Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to switch to provider with better coverage

Options
  • 22-12-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

I had a work mobile in my previous job, on the vodafone network. Never had any problem with coverage, but the new job didn't come with a phone, so I switched to meteor (who were by far the cheapest for my type of usage).

Trouble is, the signal drops whenever I go into a shop. I need to be contactable most of the time, so I find that I am constantly watching the signal bars to make sure I'm not out of coverage, which is an almighty pain. It also means I'm constantly ringing people back because of missed calls, which is expensive. It's driving me mad at this stage.

I went into the meteor shop in the pavilions in Swords to see if they could help, and they blamed it on the fact that there are 'lots of steel beams' in shop roofs, and so I can't expect to get coverage in large buildings. They said that they had to get a signal booster to get the phones to work inside their own shop! (reminds me of phones in the nineties)

This never happened with vodafone, but I can't afford to go back to them as I spend about 20 mins nattering on the phone every day, usually in the morning, and send 20-30 texts, none of the calls/txts to vodafone numbers. I've looked into going back and it would cost a fortune.

Tesco mobile seem to have some really good packages which would cover my usage very well and cheaply, but I am wondering if I am likely to have the same coverage issues with them.

I have heard that their coverage is effectively O2 coverage (which seems to be fine). Anyone know if this is correct, or have any experience of Tesco coverage in shops? :)

Thanks in advance for advice.

Glinda.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

From the perspective of network coverage, Tesco is O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

Thanks - thought that might be the case from my amateur googling efforts, but was afraid I'd misunderstood!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sometimes turning off 3g and going GSM only makes the coverage a lot better.

Thanks Spongebob - don't know what gsm is: do I just disable 3G when I'm out and about?
    Will definitely give this a try :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

GSM is the system your phone provider uses to connect you to their system. All mobiles have been using GSM since the nineties. £G is the system that enables you phone to access the internet and use data. You can turn 3G on & off in the Settings on your phone.

• Advertisement

GSM is the system your phone provider uses to connect you to their system. All mobiles have been using GSM since the nineties. £G is the system that enables you phone to access the internet and use data. You can turn 3G on & off in the Settings on your phone.

Ok, will turn off 3G for a few days and see how I get on: thanks Kristopherus.

Advertisement