Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring .EPUB to Amazon Kindle

• 22-12-2011 6:49pm

So here's the story - would hope somebody could help me out with this -

For Christmas I bought my mother an eBook that I couldn't get instore until after, Please Look After Mother. It was purchased through easons.com, which gave me an .ACSM file. After some searching through Google, I discovered that the only way to access this file is to download Adobe Digital Edition - (which, side note, was absolutely ridiculous that Easons hadn't stated this anywhere on their site) - which then converted the file into an .EPUB.

Some more searching on Google showed me that to put this on the Kindle was through Calibre, yet when I tried this I was told that I couldn't convert this file because it was covered by DRM.

Is there any way for me to transfer this to her Kindle and to bypass this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Since you have bought this, you should have the right to read it on any platform, try icabbage, not a one click solution though.

It's all quite odd to be honest- I purchased it from easons.com, which gave me a file entitled download.acsm. Not once did it inform me what I was supposed to do with this file, until I had to research it myself, which gave it the .epub file. Unfortunately it seems that .epub's aren't supported by this device, so it needs to be converted to a .mobi, yet because it's protected by DRM I cannot with Calibre.

Honest to God, you'd think this would be so so much easier to do. I really severely doubt I'll be shopping online with Easons any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

It's all quite odd to be honest- I purchased it from easons.com, which gave me a file entitled download.acsm. Not once did it inform me what I was supposed to do with this file, until I had to research it myself, which gave it the .epub file. Unfortunately it seems that .epub's aren't supported by this device, so it needs to be converted to a .mobi, yet because it's protected by DRM I cannot with Calibre.

Honest to God, you'd think this would be so so much easier to do. I really severely doubt I'll be shopping online with Easons any time soon.

Have a look here, might help.

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Since you have bought this, you should have the right to read it on any platform, try icabbage, not a one click solution though.

If I could give you a massive hug, I would. It really worked!

For anyone else also with this problem, follow the steps in this link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My dad was looking for a book for his new kindle and I grabbed it on Easons website. I used these python scripts to 'fix' the file, worked perfectly! Thanks... :o

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    My dad was looking for a book for his new kindle and I grabbed it on Easons website. I used these python scripts to 'fix' the file, worked perfectly! Thanks... :o

It's just absolutely ridiculous, isn't it?? But I'm glad my query helped you too. The power of boards, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It would almost drive one to piracy.

amacachi wrote: »
    It would almost drive one to piracy.

Which is essentially what we had to do, by stripping the DRM protection from the file so it could be altered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Which is essentially what we had to do, by stripping the DRM protection from the file so it could be altered.

Exactly, it's beyond belief how retarded they are about this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

I just got a Kindle as a present, so if I understand correctly if I buy an ebook from Easons its incompatible?

Wont be going there then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I just got a Kindle as a present, so if I understand correctly if I buy an ebook from Easons its incompatible?

Wont be going there then!

I was just fooled by the Easons website as well. It says you will get an Epub for download but you actually get the Adobe Digital Editions file as mentioned above.

Whole rigmaroll then subscribing to Adobe Digital Editions and then using the file that you got from Easons to "get" the Epub file.

You then need to unDRM the file as Calibre can't be used to convert to .mobi file until this is done.

Luckily I found easy freeware program for undrmming the Adobe folder in one sweep. I can confirm it worked perfectly and I now have clear Epubs to convert.

Having said all that - I will never go near Easons for ebooks again - I may as well have gone to the Kindle store on Amazon.

Free software:

http://epubee.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

You can indeed read epub natively on the Kindle:

"Jailbreak" the Kindle and install CoolReader 3 for Android (instructions over at mobileread.com).

or

Get Duokan, an alternative OS for Kindle 3 & 4, which "installs" parallel to the Kindle OS and does not affect the Kindle's functionality. Just unzip the files via USB onto your Kindle (according the instructions on their website), now you can choose which OS to boot when you turn on the Kindle.

Free software:

http://epubee.com/

Don't you know a scam when you see one? Do yourself a favour and stay away from this guy, he's got quite a histrory. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Torqay wrote: »
    Don't you know a scam when you see one? Do yourself a favour and stay away from this guy, he's got quite a histrory. ;)

What's the scam?

Can't figure out how I have been scammed? I downloaded the software for free without any personal details and it removed the DRM allowing me to use Calibre to convert to .mobi.

What should I be worried about?:confused:

The awards on this website are fakes, the guy is also running this website:

http://epubor.com/

where he's offering exactly the same cr*p, only for for $$$.

All these Python DRM removal scripts are free and the source code is open, he only wrapped them into a GUI.

You can install these scripts as plugins in Calibre anyway.

The awards on this website are fakes, the guy is also running this website:

http://epubor.com/

where he's offering exactly the same cr*p, only for for $$$.

All these Python DRM removal scripts are free and the source code is open, he only wrapped them into a GUI.

You can install these scripts as plugins in Calibre anyway.

I still don't understand why it is a scam. You advised me to "stay away from this guy" - what harm has he done me?

All the scripts he is using are open and available for free. Selling open source code for cash is not only bad form, it may also may violate license terms. And none of the awards he's boasting with are genuine.

Wheter or not he has done any harm to you or your system I can't tell, but you shouldn't be advertising such cr*p.

Advertisement