Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAJOR GRAPHICS PROBLEM!!! NEW COMP

Options
  • 22-12-2011 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

In games Like ABP: Reloaded and TF2 I get problems like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqkSwHR-3D8&feature=youtu.be in the vid you can see the game is unplayable!! this is a new comp, custom built from hardwareversand!! there is no graphics problems outside of gaming, only when gaming!! I bought this PC for gaming, I am so dissapointed and feel so helpless. all drivers have been installed, there is fans installed, I am desperate for help, I am new to PC's so I feel so helpless

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Okay well first you need to calm down, as you sound like you're having a panic attack.

1) They're just video games
    2) It's a brand new machine, so it's a clear warranty issue

Meaning there is no reason to get worked up.

Now if HWVS built the machine, call them first and find out what to do. They will either ask you to ship it back to them (hopefully at their cost) if not ask them if you should try to reseat the hardware first (get their consent before you try this).

Assuming you get consent to try the reseat before a ship-out, reseat the GPU and all the relevant power connectors.

Otherwise just ship it back off.

Again, many new computers will have issues. Better to have it in the 1st week than the 1st month our of warranty. Bought all new components on newegg, only to lovingly put them together and on first bootup hear an awful grinding noise indicating they sent me a DOA hard drive. So they swapped it for another. No big deal. In all I lost about a day because I just went to a local brick and mortar for a second drive to act as my primary. Even if you are asked to only send back the GPU the PC is still usable without the graphics card. Heck in most motherboards they have a fairly capable northbridge GPU built right on that makes for good in a pinch.

what are your full specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mk94

Hi there, sorry about the panicing, anyway my computer uses VGA cable - I have the option of using DVD-I.. could this be a factor ? I bought the PC about 2-3 weeks ago, I just didn't start gaming until recently and now this problem has arised.. I tried cleaning the cable for the GPU because there might of been dust causing it but nothing has happened. I am also quite weary of unscrewing the gaming card as it seems to be screwed into place with one lead connecting to it. I only have this problem when I play games. Here is my full specs:

4GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9

Acer P196HQVBD (DVI) -

AMD Athlon II X3 455 "Boxed" 95W, Sockel AM3

ASRock 880GMH/U3S3, Sockel AM3+, mATX

BitFenix Merc Beta (case)

LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch

Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA

Sapphire HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express

Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's

Super-Flower 550W

Xigmatek Loki SD963 Heatpipe Cooler 92mm

The screen is not the best either.. I am just unsure as to whether it is actually the graphics card or VGA cord being outdated

I am just unsure as to whether it is actually the graphics card or VGA cord being outdated
    mk94 is offline Add Infraction for mk94 Report Post Reply With Quote
    No way in hell is this problem cause by dust. No way is this problem being caused by using a VGA cable. As I have said, it seems your GPU is defective, meaning, it mas manufactured incorrectly, meaning you should either exchange the Graphics Card or claim warranty care on it. Don't overthink this.

Any time you buy a new computer, you should run it through it's paces first.

Your motherboard does have it's own self-sufficient integrated graphics card, meaning if you remove the graphics card it will still function (and play games to a degree). So you should have no problem sending the GPU back to the seller for an exchange and still use your PC while doing so.

Which reminds me to ask: exactly which VGA port are you connected to? You should hopefully be connected to the VGA port located on the GPU, not the Motherboard. If the 6850 has no VGA, use the DVI to VGA adapter it came with, or, connect your monitor to the GPU using a DVI cable. You should have no reason to be connected to the motherboard video output. As in the below picture, you should not really be connected to either of these video ports while you are using the 6850:

MB-880GU3S.3_LG.JPG

And as I said, don't actually try to remove your GPU until you talk to Hardwareversand. You have talked to them about the problem by now I hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

OP, Are you plugging the monitor into the onboard graphics or the Sapphire HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express card?

