Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC External Bell Ringing - How to Stop it???

Options
  • 22-12-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi All,

Recently got a HKC Quantum 70 installed and last night while watching TV with the Alarm unset, we had a power failure in the area. This triggered the HKC's Alarm external bell and I found there was no way of switching it off. This Alarm goes off for 15 minutes but unfortunately the power came on for a few seconds and then went off triggering the Alarm Bell again and again.

My question is, does anyone know a way of disabling this? BTW - the xternal bell has a 12V DC power going to it so when the power went off the battery rings the bell, but there must be a way of programming this not to happpen???

Thanks in advance!

jgc115 :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Not familiar with the quantum but it sounds like your installer forgot to connect the backup battery in the panel.
    Anyway this should net happen, get the installer back to fix asap

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

Jnealon wrote: »
    Not familiar with the quantum but it sounds like your installer forgot to connect the backup battery in the panel.
    Anyway this should net happen, get the installer back to fix asap

The panel seemed to have battery power as it sent me a text saying "mains fault panel" and as there was no power in the house I assume it was working on the battery backup in the panel? - Is there another connection for the panel battery to the external bell?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

And was the panel still displaying when the external triggered?
    Again if its only in get the installer back. A jnealon said its not installed right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

jgc115 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Recently got a HKC Quantum 70 installed and last night while watching TV with the Alarm unset, we had a power failure in the area. This triggered the HKC's Alarm external bell and I found there was no way of switching it off. This Alarm goes off for 15 minutes but unfortunately the power came on for a few seconds and then went off triggering the Alarm Bell again and again.

My question is, does anyone know a way of disabling this? BTW - the xternal bell has a 12V DC power going to it so when the power went off the battery rings the bell, but there must be a way of programming this not to happpen???

Thanks in advance!

jgc115 :confused:

I would have to assume the installer put in the incorrect back up battery in the external bell if he used a 12V DC power supply. I would get him to check this and make sure he did not use the battery pack supplied with the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

OK! Problem solved - Installer returned and replaced the Wireless/Wired Bell Box with a wired only Bell Box and it solved the problem.:)

Thanks to everyone for their tips and contribution to this issue.

Many thanks,

jgc115 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 samifi

Hi all

I am changing from a HKC812 to a HKC1070.
    Is there any way I can silence the external bell while I complete this work?
    I know I can disconnect at the external bell but it is not really accessible.

Regards

Denis

samifi wrote: »
    Hi all

I am changing from a HKC812 to a HKC1070.
    Is there any way I can silence the external bell while I complete this work?
    I know I can disconnect at the external bell but it is not really accessible.

Regards

Denis

Depending on the external bell you may just have to let it ring out. Some are set to a minimum time of 15 minutes so once it times out it will stay off till you power up the new system. Older bells will ring till the back up battery has run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 samifi

Thanks Altor

I thought I might be able to power the external bell with the battery until i was ready to connect it back.
    Its a HKC alarm and bell.

Regards

Denis

samifi wrote: »
    Thanks Altor

I thought I might be able to power the external bell with the battery until i was ready to connect it back.
    Its a HKC alarm and bell.

Regards

Denis

You can if you have access to the bell or else let the bell ring for the 15-20 minutes, it will turn itself off then.

Advertisement