Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 22-12-2011 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So I was at my Christmas party Saturday night and in my drunken state I told someone that I was going for a job interview in January with a different company.This of course got back to my manager who tackled me about it last night during a different staff night out.

It went something along the lines of - you have no loyalty,you have burned your bridges and we are looking for your replacement.

All fair enough,I should have kept my mouth shut in the first instance but I didnt so here I am.

Im very hopeful of getting this other job because I used to work for the company in a different office and left it on really good terms.I also have a number of connections within the company too so fingers crossed.

Anyway,what I want to know is that should my current employer decide they want me gone,am I within my rights to request the reason for it in writing.Im working there 7 months,have consistently met and exceeded individual and team targets so its not that they can turn around and say Im not doing my job.

Its a full time permanent job (have to re-check the exact wording of my contract but thats basically it),Ive had no progress meetings,no probation period,no issues with punctuality,attendance etc so from a doing my job perspective Im golden however should they give me a notice period (which I presume they can) do they a)have to give a reason and b)do they have to provide it in writing if I request it.

Thanks in advance and before anyone says it,I know Im a tit. :embarrassed:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Anyway,what I want to know is that should my current employer decide they want me gone,am I within my rights to request the reason for it in writing.Im working there 7 months,have consistently met and exceeded individual and team targets so its not that they can turn around and say Im not doing my job.

Its a full time permanent job (have to re-check the exact wording of my contract but thats basically it),Ive had no progress meetings,no probation period,no issues with punctuality,attendance etc so from a doing my job perspective Im golden however should they give me a notice period (which I presume they can) do they a)have to give a reason and b)do they have to provide it in writing if I request it.

Thanks in advance and before anyone says it,I know Im a tit. :embarrassed:
    That part is what will screw you; up to 12 months and they can let you go with out reason pretty much. Still have to give you your notice period, outstanding holidays etc. but beyond that you're unlikely to get anything IF they decide to pull the plug on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

.... My manager who tackled me about it last night during a different staff night out.

For now I'd say ignore it for now. Seriously doubt they're looking for a replacement this week anyway - maybe they will after Christmas.

If your manager wants to replace you, and you with less than 12 months service and nothing signed off to say that you've finished probation - then your manager needs to tell you about it in the office. They need to pay out your notice, prepare a P45, and I'd guess a letter or somesuch explaining To Whom It May Concern (ie Welfare) that you are not being kept on because you have been found to be unsuitable.

IMHO, don't do anything to push your manager into actually doing this. But do be doing some other job hunting unless the other job doesn't come off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Do some more job hunting OP
    Don't put all your hopes on this one interview next month

I've been offered a job before but it got withdrawn suddenly as a senior manager would not sign off on the new position. It was nothing to do with me, I was interviewed and already selected.
    Just senior management have to approve and set aside a budget for each new position

You seem to be very confident in yourself but even if the new company want you the job can be withdrawn

So keep looking

you have no loyalty,

Companies expect loyalty yet they can get rid of anyone easily once you're there under twelve months.
    Loyalty works one way it seems :(

Advertisement