Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifetime Dog Licence

• 22-12-2011 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭

A new lifetime dog licence worth €140 is been introduced on January 1st. The current annual licence will rise from €12.70 to €20.

My question is, I currently have two dogs, I've had them since they were pups and they are both shy of a year old. To date I never bothered getting a licence for them. If I were to licence them both now, would I be on the 'books' say and have to pay every year then or face prosecution?

I've been lucky to date that or neighbours have never complained about them barking or anything similar, lets hope that luck lasts :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

A new lifetime dog licence worth €140 is been introduced on January 1st. The current annual licence will rise from €12.70 to €20.

My question is, I currently have two dogs, I've had them since they were pups and they are both shy of a year old. To date I never bothered getting a licence for them. If I were to licence them both now, would I be on the 'books' say and have to pay every year then or face prosecution?

I've been lucky to date that or neighbours have never complained about them barking or anything similar, lets hope that luck lasts :P

For the sake of 40 notes a year, i'd get them. Be a killer to come across a warden on a walk for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

alproctor wrote: »
    For the sake of 40 notes a year, i'd get them. Be a killer to come across a warden on a walk for example.

Only get a chance to walk them late in the evening so chances of that are slim to none but yea it would be a killer!

I know its only €40 a year, but add in vet bills, food and toys/misc etc, it all adds up (and before anybody gets there, yes I realise I made the choice to get the two of them :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The warden came knocking on doors in our area just after we got our guy checking for dogs and licenses so I personally wouldn't chance it. One of my neighbours said it wan't the first time either. I have the license stuck to the fridge with magnets in case he comes back lol!

PS before anyone asks yes it was the real dog warden not a dognapper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

tk123 wrote: »
    The warden came knocking on doors in our area just after we got our guy checking for dogs and licenses so I personally wouldn't chance it. One of my neighbours said it wan't the first time either. I have the license stuck to the fridge with magnets in case he comes back lol!

PS before anyone asks yes it was the real dog warden not a dognapper!

If he comes knocking here again he'll get nothing. If he wants he can look the records up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Is there really dog wardens out there looking for unlicensed dogs,

I live out in the country and when we got our dog about eight months ago we asked the neighbours.
    We have two neighbours, one has one dog and the other has two dogs about the license they both thought we were mad getting one,
    Why bother they said, you'll never get caught out here.

To be honest I might not have bothered but the wife kept on at me so now we have a license and at least feel happy as she (Dog not wife) is a life long pet and the new option mentioned might work out better value.

Just out of interest though what would happen to someone with a unlicensed dog should they be found out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Doesn't one license cover all dogs in a household?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

darokane wrote: »

I think you need one per dog...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Nope, you have to give gender, breed & colour of dog for licence.

Anyone know what happens if you bought a licence but can't find it, will they bother looking up records or do I have to have the copy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Where is that information on the new licence fee?
    Technically yes you would be liable to prosecution. Yes you would be on the books, I got my reminder just yesterday to renew my dog licence for Buddy.
    If he comes knocking here again he'll get nothing. If he wants he can look the records up.
    Generally when they come knocking its because there is a complaint so they already know you have a dog.
    No
    TillyGirl wrote: »
    Nope, you have to give gender, breed & colour of dog for licence.

Anyone know what happens if you bought a licence but can't find it, will they bother looking up records or do I have to have the copy?
    Afaik you do not have to have the actual licence when they call for them to see, they will already know house by house which dog/dogs should be there, unless one is a pup who you have not registered yet. When your renewal is due you get a reminder in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

IMO they need to either make it mandatory or scrap it - either we all have one or we don't. Why should some people get one and others not bother - it's not fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I have never received a renewal notice.

garkane wrote: »
    Where is that information on the new licence fee?
    Technically yes you would be liable to prosecution. Yes you would be on the books, I got my reminder just yesterday to renew my dog licence for Buddy.

Saw it on the limerick post this morning. The €140 for life is a good deal unless god forbid something happens to the dog a week/month/year later.

Think I might play it safe and get the licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I have never received a renewal notice.

From Waterford I had a renewal notice and eventually a "final demand" when I totally forgot to renew one of the dogs licences.

Thinking back we've had renewal notices for every dog we've ever licenced - if we didn't we'd definitely forget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

IMO they need to either make it mandatory or scrap it - either we all have one or we don't. ...
    It is mandatory. Just because some cheapskate leeches choose not to buy one doesn't excuse everyone else.

