Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much are my downlighters costing me to run?

Options
  • 22-12-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

8 x 50w GU10's - how can I calculate how much this costs me per hour to have switched on?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

8 x 50 = 400w so say 500w. Electricity is sold by the killo watt hour, eg 1000w for 1 hour = 1 unit.

Based on your 500w load, you'll use a unit every 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

8 x 50 = 400w so say 500w. Electricity is sold by the killo watt hour, eg 1000w for 1 hour = 1 unit.

Based on your 500w load, you'll use a unit every 2 hours.

Thanks

So say Electric Ireland charge of 15.59cent per kw/h I'm paying 15.59 cent plus vat per 2 hours? Have I that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

vicwatson wrote: »
    Thanks

So say Electric Ireland charge of 15.59cent per kw/h I'm paying 15.59 cent plus vat per 2 hours? Have I that right?

Exactly!

I did round up to simplify the calcs, in theory your looking at

1000/400 = 2.5 hours per unit. So you get 2.5 hours for 16 cents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

LEDS are the only way to go,thats all I will say.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

paddy147 wrote: »

^^^^^^^^^ What he said

Instead of using 400w it would be more like 24w..No brainer really;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Not always.

For example I have a room that has a single 20W halogen. This light is on for about 5 minutes a day (at a daily ESB cost €0.0002666667).

Therefore if I replaced it with an LED lamp I may not make a net saving within my lifetime!

I estimate that it will cost me about €2 in energy costs to use this light at this rate for 20 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

2011 wrote: »
    Not always.

For example I have a room that has a single 20W halogen. This light is on for about 5 minutes a day (at a daily ESB cost €0.0002666667).

Therefore if I replaced it with an LED lamp I may not make a net saving within my lifetime!

I estimate that it will cost me about €2 in energy costs to use this light at this rate for 20 years.

Eh,my post was posted in direct relation to what the OP posted and also staying on topic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Eh,my post was posted in direct relation to what the OP posted and also staying on topic.
    Not my tiny under stairs bathroom then??

:D:D

Advertisement