My screen has a VGA port and a DVI-D port, on the back of my rig there is two DVI ports. I can only connect the VGA port to "one" of the DVI ports and this is only possible VIA this silver connect thingy that fits perfectly into the DVI port and the VGA cable slots into the opposite end of this silver thingy.. I should also point out that the there is no blue port like the one show above, there is however a port just like the one below it but I can't connect to that, the only port I can connect to is similar to the one below the blue one in the picture above, but instead of having the tiny little line to the right where you connect, there is 4 of them one to the left,right one pointing horizontally upwards and one pointing downwards, all in a square form! just like this http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=DVI+Port+Pins&view=detail&id=0504A4BD06EB88417D011400C709D3059E8CC658&first=91&FORM=IDFRIR the 4th DVI pic is below and on top is the 2nd DVI pic( Im talking about the back of my actual PC) BTW!! the DVI-D on the back of my screen is DVI- DUAL LINK IE THE 4TH PIC .. THIS IS THE ONE THAT IM CONNECTING TO AT THE BACK OF PC VIA THE SILVER THINGY THAT ALLOWS THR VGA TO SLOT IN AT END- IT SLOTS INTO THIS http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/98708/98708,1256827923,9/stock-photo-female-dvi-connector-receptacle-39817771.jpg

• Advertisement

silver thingy is not a helpful term. Your monitor is either connected through the GPU or it isn't.

Can you possibly take a picture of the back of your current setup so we can see exactly what you have connected where?

and have you contacted the seller yet?????

http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php theres some pics, as you can see 1st pic is back of monitor and i connect vga from blue slot, 2nd pic back of pc, 3rd pic rotate around and you will see how I can only slot into one section by sticking vga cord into the back of vga-DVI silver adapter, 4th pic is a close up you might need to rotate around so that the white slot is on top, the bottom sloy I cannot connect to.. could this be the problem?? i opened the side of my pc and looked as to where the vga was connecting into and it looked like a little silver box joined on to the gpu, the top of gpu ia green with all chipsets and stuff. i have contacted seller but maybe its just the lead im using or im connecting to wrong slot ?

your link does not lead to any images. you need to actually link to the images.

have you contacted hardwareversand about your problem yet.

try now and yes I have, thanks for your time btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

did u get one of these with ur gpu vga_dvi1.jpg

yep! i have a vga cable going from back of monitor down to back of pc, the other end of vga slots into that and then the item in question slots into a dvi slot, there is another slot below and I cannot do anything with it because I don't have the lead or the item being shown in your pic won't fit.. only when playing games I experience the problems show in the video

so do u have the vga adapter???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I take it you are running the latest version of the AMD drivers? (downloaded from the website and not installed from the CD)

The GPU defiantly looks like its busted. Thankfully the RMA process with hardwareversand is very efficient and takes just about 2 weeks (might be a bit longer due to Christmas)

yes

this is my first gaming pc, I have no clue as to how you take the gpu out if it comes down to that and im not even going to try :LL

ok and have u try,d both dvi ports with the adapter

no because the vga adapter only fits into one of them and I did not get a lead for the other port, look at the last image link i sent and rotate the pic so the white port is on top, thats what im dealing with.. the vga adapter only fits into the white port http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/huhuhv.png/ there we go

my advice is buy a dvi cable the once the shops re-open also did you install the ati drivers for your gpu

Yep latest drivers installed, i was going to do that, do you think that could be causing the problems ? ie not connecting to correct slot ?

• Advertisement

in the device manager under display adapters what does it say

amd radeon hd 6800 series

ok so the drivers are installed ok hmm try a dvi cable thats all i can say for now sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭portumnadaz

mk94 wrote: »
    no because the vga adapter only fits into one of them and I did not get a lead for the other port, look at the last image link i sent and rotate the pic so the white port is on top, thats what im dealing with.. the vga adapter only fits into the white port http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/huhuhv.png/ there we go

Looks like you have 2 graphics cards plugged in there???

Looks like you have 2 graphics cards plugged in there???

618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg
    it is a dual slot card

well we looked at all the obvious stuff, it clearly seems like a defective card. its just gonna have to be swapped no bones about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Gpu looks slightly crooked in the slot....
    Open up the case and straighten it up and make sure its correctly in the slot on the motherboard.

Advertisement