refuse it. It's for the SCC to rule if the repair offer is unreasonable (which it probably would be).

Even the NCA are a little vague by using the word "should" (my emphasis).
    Repair
    If you request a repair of a faulty product instead of rejecting it, it should be a permanent repair. If the same fault occurs again, then you should be entitled to a replacement or refund. If you are not happy with the retailer’s offer to repair the item, you can reject it. But if you do this, you may have to use the Small Claims process if you want to take the matter further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

trick wrote: »
    Imitation the laptop wouldn't be able to be sold second hand anyway as the gal in the shop said it was burned out.
    Check out consumer law act 1980 it's refers to the 3 R's repair, replacement or refund.

I understand that, what I was trying to highlight was that for the last 2.5 years you have extracted value from the laptop (apart from the various repairs), so in reality receiving the full value back wouldn't be fair on the retailer.

I'm not an expert on consumer law, but there is the perception that you get a one year warranty on an item and that it. In reality its the case both the shop and the consumer are in agreement it should last at least one year. After that point it become less clear, as far as I know the law says a reasonable period, so really it would have to be determined in the SCC or another court and I think its pretty likely there will a compromise of some sort. I think replacement is the best option, you'll probably get a better specced laptop for your trouble due to the continuous progress in specs

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The fault started developing after approx 15months, lines started rising up the screen gradually until they were up approx 2cm around this time the fan was developing the fault & was overheating the laptop.
    Did they say that they replaced the screen or are you just assuming this? I ask as the faulty fan that you speak of will affect two things quickly: the CPU, and the onboard graphics chip. The lines you speak of sound like the faulty fan caused the graphics chip to overheat and slowly start to die.

Check (your warranty) if they have to give you the full value if they offer money. Also, if you do go into HN, ensure you bring someone who knows about computers, to ensure you don't get ripped off. Oh, and backup your hard-drive (data is never covered under the warranties).

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭trick

the_syco wrote: »
    Did they say that they replaced the screen or are you just assuming this? I ask as the faulty fan that you speak of will affect two things quickly: the CPU, and the onboard graphics chip. The lines you speak of sound like the faulty fan caused the graphics chip to overheat and slowly start to die.

Check (your warranty) if they have to give you the full value if they offer money. Also, if you do go into HN, ensure you bring someone who knows about computers, to ensure you don't get ripped off. Oh, and backup your hard-drive (data is never covered under the warranties).

Nope they told me it was replaced & it said so on the receipt. Feel like I'm going around in circles on this thread now so will leave it lie & get back to it when I have resolved the problem with HN.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

I decided to call HN head office today as I haven heard anything back from HN and the laptop has been in their possession for 14days.
    The girl in head office is actually the nicest customer service agent that I have ever spoken to. She was so apologetic & said that I should have just phoned them in the first place. She said she was sorry 'from the bottom of' her 'heart' for the hassle I have gone through with the laptop.
    She said she will get it sorted in the next few days & give me a buzz on tues or wed with an update as to what is happening.
    Delighted now that I called there today.
    Hopefully will have good news by wed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... The girl in head office is actually the nicest customer service agent that I have ever spoken to. She was so apologetic & said that I should have just phoned them in the first place. She said she was sorry 'from the bottom of' her 'heart' for the hassle I have gone through with the laptop....

I hope the matter now plays out in a way that satisfies you, and the following comment is general, and is not intended to suggest that HN will let you down:
    When a customer is unhappy, it costs nothing to show some concern about it, and simply be nice to them. Even if a business concludes that the customer is seeking more than should be given, it is possible to refuse a claim or to offer the customer less than is being sought in a good manner.

My own history with HN is that I once had a complaint about goods supplied. The person I dealt with was the assistant who had sold me the goods. She was very nice, clearly saw it as her duty to sort the problem, and we achieved a solution that was satisfactory all round.

I hope the matter now plays out in a way that satisfies you, and the following comment is general, and is not intended to suggest that HN will let you down:
    When a customer is unhappy, it costs nothing to show some concern about it, and simply be nice to them. Even if a business concludes that the customer is seeking more than should be given, it is possible to refuse a claim or to offer the customer less than is being sought in a good manner.

My own history with HN is that I once had a complaint about goods supplied. The person I dealt with was the assistant who had sold me the goods. She was very nice, clearly saw it as her duty to sort the problem, and we achieved a solution that was satisfactory all round.

I'm sticking to my guns ;)

Lovely lady from Harvey Norman head office called me back promptly this morning and offered me a replacement laptop. Higher specification than the one I had so going to accept that.
    Delighted with the outcome & delighted to say case closed.
    Thanks for all the advice on this thread & see you all about ;)

Advertisement