Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road blocked off by gate

Options
  • 22-12-2011 3:00pm

I have just walked into town and have just noticed that the road down by Cactus Jacks has now got a gate going across it.

Anyone know why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It's probably the one for blocking traffic into Flood Street at the weekends left across the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

filming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Filming I'd say. Drove in around that area last night and there was a large Outside Broadcast Unit truck parked across from the House Hotel with cables running across the road and up the lane Cactus is on. I was thinking maybe they were filming something upstairs in the Quays for TG4?? Like those "talent" and music shows you might see the odd time on TG4 from the Quays.....

Filming I'd say. Drove in around that area last night and there was a large Outside Broadcast Unit truck parked across from the House Hotel with cables running across the road and up the lane Cactus is on. I was thinking maybe they were filming something upstairs in the Quays for TG4?? Like those "talent" and music shows you might see the odd time on TG4 from the Quays.....

Don't think it's just for that as it seems permanent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I heard Hilary Clinton will be exercising her right to drove her flock of sheep through town, and people are putting up barriers in some areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

'Glor Tíre' is filming the final in the Quay's either last night or tonight.

Good show actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Saw them there earlier welding and what not, the lads said they are just a more permanent and easier thing than the railings that are normally there on busy weekend nights or during festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I saw them filming by the house hotel 2 weeks ago. Or to say the OB truck was parked there but the wires went across the road and up towards Court House lane. I have no idea where on the lane the wires went.

The same day they were also filming up on Presentation road(is it a school up by the S-bend). I'm not from Galway so bear with me. It was a Thursday anyway 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I saw them filming by the house hotel 2 weeks ago. Or to say the OB truck was parked there but the wires went across the road and up towards Court House lane. I have no idea where on the lane the wires went.

The same day they were also filming up on Presentation road(is it a school up by the S-bend). I'm not from Galway so bear with me. It was a Thursday anyway 2 weeks ago.
    Filming in The Quays and for 'Jack Taylor' on Presentation road. Separate events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

These are solid metal gates though, they seem much more permanent and for something more than the filming that goes on down there...

• Advertisement

I saw what Boney was on about yesterday. They're a heavy, permanent gate. I looks like they're to be used to block off Flood Street, Cross Street, Middle Street, Abbeygate Street and Augustine Street. However, they can't be closed if there's anyone parked in the space beside them, as they're positioned a couple of feet into the loading bay/parking area!

Tried calling the corpo about it, but they're closed until January 3rd and their calls are going through to an emergancy line which sounds like it's in Cork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This thread needs photographic evidence!
    What d'ya reckon it's value is in scrap metal Fey?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

saw it lastnite, its defo a permanent gate put in to stop the Taxi drivers clogging up cross st.

snubbleste wrote: »
    This thread needs photographic evidence!
    What d'ya reckon it's value is in scrap metal Fey?

I'll give dem €50 for da lot, boss! Behst offer. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Seems a bit silly. There are a few private off street private residential car parks in the area. such as beside the Amnesty shop/Sweetie Pies and there are 2 others opposite the Dole office/Library. How will they be able to drive to their spaces if the only access point is closed off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Seems a bit silly. There are a few private off street private residential car parks in the area. such as beside the Amnesty shop/Sweetie Pies and there are 2 others opposite the Dole office/Library. How will they be able to drive to their spaces if the only access point is closed off?

The thought occurs that this may be some form of flood defence. Flood street is so named for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

Advertisement