Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat5 wiring issue...

Options
  • 22-12-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

I am running some cat5 from my garage conversion, where my main router is into the living room where my second router is and I'm having a problem!

I have, up to now, used a very long cat 5 cable from a lan port on the main router to a lan port on the second router, out a window and back in the living room window. This has worked perfectly, but looks bad :)

So, I purchased some cat 5 cable and 2 wall sockets. I have connected it all together and it doesn't work!

I am assuming the problem is in the wiring in of the wall sockets. The wall socket 'receivers' (for want of a better word) are colour coded for the 4 pairs and the cable is colour coded so seemed simple.

I didn't strip back the individual colour coded cables, I just pushed them down into the receivers using the back of a stanley knife.

This is probably the problem? Should I strip them back first? Or am I just doing it all wrong?

Any guidance appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

Hi..
    First of all get your self a decent little punchdown termination tool..
    Pushing in wires wit a stanley knife... :rolleyes: Putting it politly Not how its done..
    for your information you dont strip the wires as its called an idc crimp (insulation displacement crimp) if your not sure on wiring standards just keep bothe cat5 modules on either end wired the exact same way and it'll work.
    ps Im not saying the stanley wont work but you could damage a module and not realise..best of get a punch down tool..Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Yep, I thought there had to be a bit more to it :). I'll see I'd I can pick up one of those tools tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.

Cat5 wrote: »
    Hi..
    First of all get your self a decent little punchdown termination tool..
    Pushing in wires wit a stanley knife... :rolleyes: Putting it politly Not how its done..
    for your information you dont strip the wires as its called an idc crimp (insulation displacement crimp) if your not sure on wiring standards just keep bothe cat5 modules on either end wired the exact same way and it'll work.
    ps Im not saying the stanley wont work but you could damage a module and not realise..best of get a punch down tool..Cheers

Job done! Didn't think I would get one today but picked one up at my suppliers and took me about 10 minutes to complete the job and be up and running.

THis is for the Apple TV over Christmas so very important :)

Many thanks for the help Cat5, enjoy your Christmas.

Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Why do you have 2 routers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Why do you have 2 routers?

Whilst all he needed was a switch, a lot of people tend to have a second router that is used as a switch. I find that most of the time its because they get beg, borrow or steal one from a relative or go out and grab the first thing on the shelf that has RJ45 ports. In any case by using the lan ports on the second router - it works

• Advertisement

I have 2 routers because my broadband comes in to my office in the garage extension, into my NTl modem and then into my VOIP router, which is quite old now. It has wireless but is not strong enough to penetrate 2 brick walls into the living room.

So I have a second router in the living room now which I use for wireless, and also wired into my Apple TV. It's all working out very well now.

Would a switch accomplish the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

curiousb wrote: »

Would a switch accomplish the same thing?

in this case you need a wireless access point.

A router routes traffic from the Internet to devices on your internal LAN. So you should only have one since you only have one internet line coming in.

You can get issues from two routers as they both translate IP addresses. This is referred to double NAT (network address translation).

As mentioned a wireless access point is what you need.

In saying that, if everything you use the network for is working as it stands with the two routers then I would advise you keep it as is.

Thanks for the info. It's working fine at the moment, so I'l leave well enough alone!

But if I encounter any problems down the line, I'll know what to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

curiousb wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. It's working fine at the moment, so I'l leave well enough alone!

But if I encounter any problems down the line, I'll know what to change.

Will work fine for browsing, but will cause lots of problems for anything that needs open ports, gaming, Skype etc

• Advertisement

True.

Although you can get around most issues by using things like bridging and DMZ.

If you start running into issues though it's best to get a cheap €20 switch and replace the second router.

Again though wait until you get issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

If all he wanted was a switch he could just ignore the WAN port on his router. This will work for wireless on most boxes too. All you need to do is turn off DHCP/uPnP/anything other routing services it'll let you turn off. You won't get double NAT as the "router" isn't routing or NATing anything.

Advertisement