Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco epc2425 + 2 Xboxes

Options
  • 22-12-2011 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I recently got UPC in, and I'm having trouble connecting 2 xboxes.
    One will connect fine, but the second will have a moderate nat and will lag alot, and forget about joining a party together or playing in the same game.

After a bit of research, I haven't found anyone who's managed to give an open NAT to 2 xboxes with this router. A suggestion I've come across is to put the epc into bridge mode and use another router to do the routing.

I have a couple of eircom 2247 routers and an eircom zyxel router lying around, would any of these do? If so, what settings would they need etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Opening the ports for one of the Xbox's and setting the other to the DMZ may work?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

Meesared wrote: »
    Opening the ports for one of the Xbox's and setting the other to the DMZ may work?

I'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

chalky wrote: »
    A suggestion I've come across is to put the epc into bridge mode and use another router to do the routing.

I have a couple of eircom 2247 routers and an eircom zyxel router lying around, would any of these do? If so, what settings would they need etc?

Thanks

if you have a phone on upc it wont work if that router/modem monstrosity is set to bridge mode

i'd go with putting the second xbox in the dmz

theteal wrote: »
    if you have a phone on upc it wont work if that router/modem monstrosity is set to bridge mode

i'd go with putting the second xbox in the dmz

I don't have a phone, only TV and internet.

I'll try putting the 2nd xbox in DMZ and I'll post back with the results

So I tried that, and it didn't work. Another thought was to set up a subnet with the netopia router and set that to the cisco's DMZ, but I haven't been able to get that working either

• Advertisement

Basically your only choice is to hassle UPC into giving you another router (which is unlikely from what ive heard)

Dang! I'll give it a go anyway. I'll let you know how I get on

Let me know if you have any luck, cos i wouldnt mind getting rid of my cisco

Just an update:
    I called UPC, but the second I mentioned xbox, they told me they couldn't help me, and referred me to a premium rate number they said handled those issues.
    I couldn't get on to them, cos apparently my mobile provider restricts those numbers for me.
    Eventually I just bit the bullet and bought a new router. I put the upc modem in bridge mode and let the new router do all the routing, and it seems to be working ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Just as well that you bought a new router, that Cisco modem can't have 2 xboxes with open NAT at the same time. I just use it in bridge mode now, I've now got 2 open NAT xboxes and 1 open NAT PS3 on my network.

I've got the Cisco E4200, i highly recommend it

• Advertisement

I was very tempted to buy that, but it's a bit out of my price range.
    I got a Linksys WRT120N router, and that's working ok

Yeah, that linksys is a great router too, a few of my friends have it. I spent the extra on the cisco since it has a built in media server, saved me then buying an external media server.

Just port forward one of the xboxes, DMZ the other, and turn UPnP on, that should give them both open NAT

I already have a custom build HTPC, so I can't use that excuse.
    The dual band wireless is what was attracting me to it

I don't notice a huge increase in the dual band speeds at all, i don't think it's all that good yet, i'll give it another year, hopefully it'll be better by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

Hey guys. I'm wanting to buy a new router and put my EPC2425 in to bridge mode as well and was just wondering what router to buy? Am I supposed to buy an ASDL router or Cable router?

Cable router

Advertisement