Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nonexistant upload speed with UPC and Cisco 3925

• 22-12-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello folks, I have a weird problem here: I basically don't have any upload speed with UPC.
    I ran the speedtest and I get 19.7 download speed, which is ok, and 0.02 upload speed, which means that I can't use Skype. I'm having problem even to keep gmail open!
    I called the infamous useless customer service with no result, so far.
    Any help?
    I tried the test with 3 different devices so it's not my computer.
    I didn't change any setting in the router, too.
    It's been like this since the first day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gpashe

I can concur 100%. Ordered 20Mb broadband (to add to existing TV) primarily so that my Mum could Skype my sister and grandchildren. Absolutley not possible with camera turned on. Skype reports poor quality signal.

Upload speeds are 0.1-0.2 Mbps - measured using speedtest.net on several devices both wired and wireless. Have tried both data points, with and without the splitter.

UPC sent out a technician who replaced the Cisco 3925 on Thursday and said the problem should be fixed. I wasn't there but he can't have run speedtest before leaving. Absolutely no difference.

So that's 3 different Cisco 3925s that this problem occurs with. This seems to be a new model (no mention of it even on the UPC site) - could it be a config issue?

Will try to do some FTP uploads before I contact UPC on 27th.

Happy Christmas

UPDATE:

2 more visits by UPC and still appalling upload speeds in the range 0.1-0.2 Mbps for a service offering 2Mbps upload. 2nd team who came said the levels were all over the place and they needed to escalate the problem to tier 2. 2 days later the next guy arrived and said that everything was perfect. At no stage has anyone actually connected to the Cisco 3925 either wired or wirelessly and run some tests. I'll be back on to them on Monday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

gpashe wrote: »
    UPDATE:

appalling upload speeds in the range 0.1-0.2 Mbps for a service offering 2Mbps upload.

try this speed test:
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/
    and see how you get on

bealtine wrote: »
    try this speed test:
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/
    and see how you get on
    That's the one I have used, as well as the native www.speedtest.net and the equivalent iPhone app. Most of the time the upload test on PC/laptop fails without completing. The download test works fine - generally showing about 19 Mb. The iPhone app always completes - have tried with 2 different iPhones and 2 different laptops. The laptops and phones work fine for other non-UPC connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Exact same issue here (Dublin 24) except I'm on the 50MB package.

Getting 49.25 down and then it just sticks on "Testing Upload" or eventually returns a slow result.

Has been "Preparing Upload" on the UPC Speed Tester since I started reading this thread and typing this message.

Have tried resets etc but no joy. A good 5 minutes so far....Normally perfect but the last two days have been awful.

Simon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Im on 20mb broadband as well my uploads aren't great either not as bad as some of you people.Im getting 0.97 to 0.55 uploads should be 2Mb and my pings seem higher not good for my online gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 d1nam0

I'm the same, I've recently got UPC on teh 20mb package. I (on speedtest.net) get < 50ms ping, 19.94mb download but when it's testing the uploda speed it just bombs out and the internet goes down....

Its weird I'll reset the router...internet is fine for about 20secs then it just dies.
    Anyone get the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Anyone get any resolution with this? I got this installed for the inlaw last week, the upload speed's been non existent to the point you cant use a lot of websites.

Had UPC in my own house, only bout a mile away and it was perfect, 25mb down and 3mb up all the time. I did have the older cisco modem (the one with the aerial)... the inlaw got the new one, could this be the issue.

I'm gonna ring tomorrow and see if they can swap over the modem. I called today for some help and was pretty much told to fúck off and call tomorrow to talk to the home install team. They told me they could switch over the modem, but they wouldnt, as it wasnt their issue....

Nope. I am still in dialogue with the Home Install team. I called them last week and was told after some consultation that the manager was going to do some sort of further diagnostic. He was to call me back after 1 hour. That was last Tuesday. Still waiting. I am going to call tomorrow and ask to speak to him. I they can't sort it and demonstrate the upload speeds that are being paid for then I will discontinue the service and get them give me a full refund.

