Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do you get xmas gifts from businesses?

• 22-12-2011 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

i remember when we where young my dad used to get a few hampers and bottles of alcohol, sweets ets... dont seem to be too many doing that now, got a bottle of whiskey and a diary last week from one company, not holding my breath for anymore though, i know times are hard but surely businesses should be appreciative of the good customers they do have

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Get enough whiskey to put me in bed for the rest of the month, usually I just pass it on. plenty of fancy calendars etc, Its you who pays for all the fancy gifts so not worried if I dont see any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Any business that gives you a calendar as a present doesn't deserve your business. It's an insult to one's intelligence.... free advertising dressed up as a present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Usually have a van full of drink mainly of suppliers and an odd bottle off subies, but nothing so far this year though i know of two places where theres something set aside. It may be petty but if your a good customer and pay up regularly a small token of recognition is only manners.
    Although i know from my own side of things that the list is getting smaller for gifts each year too.
    I have to say i forgot one bottle, a fourth year apprentice who started with me a few months back came in with a bottle of whiskey, i might give him easier jobs next year.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

was wondering too, do ye give your staff a bonus at christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

whelan1 wrote: »
    was wondering too, do ye give your staff a bonus at christmas?
    and
    yeh,definately where its due, i remember getting it when i was training and it was well appreciated, staff is only that one apprentice now. anyone else usually works in when needed, were like a co-op of tradesmen helpin each other out on bigger jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

Last 2 years have got nothing but a calender and pen and notepad. For all the money I spend on meal from them and never get a box of sweets or bottle of whiskey. Next time he comes around looking for money i'll be demanding one of their nice bodywarmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

It was a regular thing at the company I work at. Our suppliers would drop around a few botttles. They'd all be pooled together and a draw made in the canteen. Nothing wrong with that says you. If we had more people than presents, a few extra bottles would be thrown in by the company itself.
    All ended now. We were bought out by a bigger company and such things were banned. A memo to this effect, sent around to all the suppliers. PC gone very wrong.:(

pakalasa wrote: »
    It was a regular thing at the company I work at. Our suppliers would drop around a few botttles. They'd all be pooled together and a draw made in the canteen. Nothing wrong with that says you. If we had more people than presents, a few extra bottles would be thrown in by the company itself.
    All ended now. We were bought out by a bigger company and such things were banned. A memo to this effect, sent around to all the suppliers. PC gone very wrong.:(
    do ye have an xmas party?

whelan1 wrote: »
    do ye have an xmas party?
    More like a meal and drinks afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

im on the double here.

As an employee - The company gives no bonus and i dont expect any either, we got taken out for dinner and a few drinks back last week.

As an employer - i gave a present and a bonus but honest my colleague is truely amazing and does so much more than anyone could ever expect and in the professional game its whats needed to retain and win clients.

So im a giver , not a taker :D

At least you know im not from cavan ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Any business that gives you a calendar as a present doesn't deserve your business. It's an insult to one's intelligence.... free advertising dressed up as a present.

Umm ...I quite value my "free" calendars and there are always placed in different areas.

Not too many will see them , and I was astonished when my feed merchant told me what they were costing to print

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

id give the lads working for me, a bonus, and the usual milk man, bin man etc a bottle.

never get any thing off any of the merchants or such, dont really mind either.
    if i was ever getting gifts, xmas or otherwise, id be of the thinking that im paying them to much. a good price through out the year is enough.

calanders are very handy around the yard for writing up information,
    but why do some bother sending out these yokes that dont have an inch of room to write on, or have no functional value, straight to the bin with them (recycling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

pakalasa wrote: »

Ah now! thats a load of rubbish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

These days calenders and stationary etc. from the local Co-Op - certainly no bottles of whiskey!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Got a Bottle a brandy from our mart, nice touch. Funny story from day job, got a small diary with a slip from a subbie, "merry cmas from all at xxx" (money now due from site x)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Got 2 bottles of whiskey one from meal supplier another from general merchant Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

There was a Christmas draw at work, everyone got a prize. Best of all was the prizes themselves I think the worst prize won was a Nintendo 3ds, the majority were Apple Ipads,Laptops and LED TVs :D

Grecco wrote: »
    There was a Christmas draw at work, everyone got a prize. Best of all was the prizes themselves I think the worst prize won was a Nintendo 3ds, the majority were Apple Ipads,Laptops and LED TVs :D
    jazus, who do you work for, Martin Cahill....

Grecco wrote: »
    have they any vaccancies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

spammer wrote:
    <spam snipped>
    I was wondering why a Christmas thread was revived this time of year. Send an email to dairygold so that they can send a hamper to all their customers. All I ever got off them in all my years trading with them was a ticket to the Dublin horse show every year while i was milking cows. When I ceased milking cows and kept buying stuff off them the complementary ticket stopped coming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement