Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light switches, which way is on?

• 22-12-2011 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Our electrician has put in our switches with some of then turning on by flicking the switch upwards. When I asked the foreman to have them changed to the right way he told me that a light switch always goes on by flicking up? Is he right or am I being fobbed off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

If its just a 0ne way setup(as in theres only one switch) then flicking the switch down is usually on but in the case of two way switching(were there is more than one switch controlling the same lights) it will be either up or down.

Hope that makes sense....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

paddymick wrote: »
    If its just a 0ne way setup(as in theres only one switch) then flicking the switch down is usually on
    +1

It is a quick simple fix anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

+2
    he would have it fixed in the time he spent bull*****ing you

as 2011 said ,its a quick fix

unscrew the 2 fixing screws
    turn switch upside/down
    re-screw the 2 fixing screws
    no need to change any electrical connections
    (just be careful if there is any fillers or paint around the switch,use a stanley knife to the edge before you remove it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

meercat wrote: »
    +2
    he would have it fixed in the time he spent bull*****ing you

as 2011 said ,its a quick fix

unscrew the 2 fixing screws
    turn switch upside/down
    re-screw the 2 fixing screws
    no need to change any electrical connections
    (just be careful if there is any fillers or paint around the switch,use a stanley knife to the edge before you remove it)

:eek:

:o ten years living with an upside down switch and now I know..

That's the job for tomorrow...

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

foxinsox wrote: »
    :eek:

:o ten years living with an upside down switch and now I know..

That's the job for tomorrow...

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

No wonder you always thought the room was darker with the light on:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

This reminds of the time I was putting up a light fitting for a friend of mine. She asked me about one of the other switches in the house being upside down. Her Ex-Boyfriend told her it would be a massive job to change and require re-wiring. I swapped it around as she was talking to me. She was amazed!

Advertisement