Update: just after speaking with Home Install team, who are as helpful as they can be from afar. They are going to send out someone to look at the issue by actually plugging their laptop into the modem (none of the 3 previous visits have done this). I have tested it hard wired with 3 different laptops as well as with iPhone but they have to do it with their kit. Let's wait and see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Turns put it was my router. UPC had sent me the new 3925. I had an older UPC 2925 router and got then to switch it over. Works a great now.

From doing some searching I found a good few people that had problems with the 3925... see if they can give you an older router OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

MrQuimper wrote: »
    Hello folks, I have a weird problem here: I basically don't have any upload speed with UPC.
    I ran the speedtest and I get 19.7 download speed, which is ok, and 0.02 upload speed, which means that I can't use Skype. I'm having problem even to keep gmail open!
    I called the infamous useless customer service with no result, so far.
    Any help?
    I tried the test with 3 different devices so it's not my computer.
    I didn't change any setting in the router, too.
    It's been like this since the first day.

step 1 phone upc

step 2 ask for a tier 2 agent (tier 1 dont have the roles to do it)

step 3 ask tier 2 agent to force a firmware upgrade on that cisco router

i used to have loads of trouble with the cisco router until i got the tier 2 guy to force the firmware upgrade for the cisco router at my dad's office.

since the upgrade it works fine now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭James_sb

step 1 phone upc

step 2 ask for a tier 2 agent (tier 1 dont have the roles to do it)

step 3 ask tier 2 agent to force a firmware upgrade on that cisco router

i used to have loads of trouble with the cisco router until i got the tier 2 guy to force the firmware upgrade for the cisco router at my dad's office.

since the upgrade it works fine now

I am having the same problem and they wouldn't do that for me.

I called up Technical Support first, who got me to call Self-Install. Self install checked my modem from their end and saw the problem. I asked about the firmware upgrade. I was told that 'as you are connected and download is working fine, that suggests it's a firewall or a local issue with your computer. We'll send out an engineer in 2 days to check it out for you'.

Stuck with the issue for the moment at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

James_sb wrote: »
    I am having the same problem and they wouldn't do that for me.

I called up Technical Support first, who got me to call Self-Install. Self install checked my modem from their end and saw the problem. I asked about the firmware upgrade. I was told that 'as you are connected and download is working fine, that suggests it's a firewall or a local issue with your computer. We'll send out an engineer in 2 days to check it out for you'.

Stuck with the issue for the moment at least...

How many computers is the problem occurring on? If you have only have the problem on one computer it's a local issue, if you have not tested it on multiple computers you should do that.

Will UPC charge you a fee if the engineer discovers you had a firewall or bittorrent client running the whole time and could have fixed it yourself?

dusf wrote: »
    How many computers is the problem occurring on? If you have only have the problem on one computer it's a local issue, if you have not tested it on multiple computers you should do that.

Will UPC charge you a fee if the engineer discovers you had a firewall or bittorrent client running the whole time and could have fixed it yourself?

Unfortunately, I have only the one computer here to test this on at the moment, so it may well be a local issue. Though I have been using wireless in this house, with UPC, on this computer before with no problems
    (Housemate just moved out and I only got this new account with UPC set up two days ago, which is when the issue started. So I'm inclined to think it's not a local issue.)

As for the charge, I don't think they will. I asked the guy on the phone if there would be any charge and he said no, that an engineer call out is free. So I would have thought that meant no matter what issue they find.

Also, I don't use Bittorrent. I've done some googling and a lot of people posting this issue talk about that, but I've never used it, so I know that's not it. As for firewalls, I tried turning off the SPI firewall on the modem, with no benefit. And I don't know what firewalls are running on Mac OS 10.5, but they didn't affect my last internet connection..

