Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Wind Farm Doonbeg

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I fixed the link in your original post Jim and deleted the second post.

Any opinion you want to express yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Clareman wrote: »
    I fixed the link in your original post Jim and deleted the second post.

Any opinion you want to express yourself?

Yes, indeed I do - I have great sympathy for these people as I am in exactly the same position myself and I wouldn't wish this kind of nightmare on anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Yes, indeed I do - I have great sympathy for these people as I am in exactly the same position myself and I wouldn't wish this kind of nightmare on anyone!
    Not trying to be smart Jim but I wonder if you have a suggestion regarding an alternative means of electricity generation that will accommodate both the need and the public convenience? At the end of the day the council don't put these things up to annoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I have friends living over there and they are opposed to it as well.

Sure, when you want to live the quaint seaside life, it might be visually annoying.
    But believe me, as a former big city dweller, I know you get used to everything as long as you can keep your comfort.

If Ireland wants to survive the upcoming energy crisis than she has to find out more alternative energy sources.
    The west coast is the best place to catch the wind for energy and get some independence from oil. But then Doonbeg is an exception, innit? With the golf course and the holiday homes and such...

I remember that once every 'citizen concern group' was opposed to mobile phone masts in their backyards, but complained if they had no reception.
    Who's complaining now?

Gosh, can you ever decide what you want? Apart from keeping your cake and eating it, or however the saying goes?

• Advertisement

Precisely! Let's get some perspective here. People want mobile phone coverage so long as the mast isn't near their home. They want gas so long as the work doesn't interfere with the locality. They want electricity but they're against fossil fuel polluting the air. They support clean energy but they're against it's unsightly presence and they want their rubbish disposed of so long as the landfill isn't in their area, I wonder how many of them even recycle?

They want the mast, generators and rubbish tips to be the problems of towns and cities.

I feel for the people in the article but I'm a firm believer in if you want to be in opposition to something that's needed then suggest an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Precisely! Let's get some perspective here. People want mobile phone coverage so long as the mast isn't near their home. They want gas so long as the work doesn't interfere with the locality. They want electricity but they're against fossil fuel polluting the air. They support clean energy but they're against it's unsightly presence and they want their rubbish disposed of so long as the landfill isn't in their area, I wonder how many of them even recycle?

They want the mast, generators and rubbish tips to be the problems of towns and cities.

I feel for the people in the article but I'm a firm believer in if you want to be in opposition to something that's needed then suggest an alternative.

+1

Of all the things to complain about, windfarms are way down the list. People always say things about birds, shadows, humming noises, etc. but if you google a bit and find places where they have windfarms in or near communities you will find 99% of the people there are fine with it and there are no issues.

We should be supporting clean energy, not trying to come up with reasons to keep it from being built near us because we are worried about the aesthetics of the windmills on our view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

A classic case of NIMBY - Not In My Backyard. I have to agree that wind turbines are unsightly, but what are we to do if we need the energy.

Clareboy wrote: »
    A classic case of NIMBY - Not In My Backyard. I have to agree that wind turbines are unsightly, but what are we to do if we need the energy.

"We" don't need it if the gov't subsidise building insulation instead of wasting money on wind turbines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

"We" don't need it if the gov't subsidise building insulation instead of wasting money on wind turbines!

insulation doesn't produce electricity;)

• Advertisement

darokane wrote: »

It's putting the cart before the horse, wasting money on wind turbines when it would be far better to spend the money on building insulation, before even thinking about generating electricity which may not be needed in the first place!

It's putting the cart before the horse, wasting money on wind turbines when it would be far better to spend the money on building insulation, before even thinking about generating electricity which may not be needed in the first place!
    I wasn't aware insulation powered heaters, lighting, household appliances and entertainment equipment.

I must look into that.

Come on lad! A small bit of cop on in fairness!!!

I wasn't aware insulation powered heaters, lighting, household appliances and entertainment equipment.

I must look into that.

Come on lad! A small bit of cop on in fairness!!!

In fairness - I could say the same thing to you - my friend!

In fairness - I could say the same thing to you - my friend!
    Without any intelligent refute or logical argument I can't see how you can. It's clear you had no debate from the start as is evident by your OP and subsequent replies, and now that's been pointed out you're acting childish.

You were owned on this thread 'my friend'. If you care to point out where the cop on in my argument is needed you might yet keep some dignity. I won't hold my breath however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Actually there is a government programme right now that subsides insulation installation. I know of a few people around Clare who have gotten it done in the past few months. That option is out there and the government are promoting it.

