Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making shortbread

Options
  • 22-12-2011 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

I want to make some shortbread over Christmas, but I'm really having a hard time finding shortening anywhere. Just wondering what difference (if any) it would make if I just used butter, in terms of texture and taste.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I have never made shortbread with anything other than butter, and its divine.

What sort of shortening do you normally use ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Isn't shortbread always made with butter, it's meant to be buttery? I went and googled it just to be sure and it says it's traditionally made with butter, sugar and flour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

butter, sugar, flour and corn flour for shortbread.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Are you sure da shins isn't pulling our leg?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

It was a recipe given to me by someone else that had shortening in it, apparently to make it more crumbly. But, whateves. If it's fine without, then I'll do it without. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

When I was starting off baking/cooking in the 70's I was always told that 'shortening' was just 'fat', usually lard at that time, but you could substitute butter or one of the hard margarines, oops, sorry, I meant 'spreads'. For shortbread, butter is your only man. Try a lemon flavoured one, it's just the ticket!

Advertisement