Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops open Christmas day?

Options
  • 22-12-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Does anyone know which shops are open Christmas day?

I know the Londis on the Tuam Road is, but it would be handy to have a list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

This year, like every other year, I am buying everything I need in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I think we should be able to cope with shops closing for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

the petrol station on the headford road beside dunnes was open last year!
    also Tom Hogans was too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

It's one day.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If I was opening Christmas Day I'd advertise it to **** because there's a lot of business to be made that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Big dirty rotten atheist that I am, there is not a chance in hell that I would open my shop or work somewhere on Christmas Day. Or even set foot in a shop that day. I love the fact that there is an entire day in the year when everyone is basically the same regardless of how much they have. I relish the thought of not needing to have money in my pocket for a whole 24 hours. Your wallet and what is in it is essentially useless to you. Even RTÉ refuses to broadcast ads on Christmas Day because it is just not a day for money.

You can't manage one day? Kinda reminds me of the traditional Holy Thursday rush for the offie.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I imagine that you're making this list to be helpful rather than anything else. So the "You can't manage one day?" thing isn't necessarily aimed at you, OP. Happy Christmas btw!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

einshteen wrote: »
    Does anyone know which shops are open Christmas day?

I know the Londis on the Tuam Road is, but it would be handy to have a list.

I'd understand if you posted this question on the 25th but it's only just the 23rd now. Could you not just buy what you need in the morning or on the 24th? Problem solved, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

number10a wrote: »
    Big dirty athiest ... I relish the thought of not needing to have money in my pocket for a whole 24 hours. Your wallet and what is in it is essentially useless to you.

Obviously you won't be botherd by the people who work in churches.

But I hope you don't get sick and need assistance from a doctor or ambulance.

And that your car doesn't break down.

And that your grannie isn't in a nursing home.

And that you refuse, on principle, to watch TV (because people have to work to keep it going).

And that you don't call the guards if burglars show up at your house and help themselves.

And that if it's icy, you don't mind if the roads aren't salted.

Etc.

ffs lads, the OP is trying to be helpful, there WILL be people who find themselves needing stuff, at very least to deal with family emergencies etc. Give it a rest.

The Texaco on the docks has been open the last couple of Christmases, I'd expect the same thing this year.

Family emergencies, yes.

Running out of bread, no.

Seriously, just stock up like everybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Don't know about you guys but I generally don't expect family emergencies and when they are going happen so that's reason enough to have a thread started early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The Sunday Times (maybe other papers ?) is out on the day itself. Running out of smokes is pretty common. Bread and milk often get forgotten about in the Christmas shopping rush. So heres a thanks to the newsagents that open on Christmas Day morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

JustMary wrote: »
    Obviously you won't be botherd by the people who work in churches.

But I hope you don't get sick and need assistance from a doctor or ambulance.

And that your car doesn't break down.

And that your grannie isn't in a nursing home.

And that you refuse, on principle, to watch TV (because people have to work to keep it going).

And that you don't call the guards if burglars show up at your house and help themselves.

And that if it's icy, you don't mind if the roads aren't salted.

Did I mention anything about the necessary services like those you have mentioned?? (Well, not that TV is a necessary service.) No, I didn't. Shops are what is being talked about.

And as you will notice in the "edit" at the end of my post, I did realise that the OP was being helpful rather than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Flemmings on Tuam road advertised as being open... Good idea on list being made early OP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Any Chemists open that anyone knows of? Are Chemists even open tomorrow St. Stephen's Day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I posted a reply in here to summarise the 5 shops that were open yesterday, and the post has vanished .......

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nebra

- don't suppose that would be Santa pulling the rug out from those trying to get in on his day ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I posted a reply in here to summarise the 5 shops that were open yesterday, and the post has vanished .......
    I can see all posts, deleted or not, and you have only 2 posts in this thread.

Advertisement