Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy 10 weeks and no vaccinations

• 22-12-2011 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi I got a new puppy yesterday and I've been researching the vaccinations. He doesn't have any received yet and I am wondering is it too late to begin? It says they normally begin at 6/8 weeks and finished by 14 ? Any help please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

It's never too late to begin.

Ring your vet for an appointment now as they'll be closed for Xmas soon and you need to get these vaccinations started immediately pending a health check by the vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What did the breeder say and why wasnt the pup vaccinated already? This would really concern me to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I would be straight on the road to the vets!! A quick call to them first. There is no time like the present, and its never too late to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

andreac wrote: »
    What did the breeder say and why wasnt the pup vaccinated already? This would really concern me to be honest.
    The mother had the litter unexpectedly, were giving them away free. Will ring the vets later I used to use the after hours one. New problem-puppy won't stop humping me! Whoops!
    Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

ConTheCat wrote: »
    The mother had the litter unexpectedly, were giving them away free. Will ring the vets later I used to use the after hours one. New problem-puppy won't stop humping me! Whoops!
    Thanks guys

Doesnt matter that they were unexpected, they have had them for 10 weeks, they should have at least vaccinated and wormed them, it doesnt cost much or take that much effort to do so. People amaze me, they really do!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

What breed of dog is the pup?
    How old is the pup now?

All joking aside you need to ring the vets and book in for the vaccinations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

andreac wrote: »
    Doesnt matter that they were unexpected, they have had them for 10 weeks, they should have at least vaccinated and wormed them, it doesnt cost much or take that much effort to do so. People amaze me, they really do!!! :mad:

Agree but the fact they didn't have their dog spayed says to me they're hardly going to pay to get puppies vaccinated!! When my in-laws dog had an 'accidental' litter (just as I had finally convinced them to get her spayed), it cost me (as opposed to them!) just over 200 euro to get them their first set of vacc's and wormed etc, there were six of them, so honestly can't imagine people having accidental litters being arsed to get wormed and vacc'ed if there's a few pups in the litter. People amaze (and frequently disappoint) me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

garkane wrote: »
    What breed of dog is the pup?
    How old is the pup now?

All joking aside you need to ring the vets and book in for the vaccinations!

Hes a cross between a purebred cavillier and a sheepdog (they think, dog has been back since pups were born) Right I must get on this straight away and find the number. They are 10 weeks at some stage in past 7 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Def get them done asap because you can't take the dog out until 2 weeks after the 2nd vaccination - you'll need to get do as much socialization as possible to avoid fear issues etc.
    The Imprinting Period: First 3 Months of Age
    Like children, puppies have a small window of time during brain development when they are most impressionable. This is called the imprinting, or critical learning period. For puppies, the imprinting period is during the first 14 weeks of life. Puppies learn more during this time than they can learn in a life time. Therefore, the quality and quantity of what they experience will have a huge impact on their future personalities and determine the formation of many of their “good” or “bad” behavior tendencies. In fact, such vast change in development happens with each day that passes, the Imprinting Period is further sub-divided into multiple distinct puppy-stages.]
    http://www.wonder-puppy.com/puppy-parents/puppy-development-stages

Advertisement