What people don't realise is that the other option is to force people to cut their electric intake, and the way they do that is by raising taxes on electricity, meaning another price hike.

The reality is if people continue to fight the wind farms and proposed wave farms EU and Irish legislation will not allow for more coal burning plants, therefore unless some new modern green energy installations are built, EVERYONE is going to suffer as they will raise prices on electricity again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

But they do... There are grants available for home insulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

darokane wrote: »

In fairness that would also mean educating small minded people in energy saving, cop on, like it or not, wind farms are the way forward

But they do... There are grants available for home insulation.

Yes - but what I'm saying is, instead of wasting money on inefficient turbines, the money would be much better spent on increasing the amount spent on insulation, so helping poor old pensioners like me who can't afford it!

Without any intelligent refute or logical argument I can't see how you can. It's clear you had no debate from the start as is evident by your OP and subsequent replies, and now that's been pointed out you're acting childish.

You were owned on this thread 'my friend'. If you care to point out where the cop on in my argument is needed you might yet keep some dignity. I won't hold my breath however.

Excuse me - I do still have my dignity, thank you very much!

I'm very sorry you appear not to be able (or want) to understand my argument. So, to avoid this debate becoming too personal, I suggest we declare a truce and respectfully beg to differ. Thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

I'm very sorry you appear not to be able (or want) to understand my argument. So, to avoid this debate becoming too personal, I suggest we declare a truce and respectfully beg to differ. Thank you very much.

What is your argument exactly??
    The insulation argument has been well and truely squashed as there are subsidies for insulation in homes.

• Advertisement

Oh for gods sake this is just getting pathetic. You made NO argument to understand!!! I'm not the only one to suggest that. And it's not getting personal you're just using that excuse to avoid addressing my points. You know you have no argument so please don't accuse me of being obtuse. It's very immature and quite unfair when unlike you I've attempted to explain my position.

You quoted an article and that's it. The Mod even had to ask you if you had an opinion about it yourself since posting a media link and then scarpering is against Boards rules. Then you came out with some nonsense about insulation as if that's going to solve the energy crisis and people corrected you on that too!

You ignored that people suggested the turbines do more than provide heat and you claim they're inefficient but refuse to provide evidence to support that. You can't come on here, make unfounded statements and spit your dummy out when people point it out. All I'm asking you to do is GIVE a logical sensible argument. Then we have something to agree to differ on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I've read the statement on the website of the concerned citizens of Doonbeg:
    http://ruralprotectiongroup.com/index.php/statement/

What I understand it's not only the view of the windturbines which concerns the good people of Doonbeg (though personally I think they have a certain aesthetic, having seen them elsewhere), it's the feared further drop of property prices (which they do anyway), tourists avoiding the place and the young ones building no houses anymore in the area - as if they could afford it anyway, windfarm or not.

Hence, so the argument, Doonbeg will die. :rolleyes:

To put it bluntly and perhaps a tad exaggerated: I imagine that energy prices will sky-rock and will, in the worst case, only be affordable to the very well-off.
    Tourists wouldn't want to stay in cold damp houses with no modern amenities or pay outrageous prices for poxy accommodation. Holiday-homers will think twice before they buy a home they can't afford to maintain. And the young ones go anyway where the jobs are. Otherwise the house beside mom's and dad's remains a dream.

The arguments in above mentioned statement are a bit thin and certainly short-sighted. It's the fear of those who don't want change, who don't want to pay a small price for their own comfort and for a more energy-secure future of their "beloved" country.

If I had the money I would build a wind turbine in my garden and use energy to my hearts content without fearing the bills every other month. And I would see it as a useful garden feature among the apple trees...

Besides, energy is not only for the private users, it's for the industry and for businesses as well. If energy prices increase so will the price of food and other wares we need.

Our society is built on energy consumption. Without affordable and clean energy we are truely screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

Anyone ever wanted to build a mini windmill for their back garden?

Check out my ad on advert.ie

<snip>

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mod Note: Green Mile, stop using the forums to plug your sales on Adverts.ie.
    This is at least the second time you've tried it recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

Mod Note: Green Mile, stop using the forums to plug your sales on Adverts.ie.
    This is at least the second time you've tried it recently.

Oh sorry, I had no idea it was against the rules, apologies, won't happen again

Advertisement