Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Bank Transfers

• 22-12-2011 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭

Anybody know best place to transfer small amounts of money abroad I'm sending deposits to Poland for EUro 2012 accom.... Ulster bank charged me €12.60 i think and then got charged €12.49 on the polish side to put €40 in an account! Ridiculous! Any time I look up online for any bank or western union etc. I can't see rates anywhere!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Have you online Banking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

yeah I'm with ulsterbank though and I can't do any international transfers online yet... It says it's on the way but i've another deposit to pay by january 15th... so don't think I can wait. It will charge the same fees for online banking transfers as in over the counter ones from what I gather anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Anybody know best place to transfer small amounts of money abroad I'm sending deposits to Poland for EUro 2012 accom.... Ulster bank charged me €12.60 i think and then got charged €12.49 on the polish side to put €40 in an account! Ridiculous! Any time I look up online for any bank or western union etc. I can't see rates anywhere!

Are you requesting the fund to be sent as urgent?

Standard transfer (done over 3 days) should only cost 51c.

A for th other banks charges, your not going to be able to avoid those.

yeah I'm with ulsterbank though and I can't do any international transfers online yet... It says it's on the way but i've another deposit to pay by january 15th... so don't think I can wait. It will charge the same fees for online banking transfers as in over the counter ones from what I gather anyway....

No, when it's up and running the charges will be less if not free on certain types of payments.

The questions is when..... It's already 6 months over due it's official launch.

No, when it's up and running the charges will be less if not free on certain types of payments.

The questions is when..... It's already 6 months over due it's official launch.

Ah right cheers, I don't know I got my brother to do the transfer for me so I'll find out of him... 51 cent seems a lot more reasonable.. although 12.49 at the other end is still steep! I wonder did he do the transfer as an urgent one and then the other bank charged more too? i'll ask him this evening!

• Advertisement

Ah right cheers, I don't know I got my brother to do the transfer for me so I'll find out of him... 51 cent seems a lot more reasonable.. although 12.49 at the other end is still steep! I wonder did he do the transfer as an urgent one and then the other bank charged more too? i'll ask him this evening!

On the form you filled in there is a box asking the transfer date. You could have left it blank and when asked the/he could have said today's date. If you write in "3 day transfer" you would have been charged less however it would have taken longer to get there.

It could also explain the charge the other end.

Your brother should have a carbon copy of the form, this would have been given back to him as the receipt. Also in the next few days you'll get a letter confirming the transfer so you can see it on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

OP, I don't think you'll find a (much) cheaper way of doing this.

Transfers online are usually free within the Eurozone.

Poland isn't in the Eurozone so you will have to pay for an International Transfer. Usually between €12 - €16 for a small amount, rising as the amount increases.

Afaik, all banks are the same on this but I could stand corrected.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

aw wrote: »
    OP, I don't think you'll find a (much) cheaper way of doing this.

Well, perhaps not by international transfer at a bank. Are there any other methods of payment that would be accepted? Credit card? Paypal or similar electronic payment such as Skrill (used to be branded Moneybookers)
    aw wrote: »
    Transfers online are usually free within the Eurozone.

Well, they are not quite free, cross-border SEPA payments cannot be more than the cost of domestic transfer (or something like that, I'm not sure how UB's 51c charge fits with that :confused:)

Ulster Bank charge 51 cent for a SEPA Euro transfer, when they go online with it next year, it will be 38 cent (as electronic payments are charged at 38c and paper payments done at the branch will still be 51c)

For an international payment, I think it is €12.70 for a standard 2-4 days transfer and €24.50 for a CHAPS/same day.

unclebill98, the OP's bro did a STANDARD transfer as indicated by the €12.70 charge (see above). There are also no carbon copy forms any more (at least for EURO payments). Having done 3 EURO transfers in the last few weeks, they have changed their procedures in-branch and print out a copy of the transfer instead.

macplaxton wrote: »
    Well, perhaps not by international transfer at a bank. Are there any other methods of payment that would be accepted? Credit card? Paypal or similar electronic payment such as Skrill (used to be branded Moneybookers)

Well, they are not quite free, cross-border SEPA payments cannot be more than the cost of domestic transfer (or something like that, I'm not sure how UB's 51c charge fits with that :confused:)

Ulster Bank charge 51 cent for a SEPA Euro transfer, when they go online with it next year, it will be 38 cent (as electronic payments are charged at 38c and paper payments done at the branch will still be 51c)

For an international payment, I think it is €12.70 for a standard 2-4 days transfer and €24.50 for a CHAPS/same day.

unclebill98, the OP's bro did a STANDARD transfer as indicated by the €12.70 charge (see above). There are also no carbon copy forms any more (at least for EURO payments). Having done 3 EURO transfers in the last few weeks, they have changed their procedures in-branch and print out a copy of the transfer instead.

Just deposited more in a polish bank... If not urgent it's 0.51 cent... for 2-4 business days and €24.50 for urgent... so my brother must have done an urgent one! Still not sure how much will actually enter their account, i sent €45.

Advertisement