Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windscreen Repair Charge

Options
  • 22-12-2011 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

About 2 years ago a crowd called Glasweld Ireland had a mobile windscreen repair setup in the carpark at Tesco in Clonmel. I had a small chip in my windscreen, called in & asked the technician what the arrangement was. He checked the insurance disc on my windscreen (Quinn Direct) & he said the insurance company would cover it, no money was required. So I said go ahead. Over a year later I got a demand from Glasweld for payment because Quinn would not cover the cost. I rejected the demand on the grounds their technician told me the insurance company would cover it. They repeated the demand, which I rejected again. A few days ago a demand from a crowd called Intrum Justitia (debt collectors) arrived indicating they were pursuing collection of the amount. I am inclined to see them in court, even though it's not for a lot of money, as I really object to chancers like this. Glasweld's technician should have been more professional & this is Glasweld's responsibility. I would caution anyone who has dealings with them.
    Anyone else had such experiences & how did you deal with it? Thanks for any helpful comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How can Glasweld have gotten it so wrong? As far as I know all of these guys have to get pre-clearance from the insurance companies. Looking at the disc almost never cuts the mustard since you can't tell from the disc if the cover is 3rd party only or a higher level of cover which would include windscreen cover.

I had a break-in one Paddys weekend over four years ago (2007 at the latest based on the car I was then driving) and even though it was a Saturday of a bank holiday weekend, the autoglass guy phoned Axa and spoke to an official who was on duty specifically to authorise that type of claim. Only when he got an authorization code from Axa would he replace the glass which was fine by me.

Can't see how the Glasweld guy two years ago could look at the disc and decide that he'd get paid without checking with Quinn first for authorization.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GeorgeH

Thanks for that 'coylemj'
    Good point. Seems they would like me (& probably many others!) to finance their own bumbling incompetence! People should be made aware of operators like this & I certainly want to do my part to flag this type of practice! Please let your friends know!

Believe it or not, I have found the original repair authorisation with all the details (13/11/2009), signed by Glasweld Ireland's technician. There is a specific statement & tickbox which says "If customer's insurance company does not cover windscreen, customer agrees to pay for repair" and guess what, the technician did not tick the box - so - see you in court Glasweld Ireland & Intrum Justitia!! Now, let me see, travel & costs (I'm self employed) so say travel to Clonmel or Tralee, & maybe10 hours of my time, €700 minimum costs should do. Looking forward to it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Be very careful.

If you have information in your possession that could have prevented a court case going ahead but fail to produce it until "the day", the judge may take a dim view of you wasting court time and award you nothing.

If on the other hand you send Intrum Justitia a copy of the document(s) and warn them that if they proceed you will be seeking costs against them and they proceed, the judge may be more sympathetic.

Thank you for that 'mathepac', I take your point. I just wonder how many other unfortunates out there will take fright from these intimidating demands & simply cough up! The technician was there all day, & if he did it to me, how many others? I think it's also a valid question if this was an intentional ploy on the part of Glasweld Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

It's hard to know where all these things start and end - the original service provider, some over-enthusiastic solicitor or accountant raking over the coals of a business in trouble or the debt collectors themselves.

For sure there are lots of honest hard-working people who take fright at threatening letters from outfits with Latin-sounding names and who pay up immediately rather than risk the "disgrace" of court. I believe that's part and parcel of the bully-boy tactics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

GeorgeH wrote: »
    About 2 years ago a crowd called Glasweld Ireland had a mobile windscreen repair setup in the carpark at Tesco in Clonmel. I had a small chip in my windscreen, called in & asked the technician what the arrangement was. He checked the insurance disc on my windscreen (Quinn Direct) & he said the insurance company would cover it, no money was required. So I said go ahead. Over a year later I got a demand from Glasweld for payment because Quinn would not cover the cost. I rejected the demand on the grounds their technician told me the insurance company would cover it. They repeated the demand, which I rejected again. A few days ago a demand from a crowd called Intrum Justitia (debt collectors) arrived indicating they were pursuing collection of the amount. I am inclined to see them in court, even though it's not for a lot of money, as I really object to chancers like this. Glasweld's technician should have been more professional & this is Glasweld's responsibility. I would caution anyone who has dealings with them.
    Anyone else had such experiences & how did you deal with it? Thanks for any helpful comments.
    A friend of mine had a similar experience with Glasweld/Quinn. He is not on boards and does not want his ID given and so had to check before writing this. It happened in Tesco Clonmel in June 2009

He rang Quinn before the work was done and they said -wrongly as it turned out -he was covered. I think what happened is the quinn rep asumed it was the Quinn glass company that were doing it

When he go the demand from Glasweld He asked Glasweld to produce the letter in which Quinn said he was not covered. All they could say was his name was not on a list of those covered issued by Quinn

He made a data protection request to Quinn and got it in writing that their rep had said he was covered. They listened back to the recording of when he enquired. Quinn then said they would have their windscreen people issue him with a claim and they sent him a chequee for 80 euro for Glasweld.

He then billed Glasweld for 60 euro for the time spent chasing it up on foot of their demand which they could not substantiate. He told glasweld when they paid his bill for 60 euro he would pay them the 80 euro. They ignored several requests and he phoned and told them he was going to the media. A manager from Glasweld rang and said they had made an error and were not expecting any payment. he asked them to put that in writing. They did

I do not say this is right or wrong and i am not advising you to do this OP

But it is what happened.

I think Glasweld are chancers gambling people will pay. The box that says if the insurance company do not pay the customer will is not ticked in my friends case either.

