Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Damp in Cottage

• 22-12-2011 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

We moved into a house on 13th of December. It's an old cottage (1940's) that has been updated and built onto. We have noticed a certain amount of damp since we moved in. Particularly in the newly built part (build 2year ago approx) There is no mould but we found the floor wet behind a wardrobe and when we wake up in the morning the top of the duvet is damp to touch all over plus the floor is freezing. Any paper bags I have in the room are getting damp also. What is the best thing to do? We found the one vent in the room was closed so have that open now and the heating is on several times a day for an hour or 2 at a time. We're also trying to keep the windows open for a few hours during the day.
    We're going to hire a de-humidifier to see if that helps. We've a similar problem with the kitchen, which is the old part of the house but we're told by the landlord it was well insulated. However the Presses and drawers are damp-ish.
    Any advice appreciated. Is this normal for a house that hasn't been lived in for a couple of months. I'm worried our clothes and electrical items might get damaged from this, we were told there was no damp upon moving in but obviously we've found different.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

When is your lease up?

kerash wrote: »
    We moved into a house on 13th of December. It's an old cottage (1940's) that has been updated and built onto. We have noticed a certain amount of damp since we moved in. Particularly in the newly built part (build 2year ago approx) There is no mould but we found the floor wet behind a wardrobe and when we wake up in the morning the top of the duvet is damp to touch all over plus the floor is freezing. Any paper bags I have in the room are getting damp also. What is the best thing to do? We found the one vent in the room was closed so have that open now and the heating is on several times a day for an hour or 2 at a time. We're also trying to keep the windows open for a few hours during the day.
    We're going to hire a de-humidifier to see if that helps. We've a similar problem with the kitchen, which is the old part of the house but we're told by the landlord it was well insulated. However the Presses and drawers are damp-ish.
    Any advice appreciated. Is this normal for a house that hasn't been lived in for a couple of months. I'm worried our clothes and electrical items might get damaged from this, we were told there was no damp upon moving in but obviously we've found different.

A dehumidifer will take away the water but its not something that will solve the problem. Its need a proper ventilation system to dry out the air as such. Im guessing there is a leak from a pipe behind the wardrobe or is there a drainpipe or something outside at this spot? Im guessing there is no insulation or dpc in the original part of the house. I know because I live in one that was built in 1940's and I have rising damp here. The fact you have to put on the heating so much means its loosing heat soemwhere and alot of it. My advice to you is to find out how much longer is left on your lease and talk to the landlord about it. If he refuses to do anything go see a solicitor. If the house was fine before you moved in you weren't to know it was all going to kick off once warm air hit the internal of a cold house. Just because the kitchen is insulated doesnt mean there isnt damp there and the fact that it was built only 2 years ago means that either the dpc was not installed or there is a leak again somewhere and its soaking into the walls above the dpc (if it was even installed).

You can't stay living in those conditions. The mould & damp is very very bad for your health and your pocket (cost of heating that your wasting by it not being kept in the house). Don't put on the heating cause you are only throwing money away. Dress warm and put on jackets, hats when in the house. Thats what I do and believe me it beats wasting oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I did say we moved in on 13th of December we signed a years lease.
    There is no mold.
    The heating does heat the house and has made a big improvement on when we first moved in.
    What constitutes a 'proper ventilation system'?
    The floor behind the wardrobe seems to be staying dry now, there may not be a leak. I think it was condensation pooling maybe and at night moisture from us is dropping back down causing the dampness. I just am unsure how to tackle that.
    There was a leak in the kitchen last Christmas alright so maybe it never dried out properly?

Proper ventilation system is a system that blows air into the house at a steady rate and its to fight condensation which causes mould but you said there is no mould. You need to get your landlord to sort the things that are wrong out. If you do have damp and still get condensation ( damp duvet etc) you will get the mould. It may not seem that bad now but give it time and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

You have made a good start Kerash, but it takes time for the house and rooms to dry out. Ventilation is the key as you already know. It sometimes takes a slight change in lifestyles to solve a damp/condensation problem.

I have a two building cottage, one half 1920 the other 1800's. The place was soaking when I moved in a year ago due to leaking gutters and valleys. The plaster was like bread dough. I would guess it took 6 months to completely dry the walls.

I think the steps you have taken may solve your problem but give it time.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks for the responses. I'm guessing the fact that we moved in on one of the coldest weekends of the year may have had something to do with it. Also, we've opened the small vents in the window frames which were all closed. The house definitely feels a lot warmer and drier than it did two weeks ago.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement