Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifetime Dog Licence

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

mathepac wrote: »
    The part of my post you quoted contains several statements. Which of them do you classify as ridiculous?

Licence your dogs and you'll be better equipped to take a stance on the indignant / sarcastic / stupid post route.

Anything that you have said basically.
    And now you're trying to be presumptious, You're posts are almost troll like except without any intelligence at all.

Who says i even own a dog?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

darokane wrote: »
    ... Who says i even own a dog?
    Sorry my bad, I got my ....kanes mixed up. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

mathepac wrote: »
    It is mandatory. .

Sorry I should have said it should enforced! I was running out the door to xmas lunch in work :pac::rolleyes:

It could be a good thing to have a one off charge if it was done correctly? Like if they maybe tied it in with breeding and only allowed approved breeders to register and license the pups if that makes sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So a license will be €20 & the fine for not having one is €30 !

None of the license money goes towards welfare. It all goes to the Council & they decide who much of it to allocate to the Pound & Wardens. No one has been prosecuted in Galway for years !

Some of us lobbied for a fundamental change in the license with a higher cost but substantial discounts for neutering & microchipping - the chip number would go on the license.

Many years ago I went to my local Post Office & asked for a license. The Postmistress asked if I was sure & then produced a shoe box. She blew the dust off of the top & told me that mine would be the first license that she had issued in 6 years !.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I think the dog licence should be reformed to resemble the driving licence, eg it's mandatory before you get a dog and you cannot get one until you have proven that you are willing and capable to be a responsible dog owner.
    People could, for example, have to do a short course in dog care and sit a test in order to get the licence.
    It may help to cut down on the stray issue. If the test had a component regarding the ethical sourcing of dogs, it may help to turn people away from puppy farmers. Also, I think that the young guys who acquire RBs just to look "cool", or the girls who want a "cool" Paris Hilton accessory toy dog, wouldn't feel so "cool" going to classes about how to actually care for their dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I don't have a dog license, my lad is microchipped, vaccinated, is either in our backyard or the house or on a lead when we are outside. He is get well looked after.

It is the principal of the thing really, I think that the license is a waste if time, if they reformed it I would happily pay. Very little info is actually required for a license so 1 license could be used for thousands of dogs that look similar. All dogs should be microchipped and that number tied to their license that way if they are mistreated then they will be able to be tied to thei owners and maybe prosecuted, or of the dog bites someone, causes an accident etc.

Also if I knew this money was say going to help the cruelly treated and abandoned animals I would happily pay.

Also I have lived in my house for 17 years, in that length of time the dog warden called to our door once, they asked if we had a dog I said no he said okay, thank you and walked away. That was it. My cousin however got caught as he was out playing with his dog and the warden gave him 2 weeks to get a license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

If the money for licence was going to animal welfare I would have no problems in paying .if the dog warden was working with animal rescue places and any dog picked up was given to them as opposed to being thrown in pound to be ill treated and ultimately put to sleep,then id pay, no prob. Better still, prefer if no dog warden but money given to local animal rescues who, in cork, do as much as a warden to take dogs off the streets

A license is pointless without mandatory microchipping. It should be made law that you cannot sell or transfer ownership of any dog without it being microchipped. Then you go to the PO with your microchip certificate & the chip number gets stored on a database & written on the license.

This would greatly reduce the stray problem because every owner would be easy to trace. The Dog Wardens could refocus on tracing & prosecuting any one who's dog is not microchipped. The problem is that the government consider that the existing system of a name tag is satisfactory & they do not propose changing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I thought the lifetime dog licence sounded great till I realised its the life of the dog, not the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree the dog chipped should match the number licence that the owner should put on the licence ie if they actually did it like that. Putting down a dogs gender/breed/age/colour means you can use the licence if say your dog died and you got another one exactly the same roughly the same age etc.

I would prefer if the money went to welfare organisations or at least a part of it did not paying pounds to put animals to sleep. There should also be a discount on licences if your dog is chipped and neutered..imo anyway and a further discount if you have multiple pets.

I do think however if someone gets a young dog or pup now it's a good idea to go with the lifetime licence, but if your dog is elderly probably isn't worth it although it would be nice if they could live on another few years no point in getting a lifetime licence for a very elderly pooch.

If only all pets had to have a licence by law and it was properly enforced for all pets, that'd quickly put a stop to most people randomly buying animals from irresponsible sources etc. Although shouldn't give the government ideas they might start taxing individual goldfish and crickets next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

If only all pets had to have a licence by law and it was properly enforced for all pets, that'd quickly put a stop to most people randomly buying animals from irresponsible sources etc. Although shouldn't give the government ideas they might start taxing individual goldfish and crickets next.

It might also put a stop to people taking in strays, these are generally the people who can least afford it anyway. If I couldn't afford licences for all the cats I've taken in, who's going to look after them, they were discarded and left to breed in the first place. There's no point having licences without adequate welfare in place, and when's that ever going to happen in this country?

Unfortunately the legislators ignored the idea of making rescues exempt from needing licenses. It seems bizarre to give them a grant & then charge them for a license :rolleyes:

Advertisement