You'll find that the un-licenced dogs are the ones most likely to kill sheep and other livestock, foul footpaths, green-spaces and childrens' play-areas and other peoples' property.

.. Why should some people get one and others not bother - it's not fair.
    Some dogs (assistants and companions for less-able bodied people) get free licences and the idea I thought with the new licence fees was to help buy and / or train new dogs for these roles. Obviously the parasites with un-licenced dogs don't think this is a good idea or don't want to contribute. Happy Christmas, enjoy mid-night Mass all ye Christian law-breakers.

mathepac wrote: »
    It is mandatory. Just because some cheapskate leeches choose not to buy one doesn't excuse everyone else.

You'll find that the un-licenced dogs are the ones most likely to kill sheep and other livestock, foul footpaths, green-spaces and childrens' play-areas and other peoples' property.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    that is probably the most ridiculous statement i have ever read in my life
    Can you show some evidence to back up your claims?

This made me LOL! Come on mathepac you can not seriously think this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

In Germany you get a small Tax Disc for your Dogs collar when you pay the Licence
    By Law your dogs collar has to display it and if you are out walking and you dont have it you get fined . If your dog does not have it when wondering the Streets it will be picked up

best way to do it really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

What annoys me is that there is practically zero enforcement of the licencing (check the dog pound stats on the Dept. of Agriculture website) yet if you do the responsible thing and licence your dog, the local authority hounds you each and every year to renew it. Meanwhile the vast majority of dog owners don't bother with a licence at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

That's a TV licence you're thinking of! :pac:

But seriously, no you have to have one licence per dog!

I fully agree boomerang! I just literally renewed Buddy's licence there online and got the new licence for Izzy aswel while I was at it.

Nowhere near enough enforcement of the Dog licence laws.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... that is probably the most ridiculous statement i have ever read in my life ...
    The part of my post you quoted contains several statements. Which of them do you classify as ridiculous?

Licence your dogs and you'll be better equipped to take a stance on the indignant / sarcastic / stupid post route.

Meanwhile you brother / cousin / sister :D at the other end of the motorway with dogs licenced, for some reason comes across as very defensive -
    This made me LOL! Come on mathepac you can not seriously think this?
    boomerang wrote: »
    ... Meanwhile the vast majority of dog owners don't bother with a licence at all.
    Which makes my point for me. If the majority are un-licenced, then statistically the ones doing damage and fouling are more likely to be un-licenced.

Which makes my point for me. If the majority are un-licenced, then statistically the ones doing damage and fouling are more likely to be un-licenced.

How? Licenced dogs sh!t too and do damage. So do unlicened dogs but how can you think its the majority of unlicened dogs in fairness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

A warden came knocking around every house on my road a few months ago, this was before I'd a dog. He also said there could be cat licences coming out in the near future too:confused:

Btw what is the licence exactly for? Got mine just last week my pup is only 5 months but couldnt believe it was only 12.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

ziggy23 wrote: »
    A warden came knocking around every house on my road a few months ago, this was before I'd a dog. He also said there could be cat licences coming out in the near future too:confused:

That has led to my thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056492096

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

WIZE wrote: »

Didn't see that. Great minds think alike;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

IMO they need to either make it mandatory or scrap it - either we all have one or we don't. Why should some people get one and others not bother - it's not fair.
    it is mandatory. Same as anything like car tax or PAYE where some people just don't pay them. It doesn't mean you shouldn't bother taxing your car just cos someone u know doesn't pay! Personally i have no problem paying this nominal amount each year.

For something like car tax I understand paying it, roads get updated and maintained because we pay car tax... Tv licence is paid so we get to watch crappy Irish tv programmes :p
    But a dog licence... What do you get for your dog licence? An uneducated Dog Warden???

For something like car tax I understand paying it, roads get updated and maintained because we pay car tax... Tv licence is paid so we get to watch crappy Irish tv programmes :p
    But a dog licence... What do you get for your dog licence? An uneducated Dog Warden???

Its meant to go towards prevention of cruelty to animals etc. But you still see dog farms and the like all over the country.

If they had better methods of enforcing it and using the money wisely, i'd pay up in a hearbeat. Nobody wants to hear of animals living in absolute appalling conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think ministers should need a licence - for compentency.

• Advertisement

alproctor wrote: »
    That's a TV licence you're thinking of! :pac:

But seriously, no you have to have one licence per dog!

So i've been bringing my tv for walks all these years

Advertisement