Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism a positive belief, because 'lack of belief' is not a definition...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Would you care to explain what part of my explanation is arbitrary or wrong exactly?

The arbitrary way you just changed and interpreted the original statements so they happen to say exactly what you want them to say.

For instance you take the statement "I don't believe OJ killed his wife" and for some reason known only to your good self rewrite it with the additional words "the claim that" - and then make up something about "he could have" and evidence.

Bizarre.

then again I'm quite pissed at the moment - but I sincerely believe that if it makes no sense to me in my drunken state, it'll make less sense when I'm sober tomorrow.

;) (We'll miss ya hitch!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Is this a real life argument or an internet one?

If it's on the internet, ask him what his belief about the colour of your jumper is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I assume you mean lack of in respect to his intelligence?
    Nah, he tried to show off and failed. A bad sign in somebody who wishes to show off their intelligence :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Thomas Eshuis

pH wrote: »
    The arbitrary way you just changed and interpreted the original statements so they happen to say exactly what you want them to say.

For instance you take the statement "I don't believe OJ killed his wife" and for some reason known only to your good self rewrite it with the additional words "the claim that" - and then make up something about "he could have" and evidence.

Bizarre.

then again I'm quite pissed at the moment - but I sincerely believe that if it makes no sense to me in my drunken state, it'll make less sense when I'm sober tomorrow.

;) (We'll miss ya hitch!)

OJ killed his wife is a statement or claim.<
    Someone who does not believe OJ killed his wife, does not believe the claim that he did.
    It´s not arbitrary it´s and perfectly rational explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Thomas Eshuis

Undergod wrote: »
    Is this a real life argument or an internet one?

If it's on the internet, ask him what his belief about the colour of your jumper is.

Good point, but I've given up at this point, since he refuses to see the flaw in his deconstructivist reasoning
    I already put such definitions to him as darkness and vegetarian to which he gave flawed and ambivalent anwsers. After which he said he "did not want to jump through any more hoops for me".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

"La la la I'm not listening."

It's a pretty unassailable position, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

what's his beliefs on not jumping through hoops

Advertisement