Hopefully the engineer can shed some light on this one for me. I'll post back if anything comes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Your saying it started with the new account, and also that you are using a mac would make me think it's not a local issue, macs tend to just work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dusf wrote: »
    macs tend to just work :)

First page on the MAC forum. Because there is less of something you will see less problems associated with it. That doesn't mean its a better product. And because of OSX's strict driver control and hardware limitations I'm quite shocked in general at the problems I see compared to Windows machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Have this issue with a new install and cisco epc 3925. Previous tenant had 25mb+epc2425 and no issues, I find webpages slow to load, can't upload to facebook/imageshack, get poor performance in bittorrent because of lack of upload(can't communicate with peers) and speedtest.net won't work on upload and the upc speedtest pauses for ~30s on upload section and eventually returns an upload of ~0.25Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Called UPC last night, first guy I called changed the channel and said give it 15 minutes and reboot the router. Did that, same issue. Called back again and in fairness the guy was very helpful, showed me how to change channel on router. Went through all 13 channels, same issue. Highest upload speed I hit was .13 megs which is still rubbish. Any ideas next?

Sorted. (I'm posting this in the EPC 2425/3925 thread also)

UPC Engineer called out and fixed it for me (spoiler: he changed the modem - I now have a EPC 2425 that he had in his van).

So a bit more detail:

When he called, he said he had never seen upload speed completely gone like this before (seemed a sound/genuine guy, so I believe him). So people should call in about their problem and let UPC know. I showed him trying to upload to an FTP and only getting 2kbps, and he tried the UPC speed test, and upload part didn't work at all.

He checked out my signal strength, which he said was way too high (which is just as bad as too low.. see attached screenshots of before and after), so he put an adaptor between the UPC wall socket and the cable which normalised that, but it didn't help the upload speeds.

Then he swapped the modem (EPC 3925, for the EPC 2425) and rang UPC base to get them to update their registry with the details of the 2425 so it would work (they use authentication, so only a recognised modem will work with their network).

That takes about 20 minutes to get through, so in the meantime he went outside the house and ran a new cable from the UPC main splitter box into my house. He said this was just getting my set up in line with what it should be, in reference to signal strength) and that it is the new modem that will fix the issue.

When the new modem connected, it works like a charm. Back to what my speeds should be.

One slight snag... the EPC 2425, when using a MAC to access it, tries to ask for a password to access the 'setup' page even though there is none (apparently the 'advance setup' does require a password, but the engineer didn't tell me what it is). The engineer said it will happen the first few times, but I haven't tried it again to see if I can log in now. It just means I can't change the wi-fi password from the default. Though I can connect with a PC as soon as I get my hands on one.

#Edit# I should also mention the entire thing was free, from the phone calls, to the engineer call out, and the new modem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Yeah thats the final thing Im going to do. Going to check this with an eternet cable later and see what speeds I get, after that Im goingto disable firewall, if that doesnt help Ill be doing exactly what you just did today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Tuesday, no upload speed.
    Wednesday, no upload speed.
    Thursday, no upload speed.
    Friday afternoon when the engineer arrives, perfect upload speed.

He replaced it with another 3925 anyway, and 3 days later it is still performing flawlessly.

James_sb wrote: »
    One slight snag... the EPC 2425, when using a MAC to access it, tries to ask for a password to access the 'setup' page even though there is none (apparently the 'advance setup' does require a password, but the engineer didn't tell me what it is). The engineer said it will happen the first few times, but I haven't tried it again to see if I can log in now. It just means I can't change the wi-fi password from the default. Though I can connect with a PC as soon as I get my hands on one.

#Edit# I should also mention the entire thing was free, from the phone calls, to the engineer call out, and the new modem...

The 2425 has no password by default - you leave both fields blank. Safari on Mac OS doesn't like blank fields, you might need to use Firefox instead.

He was right about the signal strength, a receive power level of +20dBmV is way too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 paul ashmore

Hi my name is Paul Ashmore. I got the internet and phone on 7th September 2011 and the contract was Finshed on the 7th September 2012 and i need to canel the contract because off personal reasons at home.

Name: paul ashmore
    address: 9 seapoint court apartments bray co wicklow.
    phone number: 0876411327
    Account number: 76563254.

Anybody no how to cancel your contract with upc on this please let me know? thank u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Paul, remove your details, No one here can end your contract, You need to contact UPC

Hello. dose any1 know how to cancel upc internet and phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Call them....?

Advertisement