I sent an email to Glasweld Ireland yesterday indicating my intention to defend & I phoned this crowd Intrum Justitia this morning to same effect. Interestingly enough no reply at all so far from Glasweld Ireland & this other bunch Intrum Justitia seemed to take a very benign stance when I indicated my intent to defend, with supporting documentation & demanded court sitting details (they didn't even request a copy!) Their demand letter was in fact quite threatening & I told them I didn't take kindly to it. So all they said is that they would revert to Glasweld Ireland for guidance on what to do. I seems to me that a large number of these demands may have gone out & they are taking a chance to see how many people will simply fold & cough up. Maybe I can get a note up on my blog / FB / Twitter / LinkedIn / etc outlining the situation. Fully appreciate the need to avoid defamation so only facts & polite suppositions. A few years ago my brother & self actually brought a successful case (much to their chagrin & shock) against a major highstreet UK consumer electrical / electronic goods chain (FTSE100) along similar lines. That should rank well on Google for them! & maybe a few others who might have fallen victim might benefit if they happen to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Similar thing happened to me with aviva. Turns out they won't pay glasweld directly. I had to pay and then claim it back.

GeorgeH wrote: »
    . I seems to me that a large number of these demands may have gone out & they are taking a chance to see how many people will simply fold & cough up.
    agree with that

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Autoglass tried a similar thing with me a few years ago.

Fixed a chip on the windscreen.
    Week later the chip was back and they sent a guy in a van to re-do the repair as I was told on the phone.

Came out of a college class and gave him the keys and he said he would ring again when done. (Car was parked on campus)

So he ran and I signed his form and he left.
    Next day I get a call demanding payment for a windscreen replacement.

Turned out that the guy either messed up or decided it couldnt be fixed so replaced it. On the form I signed he marked it as a warranty job and no payment due.

I informed them on the phone of what my reciept said and they told me they would be in touch again soon. Never did get back on touch...

I think its a similar situation, someones made a mistake and they are chancing their arm to try recoup the money.

castie wrote: »
    Autoglass tried a similar thing with me a few years ago.

Fixed a chip on the windscreen.
    Week later the chip was back and they sent a guy in a van to re-do the repair as I was told on the phone.

Came out of a college class and gave him the keys and he said he would ring again when done. (Car was parked on campus)

So he ran and I signed his form and he left.
    Next day I get a call demanding payment for a windscreen replacement.

Turned out that the guy either messed up or decided it couldnt be fixed so replaced it. On the form I signed he marked it as a warranty job and no payment due.

I informed them on the phone of what my reciept said and they told me they would be in touch again soon. Never did get back on touch...

I think its a similar situation, someones made a mistake and they are chancing their arm to try recoup the money.
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Intrum Justitia...Don't worry about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 martym1234

i got the same thing done to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

martym1234 wrote: »
    i got the same thing done to me but as it turned out they did a repair on my screen and chared my insurance for a replacement, i looked into the company and found out that the owners are crooks one had a construction comp which went bang owing over 250,000 and is now a wanted man in tralee.they used to have 13 franchisees but noe have only 3 two brothers and one bro in law, all the others left being owed money two of the guys were called to meetings and while they were at this meeting their vans were stolen and their businesses taken from them , all because they were making noise about not getting paid in time. i spoke to a former employee and he was very helpful, glasweld are being looked at by the insurance fereration and also the ipb. they are gangsters and i would advise anyone not to pay them as they will not be in business much longer.
    my insurance comp did not pay them and no insurance comp will deal with them. call ur insurance comp and see what they say about glasweld or call this guy 0871714310 martin is his name he is sound and a former staff mamber

Hmmm, username Martym1234 badmouthing a company and recommending a former employee of that same company who is also called Martin....

Apart from the obvious self promotion, I would have said that your post is defamatory and you could get yourself into trouble there. I'd suggest you delete that last post or expect a letter from Glasweld's solicitors.

please do send i letter as i would love to get all the other franchisees involved , they would love a chance to come to court and tell their stories about glasweld,
    i was one of the guys who got screwed over by glasweld and i have more than enough things i would love to say and play in court so please please do. but make sure you mean it thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

martym1234 wrote: »
    please do send i letter as i would love to get all the other franchisees involved , they would love a chance to come to court and tell their stories about glasweld,
    i was one of the guys who got screwed over by glasweld and i have more than enough things i would love to say and play in court so please please do. but make sure you mean it thanks

Eh? I'm just informing you that your post is potentially defamatory.

If you have an issue with Glasweld, you would be better served pursuing it through the proper channels rather than posting your grievances on a public forum.

in a court you get lots of law but no justice, been there done that so if anyone asks i will tell the truth about them. i have first had experience of their acts and have 5 more former contractors of theirs who would like a chance to get to court , we are waiting and maybe soon we will get the chance. then all the insurance companies will see and hear what they are really like ,
    but thanks, are you a solicitor you seem to know alot .
    ps the guy i said to talk to knows all and wants nothing to do with them, his brorher has video of director "having a meeting with his office manager after a well known race meeting dowm the bank of a river, he showed it to us and it makes great viewing" , his wife knows but pretends not to, he would love a chance to show this in court we want him to put it on u tube, that he might still do,
    so there u go that company are conmen and that just the tip of the ice berg

hi people just to let ye know that it seems glasweld have gone into liquidation, so forget about any bills also i spoke to a woman who got a repair done and glasweld claimed for a replacement she has all the paperwork to prove this and was not very happy she informed her insurance comp and they told her that they are going after glasweld as this was not the first time it happened, too late now though as they are gone

Advertisement